Warranty refused on 2011 CX-9

sanalkmr

:
Mazda CX-9
Hi, I took my CX9 in for 30K maintenance - made them aware of a noise we've been hearing since the day we bought the car. When we took it in for maintenance the "Check engine" light had come on, but Oil level light was not lit; and the Engine temp indicators were not showing anything. We had pointed out this issue earlier and they said there's no issues with it. The dealership looked at it and said that there is a problem and engine needs to be replaced.
We have the '60 months/60K warranty' on it. Called Mazda - and they won't cover it (replacing the engine) citing "lack of maintenance". The new engine is going to cost 8K! Anyone else have this issue with Mazda CX9.

I'm so sorry to hear this. First off, what kind of noise are you having since new? And was it documented anywhere on your service records? If it is, then they can't argue it. And do you have all you service records for you car since you took ownership if it? If so, then you should be OK. Even if you did your own oil changes, a receipt for the oil and filter should be sufficient.

Please keep us all posted here. If Mazda won't take care of it for you, then you may have to resort to legal action and taking it to small claims court with all you documentation. Let's hope things work in your favor.

Good luck, if you don't have service history or proof of regular oil changes there isn't much you can do.

Hi, I took my CX9 in for 30K maintenance - made them aware of a noise we've been hearing since the day we bought the car. When we took it in for maintenance the "Check engine" light had come on, but Oil level light was not lit; and the Engine temp indicators were not showing anything. We had pointed out this issue earlier and they said there's no issues with it. The dealership looked at it and said that there is a problem and engine needs to be replaced.
We have the '60 months/60K warranty' on it. Called Mazda - and they won't cover it (replacing the engine) citing "lack of maintenance". The new engine is going to cost 8K! Anyone else have this issue with Mazda CX9.

Lack of maintenance? At 30,000 miles, that would mean 4 oil changes. If you have evidence these were done, you should not be denied coverage.

Thanks everyone..I dont have all the receipts unfortunately..i did not know this was a big deal. The Oil level indicator light has never been "On". I can't understand how this engine can go bust in 35K miles..with all the hype about modern technology and computers in the engine..what's the point?! Other cars have never given me this problem.

Q for the OP: how often did you do the oil change?
How many times you have it done before 30K?
You should have done between 4 to 6 oil changes before 30K.

If you don't have the receipts goto where ever you got the oil changed at and see if they can print you off a copy. They should have it on file in the system.

Did you change the oil yourself? If the car has been at the dealer before, what was it in for? Just the noise you heard? And the check engine light?

This story itself sounds fishy. Did they buy the car new or used? Did they change oil themselves or at the dealer and can they document that? Without the info it looks like it is just a troll (I hope I am wrong on this).

If the dealer did the service on the car I can guarantee they would have honored the warranty.

If the dealer did the service on the car I can guarantee they would have honored the warranty.

+1 on this... I work at a dealership and as much of a PITA it is to go through all the bs to get it approved, if there is any evidence of service and complaints in the history. then the dealership HAS to honor it due to it being a previous issue that had not been addressed. just give them a hard time and show them records and documentation that you had concerns with the car from day 1 plus evidence of maintenance .

So we're going to need more information because you're being vague.
Did you do all required oil changes? What type of maintenance did they say you skipped? Is the vehicle stock? How long did you drive it after check engine light came on?

So we're going to need more information because you're being vague.
Did you do all required oil changes? What type of maintenance did they say you skipped? Is the vehicle stock? How long did you drive it after check engine light came on?

Also because I'm not familiar with the CX: Did you run it low on oil? Does it have a dipstick (vs digital readout)?

The only thing I can point to is that the 'oil' light is not a 'low oil' light it's a 'you did something wrong and it's sucking air' light.

The low oil 'thing' to look at is the dipstick, which you should check with ANY weird noise or at least every two weeks.

The only thing I can point to is that the 'oil' light is not a 'low oil' light it's a 'you did something wrong and it's sucking air' light.

The low oil 'thing' to look at is the dipstick, which you should check with ANY weird noise or at least every two weeks.

This story itself sounds fishy. Did they buy the car new or used? Did they change oil themselves or at the dealer and can they document that? Without the info it looks like it is just a troll (I hope I am wrong on this).

Thinking the same thing...

Thinking the same thing...

If nothing else, it's a lesson learned. If you don't service the car within the confines of the warranty (for example, I have to service the car every 6 months or 6,000 miles, whichever comes first) then they are definitely within their rights to not honor the warranty. Make sure to read the warranty, and keep the service receipts!

This is the reason that I always have my vehicles serviced at the deal while they are under warranty. I know that it cost more but it covers me.

I never know that the CX9 has a low oil indicator? I have the same year and i never seen that. Maybe the maintenance light?

Back