Want to get a motorcycle but have no idea were to start.....

:
Mazda RX7 '87' & Hyundai Tiburon GT '05'
Hey guys,

I'm getting my M Permit and License (via training course) hopefully within the next few weeks. So I would LOVE to pick up an affordable starter bike early in the summer... But to be honest I have no idea were to start? I'm thinking something small along the lines or a Ninja 250r...I'm 5ft 4in and about 140lbs....so I think I'd be comfortable with a smaller, and "slower" bike. I don't want to kill myself getting started.

I honestly don't about insurance prices etc. Any riders out there that can give some advice? Thanks!

My main advice would be to not buy a 250r... you will grow out of it and want something faster after 2 weeks. I started on a 93 Honda CBR 600 F2, easily a good starter bike, but is fast enough to keep you entertained. It was older but in good shape as I knew i didn't want to lay down a new bike.

I would start with a 600.. you can ride them slow, but are plenty fast and easy to grow into.

You'll love it!

well, i'd recommend not getting a permit and just paying to take the class..... at the end you just have a liscence and an armory of skills preparing you for the street.

although MSP2k3's advice is very valid a lot depends on rider skill and comfort. either way, if you are an irresponsible rider you will kill yourself whether on a 250 or a 600 one way just may be faster. i was 5"7 and ~140lbs and i started on a 93 GSXR 750. i was a dumbass and didn't take the class and therefore i wrecked a lot. luckily none of them were serious. take the MSF course, you will thank yourself in the end.

Joys of owning a motorcycle

lowpro is right. I guess it depends on your riding style, but i took it very easy at the beginning. I just know you get comfortable with whatever you have after some time.... and for most people a 250 becomes lacking. A 600 gave me all the speed i needed and then some.

I agree with lowpro on the course as well... take the course and you'll be gtg after.

Have a healthy respect for the bike and don't ride outside your comfort zone!

Thanks guys! Oh I'm definately taking the course! But I thought I needed an M permit to take the class? (MA) And I'm glad your weren't too banged up low pro. I'm pretty responsible with my life, lol. So I'd take it easy.

well, it might be different per state but my sister, with no prior motorcycle experience only the intrest in riding, signed up for the class, took it, passed, and then went and got her motorcycle license

for insurance... i got a 82 honda 450. full coverage im paying 105 a year. im 18 and have a few speeding tickets... so its not too bad

A 600 is a great choice for a starter bike. But I got bored of a 600 after 1 year. If you have never rode a bike before, the training coarse is good but if you have any experance at all its a waste of time. The best coarse I took was a road racing coarse. I learned more about bike control and what to do when in a bad situation from a road racing coarse than I picked up in years of street riding.

i say find a friend with a dirtbike and practice on that for a while before buying your own bike. a weekend in a MSF course isn't going to get you comfortable enough on a bike if you've never ridden. on a dirtbike it doesn't matter if you drop it or anything so you'll get used to being on a bike and hopefully once you're comfortable there the transition to a street bike will be easy and you can buy something a little nicer without the worry of dropping it or wrecking

I am 100% sure the motorcycle saftey class is NOT a waste of time!

I've grown up on dirt bikes, and, the class was no waste of time for me

I also started on a CBR600F2, and honostly, you won't get bored with it if you aren't doing anything stupid.

Yeah, if you wanna race, just go drive it off a cliff. I am sorry, but, i can't stand guys racing street bikes on the street.

If this bike is going to be street only, a 250 will be MORE than enough.

MSP2k3 I bet i could outrun you around a track on a 250R with you on your F2. I can't stand drag racing by the way

If you are new to bikes, the 250R will be more than enough. If you can learn to master that bike, as you do get comfortable, i then suggest lookin to upgrade the bike.

But, i will also say a CBR 600 F2 is pretty much the perfect starter bike. It's not new, so, you're not worried about dropping it. Parts can be found all over ebay, it has MORE than enough power to start out on, corners great(was the best bike in its day and dominated the circuits)

If you're out to race everything that moves, please don't get a bike.

I don't really have anything useful to bring to this thread, but I've been eyeballing one of the Suzuki SV650s for a while now. Anyone have feedback on these? A buddy of mine has a 2005 and loves it.

2005%20Suzuki%20SV650S~0.jpg

MSP2k3 I bet i could outrun you around a track on a 250R with you on your F2.

Lets Race! lol jk... I agree with what you are saying about the 250R being enough for the street... i was just trying to keep him from buying 2 bikes as the F2 can be ridden by a novice np.

Lets Race! lol jk... I agree with what you are saying about the 250R being enough for the street... i was just trying to keep him from buying 2 bikes as the F2 can be ridden by a novice np.

Very well put.

F2 is ALMOST too much bike to learn on, but, it doesn't have the *snap your neck* torque like the new RR's do.

Good god that thing is insane

So, in conclusion, CBR 600 F2 is what i consider the perfect starter bike.

And side note, the F2 is about the most comfortable sport bike i've ever riden. I've been on early 2000 GSXR's, a busa, ZX6,10, and 12R's, R6, R1, and, all those bikes, for me, put too much weight on the wrists.

The F2 sits you up enough that you could ride it all day and not hurt your wrists

but, throw a double bubble windscreen on, and you can tuck totally out of the wind as well

And, i've been on a 650R as well, and, i'm gonna be honost, you look, well, gay riding it.

I felt like i was riding a scooter while riding that.

Last edited:
F2 is ALMOST too much bike to learn on, but, it doesn't have the *snap your neck* torque like the new RR's do.

Yeah, i have a friend with an 05 600RR and i absolutely love that bike... i also rode an 06 1000RR and that thing is just stupid lol, way to much bike for me. The 600 gives me all i need and more.

Im going to my test on the 30th!! i cant wait.
Then i will be shoping around for something in the 600 range. And a Sport Touring class. To avoid the insurance as much as possible!

I am 100% sure the motorcycle saftey class is NOT a waste of time!

I've grown up on dirt bikes, and, the class was no waste of time for me
i agree. i'm not saying go ride dirt bikes instead of taking the class. i'm saying use dirt bikes as additional training because if the only time you've been on a bike is that weekend long MSF course you're likely going to want more time before buying a nice shiny bike of your own

Dirt bikes and road bikes are two TOTALLY different monsters.

That week of motorcycle class isn't to learn throttle control or how to shift, although, they do teach that

But, you can't learn the fundementals of street riding, how to scan, and ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS be a few step ahead on a dirtbike

I can spot cars and know what they're gonna do it before my wife ever even sees em.

My buddy who rides the 650R also now sees that way too. After taking the course, you learn to watch traffic in a whole new way

And down here, if you pass the course, you just go get a new license

Present your certification, and you dont' have to take any DMV tests

Go to any cycle salvage yard and you will see a lot of torn up(mostly front end caved in) bikes from 600CC and up, not to many smaller engined bikes, most of them happen the first 2 months of ownership, take the gentlemans advice about a smaller dirt/street bike and learn to ride in many differant situations before you even think about a larger motered bike, remember anyone can get a 600cc bike to go 140 mph but not anyone can slow it down fast or avoid hazardous situation when needed.

Back