VW Jetta TDI eligible for $1,300 tax credit in U.S.

TinmanMS6

:
2012 Subaru WRX
VW_TDI_main01.jpg

Volkswagen has announced that buyers of the Jetta TDI sedan and SportWagen in the U.S. are eligible for a $1,300 tax credit thats normally reserved for hybrid vehicles. The Internal Revenue Service (IRS) has issued a certification letter affirming that the Jetta TDI qualifies for Americas Advanced Lean Burn Technology Motor Vehicle income tax credit, which the agency says is applicable because of the cars impressive fuel economy rating.

The Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) rates the Jetta TDI at 29mpg (8.11L/100km) in the city and 40mpg (5.88L/100km) on the highway. By comparison, the Toyota Prius, which the EPA rates as the most fuel-efficient vehicle on the market, scores a fuel economy rating of 48mpg in the city (4.9L/100km) and 45mpg (5.22L/100km) on the highway.

Pricing for the Jetta TDI starts at $21,990 for the sedan and $23,590 for the SportWagen, and when combined with the $1,300 tax credit makes the oil-burner a very competitive option in the fuel-miser segment.

The $1,300 tax credit provides an even greater value to the upcoming Jetta TDI sedan and SportWagen, said Volkswagen U.S. COO Mark Barnes. Our clean diesel vehicles offer consumers the fuel efficiency that theyre looking for while providing power, utility, performance, safety and excellent value.

Do some math. Still cheaper to fuel a diesel than a comparable gasoline car. $1300 tax credit helps make it cheaper overall.

TinManMS6 has a point, especially if your driving a car that requires premium, then the diesel will save you even more.

The only thing I'd ever drive a diesel of is a crossover or SUV. I just like to rev too much.

Then again, that V12 TDI audi R8 definitely spoke to me. :)

Do some math. Still cheaper to fuel a diesel than a comparable gasoline car. $1300 tax credit helps make it cheaper overall.

+1, look at these numbers, damn

48mpg in the city (4.9L/100km) and 45mpg (5.22L/100km) on the highway.

Thats the older model tdi. The new ones don't get as good of mileage due to all the emissions crap they had to do to be 50 state legal.

The new one I drove like a baby and got 41mpg. Still not bad, but I would but an older one and make my own fuel.

The new one I drove like a baby and got 41mpg. Still not bad, but I would but an older one and make my own fuel.

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=175691&page=3
When I first bought my 06 TDI Jetta in Dec. of 2005 - I was a little dissapointed to find that my mileage was about 37mpg or so at best. I got my first 800 mile tank at about 40K and I recently drove from Tucson Arizona to Sacramento nonstop about 62 to 66 mph the whole way and milked 891.4 miles on 15.6 gallons. That's 57mpg! Car has about 63K now (I drive a lot) and doing well except for my DSG overload protector acting up and opening up the clutches all the way - gear selector display on the dash started blinking - tak'n her in Friday to see what's up.

I wish I could figure out how to attach this image... anyone know?

Tom.

;)

o6' is not the new tdi. The 06 is a pumpe endusa (sp?) motor. The new tdi is the 50 state legal one that isn't quite for sale yet (in ny anyway). Completely different head to toe. So many emissions stuff on it, I am dreading the first one with a problem.

Back