USB adapter for aftermarket head units

cohocarl

:
2015 CX-5 Touring
I've done a lot of searching, but can't find a definite answer on if the Metra "AX-MAZUSB" usb adapter will work on my '15. I would like to retain the original Mazda usb/aux outlet in center console with an aftermarket stereo if possible. From what I have read, the "AX-MAZUSB" adapter only worked on '13's (?)

Any input would be appreciated.

Last edited:
I have picked one up from the bay, but unfortunately, it was a bad one, I had to send it back today and I have ordered another one. One of the pins, did not have continuity.
It connects for sure to the stock connector, but I can't say yet anything, about it's functionality.
I have a 2014 Touring w/o Bose.

I've done a lot of searching, but can't find a definite answer on if the Metra "AX-MAZUSB" usb adapter will work on my '15. I would like to retain the original Mazda usb/aux outlet in center console with an aftermarket stereo if possible. From what I have read, the "AX-MAZUSB" adapter only worked on '13's (?)

Any input would be appreciated.

I have a 2014 GT. This adapter didn't work for me. I spoke with Metra/Axxess about it and they said it probably won't work on anything that is 2014 and newer. I just ran a new USB up into the arm rest console.

This is the one that I have purchased. The plug, physically connects to the Mazda plug. I just have to receive the second one to be sure that it will work connection wise as well.
https://www.ebay.com (commissions earned)
I have measured, with an ohm meter and one of the pins(left side in USB connector) did not show continuity.

This is the one that I have purchased. The plug, physically connects to the Mazda plug. I just have to receive the second one to be sure that it will work connection wise as well.
https://www.ebay.com (commissions earned)
I have measured, with an ohm meter and one of the pins(left side in USB connector) did not show continuity.

I'm not sure what is your point. The adapter you linked is the same plug in question. It will not work.

The USB connector at the radio, is routed into the Bluetooth unit?
I did not know about that.

I installed a nav unit into a 2014 CX-5 at work and retained the factory USB with the Toyota USB plug made by Axxess/Metra. (part# ax-toyusb) Now this CX-5 did not have factory bluetooth so the plug was located behind the radio and worked perfectly. If the USB is routed to the bluetooth unit behind the glove box you might be able to plug it into that location depending on the plug design. You won't be using the factory bluetooth with an aftermarket unit anyways. If it breaks the USB plug into standard wires and just goes into a molex plug then that idea is shot and something like what RedBaron did would be necessary.

Anybody has experience with the Bluetooth unit? What kind of plugs is using?
I can do what RedBaron did, but I was hoping for something plug and play.

Back