Upgrading brakes?

ruby.w

:
too numerous to name...
So...my brakes aren't really inadequate, but I feel like they could use an upgrade. I feel like the handling of my MZ5 is outstripping its braking, and while I don't drive like a maniac I do like those to be balanced.

What's the prevailing wisdom for a Mazda5? I've read about the Mazdaspeed 3 rotor/caliper swap, do people know what size wheels are needed to clear it (I have stock 16" ones on my Sport I'm otherwise happy with)? I know that the rears are larger than the MS3 and people swap them the other way - funny!

If that would be too much of a hassle I'd welcome brake pad upgrade suggestions. I can deal with dust, it's part of life, just not pad material that will grind my rotors to bits.

I do have to say, I love how well the stock handbrake grips for what it is. I grew up a short drive from a very hilly, tourist-heavy city and learned from seeing some horrible accidents how important that is - I always curb my wheels and park in first, but the handbrake seems to grip extremely well on its own. I learned to drive UK-style and consequently I use mine a lot while driving.

Thanks!

Ruby

2013 Mazda5 6mt

This is a touchy subject and differs for everyone based on their needs. Brakes pads work equally well across all models so it is not specific to a car. You can get better answer just googling feedback. I am a huge fan of Hawk pads – top notch stuff and really not that expensive considering their purpose and how long you use them!..

This is a good start: https://www.topbrakes.com/c/faq

Upgrading rotor or caliper size is, in the vast majority of cases, unnecessary unless you take the vehicle to the track where the brakes are repeated applied hard from high speeds. That said, if you were to go with larger rotors or calipers, you would likely need to go with larger wheels. 16" wheels over a stock 12" rotor does not offer much room to grow.

For better brake feel on a daily driver, try different pads or a brake fluid flush.

Thanks to platform sharing, we can take a SWAG at it. The key is to look at it from a percentage gain (or loss?). Use your favorite internet publication for numbers. BIG assumption is that OEM parts are of equal/similar performance tier across the 3 cars (tires, suspension, pads/rotors, MC, etc.).
X year Mazda 3 60-0 = Y1 ft
X year Mazdaspeed 3 60-0 = Y2 ft
X year Mazda 5 60- 0 = Y3 ft

Calc the percentage gain (or should that be lost?) for MS3 over stand Mazda 3. This percentage can be applied to the stock value of the Mazda 5 as the performance increase (or should be that decrease?). Mazda could have stuck with standard Mazda 3 brakes on the Speed3 after all.

But it is not all roses. Those MS3 caliper bodies and rotors are HEAVY AS HELL; seriously, you can have a workout just lifting them. Significant heavier than stock Mz5. This added unsprung weight impacts suspension and ride quality. To keep it in perceptive, folks pay top dollar for lightweight forged wheels to save unsprung weight. Well, the MS3 upgrade would be a downgrade. Everything is a trade-off. Oh, and the MS3 caliper bulge requires spacers to clear stock rim design. Don’t know about 16” fitment.

I’m eyeing the new Outlander as our replacement and I’m already looking at Evo dual piston caliper upgrade, woot woot! :D

Thanks all for the advice - I'll start with a fluid change and better pads. In the (distant) past I did brake upgrades on various older American cars, though I think they were in much more need of it!

I just have found myself in love with this silly car, and want to do things right the first time. I plan on having it a good long time!

Ruby

2013 Mazda5 6mt

Back