Ugh Road Debris vs CX5 2016.5

moJoe

:
2016 Mazda CX5 GT w/ Tech
Not a happy camper as I'm that guy that quick details my car a lot and keeps it pristine. Stormy dark night on the highway last night, some type of heavy debris smack in the middle of the lane. Swerved to avoid it, here's the outcome, not sure of damage underneath yet. A quick look under seemed ok, no leaking fluids I saw. Just ughhhhhh 4 month old car :(:

I've gotten worse out when my wife grazed the side of the garage. :) It should come out with a medium duty polish, followed up by a fine polish and sealant.

A little 3M liquid rubbing compound should do the trick...

10121-detail.jpg

Thanks guys will try the 3m if you think that's best, I actually cleaned it off a bit today and the scruffs weren't that bad moreso just that large gash under the headlight was the worst in (in 2nd pic). Hopefully it'll all buff out!

Need sports suspension
Oh yea, I'm sure that would've for sure made his swerve work and avoid the debris. Then when he doesn't, it does even more damage sitting lower and getting stuck under the front. and probably taking out the ridiculously expensive headlight which it already came close to doing anyways.

Any compound with a heavier cut foam pad on a dual action polisher will remove those marks or at least greatly reduce them. I would follow up the compound step with a polish and a light cutting pad. I'm a big fan of the Meguairs M105 and M205 combo with Lake country pads. I would start with M205 on an orange or white pad and see if that removes the marks, If it does good. If not, then go up to the M105 on a yellow or orange pad then back to the M205. 5" pads with a 5" backing plate on a DA polisher is your best bet. Harbor freights DA polisher is actually pretty decent and doesn't brake the bank to much. I've been using that machine for several years with out problem, I did throw out the crappy backing plate that comes with it and got a Meguiars 5" backing plate.

I had almost the same thing happen to my new CX-5 last June. Almost the same area too. 2 months old and it gets scuffed bad. Was able to buff out all the scuffs except when I looked sideways I noticed the panel was slightly creased. The light had to be a certain way to see it. Apparently the sheet metal is thin, really thin. Also the wheel well trim was scuffed and you can't really fix that.
After another month decided to take it to a body shop. Estimates were all over the place but decided to go with a small shop near my house, they were the cheapest too.
Excellent reviews and decent staff. They did the repairs and paint in two days and the car was returned looking like it just came out of the showroom. Around $700.00.
Well worth it. So if you can't get it where you want it there's always that route. Shop around and check reviews. Shops aren't busy this time of year so you might be able to deal.

Thanks for all the input guys, will see what I can do myself and I do have the $500 deductible insurance route if it really can't be restored to satisfactory condition.

Thanks for all the input guys, will see what I can do myself and I do have the $500 deductible insurance route if it really can't be restored to satisfactory condition.

The only scratches that won't come out will be in the lower black valance. Other than that, you should be able to remove those scratches by hand. Take your time and don't get too aggressive.

I feel your pain. I took which must of been a rock hit to my hood Northwest of the driver side headlight. Not huge but dented the metal and well, there goes any possibility of getting it out. So sad. Touch up pain helped cover it but doesn't take out metal damage.

Lower Black plastic piece of the Valance!

The only scratches that won't come out will be in the lower black valance. Other than that, you should be able to remove those scratches by hand. Take your time and don't get too aggressive.

My departed CX-5 got nailed a few months ago, also by road crapola (the black plastic low hanging, impossible to repair,valance that houses the fog lights). I decided not to replace the plastic piece and just avoided looking at it...OMG...that trim piece hangs SO low to the ground...Most of people never even saw it!

Back