tranny binding?

What would cause binding sounds from the engine/tranny area when slowly rolling at full steering lock? All else is fine; diff seems to be working.

Back story: due to unexpected wrist pin failure cylinder #3 (ticking noise), had short block replaced by certified mazdaspeed dealer using OEM parts ($$$- yikes- that's another story) and while they were at it, had them replace the clutch. Car only has ~65k on it; stock. I'd like to go back to the dealer, but only armed w/ possibilities. I've autox'd it twice at the end of the season last year after the new parts were put in (and nothing broke!), but generally don't put many miles on it (none in the winter) so I can't tell that the noise is getting progressively worse.

Could it be as simple as an issue w/ a CV boot? It's not a horrible grinding noise, hard to describe; more like rubber on metal. I first checked that the tire wasn't interfering w/ the shocks for example. I'll take a look at the steering hardware soon.

TIA

Chuck

Last edited:
I would guess it's coming from the axles, impossible to say without seeing it in person.

I don't know about "binding" sounds, but when I turn fully in either direction the rubber of the tire rubs the wheel well and makes some funny noises. Are you sure that's not the cause?

thx for the ideas!
something w/ the axles seem like a possibility. I haven't worked on axle parts before so I can't guess at the issue.

i'm almost positive that interference w/ the wheel well shrouding is not the cause. i changed from different wheel/tires for autox and everything i could see looked fine. and the sound remained despite slightly different offset

i'll do more diagnosis; determine if it is the same fwd/backward, and if occus w/ and w/o load the same.

it just sounds like something is not meshing well and that can't be good!

Drive in circles with the steering wheel in one direction and then the opposite direction, does the sound happen in one way and not the other?

If so then its probably your right CV joint. But you did say that it sounds like its coming from the drivers side, make sure you are certain you know where the sound is coming from.

Another thing that comes to mind is the engine mounts.

I know that when turning left and moving from a stop forces the engine to move a lot more than when turning right, my torn engine mounts make a terrible noise, but it is most pronounced when turning left.

Could be the diff or low trans fluid as well, but I would guess the axles or wheel bearings first.

Thanks again for the ideas.

I'll put this request on pause as I need to collect more baseline data. I wasn't able to re-create it this past weekend (i guess that is some good news in a way).

I'll keep vigilante and post a different request soon about an unrelated symptom that is 100% repeatable.

Back