trailer???? to much?

pchrist

Going to pull a 6x12 2980lbs trailer 1000 miles round trip is that to much?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    586.9 KB · Views: 233
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    519.4 KB · Views: 216
The manual (page 4-15) clearly states 2000 pounds maximum. And personally, I cannot see how you will stay under 223 pounds tongue weight (however that may be for the factory class hitch). You are exceeding the recommendation of the engineer's who built the vehicle by 50% (!) The manual says (next page) to load the trailer with 60% of the load - in your case that's 1788 pounds, forward of the axle. Lastly, think about your brakes. 70% stopping power on the front brakes is going to want to push the rear end upward. Great handling in your longer than average panic stop. Thanks for the post. I pull a utility trailer here and there, and it's good to grab the book and review the safety aspects of the various things we do from time to time. I have a good heavy duty 5 X 8 utility trailer with a drive on ramp. It's easy to get the load to 1500 pounds - and be over loaded. The good news is you are asking the question in advance - not after you jack-knifed off the road with an unsafe load. You stated you were going 500 miles each way. Much to my relief - that pretty well excludes Texas - thank you. We have enough swaying, wobbling, bouncing, flopping stuff already. (tongue in cheek, of course)

Last edited:
My uncle offered me his traverse. He said he has pulled his boat multiple times which is over 3500??? Thoughts. I am not going to do it with my cx9. I will leave it to light loads!

the traverse is rated for up to 5200lbs

Last edited:
Isn't the CX9 rated to 3500 lbs with the tow package?

The trailer should probably have brakes if towed with the CX9 or Traverse.

Evan, Yes, you're correct. The towing max with the tow package is 3500. However, the tongue weight does not change, and the OP did not specify he had the package, so answers have to be predicated on the lower values. As a matter of conjecture, I am not sure I would want to pull the trailer in the photos with a class II hitch - but, that's just me, not the manual.

In there interest of being complete, it's worth mentioning that if pchrist has the tow package, the manual states a capacity of 3500 lbs. The 2011 manual I'm looking at states that the tongue weight should be 10-15% of the trailer weight with or without the tow package, meaning the max tongue weight with tow package would be 525 lbs (3500 x 15%).

A Class II hitch is rated for 3,500 lbs.

As long as your trailer has its own brakes; you'll be fine. I tow a 3K travel trailer with a Mazda MPV. I've towed this with no problems for 6 years! I'm sure the 9 can handle it!

As stated above, if your CX-9 has the factory installed tow package with Class II hitch you can safely haul up to 3,500 lbs with a 350 lb tongue weight. If you don't have the package, the limit is 2,000 lbs and a 200 lb tongue weight. The tow package includes more than just the hitch. It includes a larger radiator, transmission cooler, and modifications to the ECU programming.

Can a CX-9 without the tow package haul your 3,000 lb trailer? If the weather wasn't too hot and you kept the speed under 65 mph it would probably survive this one time haul. However if something went wrong your warranty could be voided. I wouldn't make a habit of hauling that weight without the tow package and I definitely would NOT attempt it without trailer brakes. Having the engine or transmission overheat is one thing. Not being able to stop is another.

Back