To mud flap/splash guard or not? That is the question...

PR5Matt

Okay, I LOVE the MS3 and do not want to see the paint screwed up any more by WV's crazy sharp and large cinders so I am contemplating putting on the mud flaps/splash guards that many MS3 owners install. Not as a winter only thing, but on there for the duration. Now I have driven plenty of cars in the winter here, but now the stuff just seems so much worse. The factory ground effects on the Protege 5 had rough paint on the edges and I drove in winter weather (to work and back) for 2 years, but the winters were pretty mild those years. Also, I wasn't as obsessed with it as I am the MS3. Now with just under a month of this crap, my paint feels rough on the edges of the MS3's ground effects and rear bumper. Now maybe this is the way it was meant to get and it "sets" the paint (no noticeable chips yet, just like on the P5), but it is rough and I am afraid it will get noticeable. The True Red color on this car would be a nightmare to repaint every couple of years (matching).

I guess I just want opinions, I mean these guards are not that bad (they fit well and only hang down about 2") and they will help.

So, how is every one else's paint holding up that has been doing some winter driving these past couple of years (I have been in trucks and didn't worry)? I know that many northern MS3 drivers do a lot of winter driving on here. How is your guy's paint in these areas?

I only have to drive 6 miles each way to work and can take slow streets 3/4 of the way if I want, so maybe I do not have to worry, but I am.

I plan on doing mud flaps. It will keep rocks, sand, and salt off the sides of my car.

However as far as I know, nobody makes any for the MS3. I plan on modifying some mud flaps, drilling holes in them so they'll fit the existing bolt locations. I'm also going to put some 3M double-sided tape where the mud flaps contact the car.

I think it wouldnt look all that great but to each their own. If maybe you could color match them to the paint they wouldnt look to bad.

Well, they will not mount to suit me. There is nothing metal there to mount them too, so when using the hole already there to put your fasteners into the flaps are not close to being secure. They move around. I am talking about using the holes that are there to hold the ground effects and fender liners (in the rear) to the body. They are just enough to hold that stock stuff together. The flaps mount okay, but are not solid enough for me. They would be EASY to rip off, or a lot of ice build up would tear them off along with the front edge ground effects at least.

So I just wasted about $45 on flaps that I have trimmed to fit perfectly but will not hold up over time.

Sad thing is, my paint down there is already pitted to heck. I tried to put big sections of rockblocker on them when I first got the car, but it would not contour correctly and I think I got a bad batch because it was not sticky.

For now, to minimize edge damage, I put some of that door edge guard tape (clear heavy mil) on the edges (over the pits and all), and I figure I will save to paint the ends/edges this summer and put that heavy rough clear over that to save the paint in the future.

Such a nice car. It is a shame. Thanks West Virginia!

The reason there are no factory guards is because the side skirts use those mounting locations and occupy the space the guards would be in. The parts are mutually exclusive...

You could try modifying a set made for the sedan, but I bet there's a lip that is supposed to follow the body panel, not the side skirt.
Honestly, I wouldn't get too protective of the skirts. They are just plastic. To truly avoid any damage from kicked-up debris, the guards would have to drag on the ground...

I would want the guards on there so my winter tires dont kick up so much salt and splash it all along the side of my car! GRRR I HATE that! Mazda needs to make a set for the Speed.

Back