Tire Chains for 2001 Mazda MP3

rentonmp3

This may be a stupid question, but i'm hoping someone may be kind enough to answer..

Are there chains that would fit the tires on my 2001 mazda protege mp3??

The tire size is 205/45R17 84V. I'd love to be able to take my mp3 to the mountains when I snowboard.

Thanks!!

rentonmp3 said:
This may be a stupid question, but i'm hoping someone may be kind enough to answer..

Are there chains that would fit the tires on my 2001 mazda protege mp3??

The tire size is 205/45R17 84V. I'd love to be able to take my mp3 to the mountains when I snowboard.

Thanks!!

Well, it's not a stupid question, but...

Why? Check out tirechain.com or tirerack.com -- they may have your size. However, a wiser move would be to buy a couple of steel rims (15s are fine and if they cost more than 20 bucks a piece, keep walking) and buy a pair of snow tires for the front wheels.

Of course, the best move is a set of four, but two will do since by your post I'm assuming that the only snow you see is in the mountains, right?

Chains are a pain in the ass and if one comes loose it will destroy your nice little MP3 before you could pull over and stop.

Good luck and welcome to the board!

Bondo

I've got an easy solution. You take my Jeep, and, I take your MP3. You could use a nice 4x4.:)

Tylor

Thanks for the response!

BondoBob said:
Well, it's not a stupid question, but...

Why? Check out tirechain.com or tirerack.com -- they may have your size. However, a wiser move would be to buy a couple of steel rims (15s are fine and if they cost more than 20 bucks a piece, keep walking) and buy a pair of snow tires for the front wheels.

Of course, the best move is a set of four, but two will do since by your post I'm assuming that the only snow you see is in the mountains, right?

Chains are a pain in the ass and if one comes loose it will destroy your nice little MP3 before you could pull over and stop.

Good luck and welcome to the board!

Bondo

Thanks for the response! So, I should be okay just installing 2 winter tires in the front, yeah!? Most of the snow i'll be seeing is when I go to the mountain passes to snowboard.

im not sure of your location, but i know that here in california, chains are mandatory in the mountains if there is a good amount of snow. if this is true for your area, you may be better off buying a set of steelies for the front (no winter tires) and getting chains to go with it.

I'm from North Canada. We get LOTS of snow. No one runs chains unless it's on the snowblower. A good set of winter tires should do fine. Just drive appropriately.

kep0ne said:
im not sure of your location, but i know that here in california, chains are mandatory in the mountains if there is a good amount of snow. if this is true for your area, you may be better off buying a set of steelies for the front (no winter tires) and getting chains to go with it.

Should I buy just two steel wheels for the front or buy four? In any case i could either use chains or winter tires for the front wheels. I'm in the Seattle area by the way..

rentonmp3 said:
Should I buy just two steel wheels for the front or buy four? In any case i could either use chains or winter tires for the front wheels. I'm in the Seattle area by the way..

If you can afford to get four, get four. Four snows are better than two.

The Protege is a FWD, so you can technically get away with snows only in the front, however then you start getting odd mileage intervals on the tires on your MP3 wheels. You'll have two tires that see summer duty only, and two that get year round use.

I would buy four steelies with snows and keep the stock wheels for good weather.

Having said that, I never bought snow tires while I lived in Colo. and drove everywhere, snow rain or shine, on the summer stickies w/minor issues if ever.

StuttersC said:
If you can afford to get four, get four. Four snows are better than two.

The Protege is a FWD, so you can technically get away with snows only in the front, however then you start getting odd mileage intervals on the tires on your MP3 wheels. You'll have two tires that see summer duty only, and two that get year round use.

I would buy four steelies with snows and keep the stock wheels for good weather.

Having said that, I never bought snow tires while I lived in Colo. and drove everywhere, snow rain or shine, on the summer stickies w/minor issues if ever.

I agree to that. If you are going somewhere where you really need chains.. your MP3 aint the right vehicle for the job. Just rent a truck. And again, you dont need chains if you have a good set of winters on and you drive appropriately... I've broken trail in 1 1/2 feet of snow with all seasons before. Bumper was plowing the snow and everything.. Great fun!

Ya..just rent a truck....dun bother driving up the MP3 on the mountain....
worry free

Chris, when did you move to Ormond Beach? Are you working full time with Tim and the crew at GRM?

BondoBob said:
Chris, when did you move to Ormond Beach? Are you working full time with Tim and the crew at GRM?

I moved a little over a month ago, and yes, I am a full timer at GRM.

How you doin'?

Doing very well, thanks for asking. That's very cool that you went to GRM. I still have your article on Proteges.

Grassroots and ClassicMotorsports are my favorite reads...I subscribe to both. Wanted to buy into the Rolex 24 Hours party but ran short on time.

Bondo

Do you have the same email? PM me.

Last edited:
Got 'em

i'm able to get some snow tires for really cheap, but don't know if these tires would fit my 2001 MP3.

Would 205/70-14's fit my car?

Would 14's fit on my car? (I heard there could possibly be an issue with turning because of possible lack of clearance due to the caliper)

Also, what would be the effect of having slightly different size tires in the front versus the rear?

Thanks for all your help.. I'm new to all this..

Last edited:
it wont mess up your turning.. just the actualy spinning of the wheel.

I'm interested in this too.. i put 15" for winter just to be safe. I would of saved 200 or so with 14.

Back