Tire chain alternative...Alpha Trax

:
Mazda CX-9 Grand Touring 2016
It is almost time to think about tire chains or other snow traction devices. The CX-9 wheels don't offer much clearance, and alternatives to chains or cables are usually recommended. Laclede Alpha Trax might be the pick of the litter. https://lacledechain.com/alpha-trax/

tirechain.com has them for the 255/50-20 tires for $128 (still a lot) vs. O'Reilly Auto Parts at $170, size 735AT. https://tirechain.com/255-50r20-alp...edded-with-alloy-steel-studs-priced-per-pair/
255/60-18 are the same price but size 741AT.
They go on the CX-9 front wheels whether FWD or AWD.
No, I haven't used them, but I'm thinking about buying a set. My Blizzak winter tires have worked well for me, but in the past I've been on roads where chains or equivalent were required on every vehicle.

--quote--
  • Thermoplastic Polyurethane Rubber that has two traction pads per cross member
  • Can sustain extended use on dry or wet pavement
  • The traction stud alloy studs are heat treated with 15Mn3
  • 6 alloy studs on each cross member for extra traction
  • 1 Pair of rubber adjusters are included and required for use. Comes with draw string carry bag.
  • Meets SAE Class S clearance requirements
  • Designed to withstand a greater degree of mixed road conditions.
  • Meets All Chain Law Requirements
--end quote--

As always, try on any chains or alternatives in your own driveway on a warm bright day, and also practice putting them back into the package. If you need to use them, guaranteed, it'll be cold, dark, snowy, & wet when you have to use them. Pack a waterproof ground cloth, gloves, & good flashlight with the chains--you'll need them.

I used the autosocks on mine and it worked great! slipped on in seconds and stayed on. Of course I drove 15mph and took them off right after the chain section so I don't know what happens if you abuse them.

The reason I went with them is because I didn't want to use chains that can snap and damage the car. even if the autosocks gets destroyed, it wont destroy my car in the process like chains do.

I used the autosocks on mine and it worked great! slipped on in seconds and stayed on. Of course I drove 15mph and took them off right after the chain section so I don't know what happens if you abuse them.

The reason I went with them is because I didn't want to use chains that can snap and damage the car. even if the autosocks gets destroyed, it wont destroy my car in the process like chains do.
I was reading on the AutoSocks website and they said to put them on all 4 wheels for 4x4 and AWD cars, did you? Or just on the front tires? I doubt I’ll ever need to use them locally, but it’s a legal requirement to carry, so I’m leaning toward just getting a pair and leaving them in the spare tire well.

Back