Thinking of selling MP3 for '91 MR2

erikmanx

mazdaism
Contributor
:
2017 CX-5 AWD T
Last edited:
erikmanx said:
Ok guys, I am thinking of selling my MP3, for this 1991 Toyota MR2 Turbo. Car is only $7.5k, and has upgrades up the wazoo. My buddy has a red MR2 and that thing is soooo fast compared to the MP3. What do you guys think?

Here'ssome pics.

http://carpron.com/gallery/album223/PC140008
http://carpron.com/gallery/album223/PA160084
http://carpron.com/gallery/album223/PC190047
http://carpron.com/gallery/album223/TRDSTBar

DO IT! I say that only because I want to get an MP3 or MSP :D

Don't leave us!

I love that generation MR2, I was looking to get one until I decided that it would not be appropriate for going to colege on Lake Ontario :p

The MR2 looks great...but you sure u want to go from a 2001 to a 1991....as for the reliability issue....1991 should have more repairs than a 2001 no matter what car it is...

SKY said:
The MR2 looks great...but you sure u want to go from a 2001 to a 1991....as for the reliability issue....1991 should have more repairs than a 2001 no matter what car it is...

shhh I want his MP3 :D :D

i dunno..........a 10 year leap backwards? yeah they look good and they are damn quick..........but honestly........i really like the look of the mp3 better. plus its 10 years newer. i dunno dude. tough decision. cant keep both could ya? mp3 for work, mr2 for play?

I dunno, a few of my buddies have MR2's, and another has worked on them for about 8 years now. They all have told me the same things, BUILT LIKE A ROCK. The engines are solid(my buddy just blew his engine at 186,000 miles @ 15 p.s.i., the only components replaced has been an alternator, and the tranny due to the engine blow), and just overall, great cars. Check out his website www.celicatech.com, user name Luni420.

The other reason, is if I get a turbocharged car, I want it to be All wheel or Rear wheel drive, I drove my buddies MSP and even with an LSD I don't like the front wheels slipping.

BTW, here are the specs on the MR2 I want to buy:
Engine mods:

Apexi Intake
Apexi GT Spec Exhaust
Greddy Intercooler w/ custom pipe to fit under brace
Spal Fan w/ Manjit shroud
KO Racing downpipe
Summit Racing catch can
ATS throttle body inlet

Suspension mods:

Tein coilovers w/ pillowball mounts (car has been professionally corner balanced and aligned)
TRD front swaybar
TRD rear swaybar
TRD front strut tower bar
TRD rear strut tower bar
New Porterfield RS4 brake pads
New rotors
New Porterfield SS braided lines

Transmission mods:

Fidanza lightweight flywheel
Clutchmasters stage 3 clutch

Wheels/tires

17x7 Konig Tantrums with 215/40/17 Kuhmo 712s
17x8 Konig Tantrums with 245/40/17 Sumitomo HTRZIIs

Misc stuff:

GForce ECU
Spare 1991 ECU
Greddy turbo timer
Greddy profec b
TRD short shifter
HKS FCD
TVIS indicator light
TVSV indicator light
Autometer boost guage
Autometer AF guage
Toyota BGBs

Last edited:
my freinds mr2 looks just like that...... he finaly went to a mr2 meet, show sooooo many nice mr2s. well after that, he got some upgrades like apexi intake, trd s/s, and a hks bov. he wanted all the "name brands" but still. well with just stock boost, MY GOD IT WAS LOUD?!?! lol freakin hear him comin down 6 cars lengths behind, loud as crap(might be because its a hks bov but loud) well anyway hes fast as crap. he let me drive his car felt the turbo kickin in at just 2.5k i was amazed.it was also still the stock turbo non rebuilt or anything. but the problem is that you have to b carefull when it rains or snows. because the engine is in the back it tends to oversteer much more than other rwd cars. he alrdy spun out on accident durin a rainy day. (just a little to much throttle then turbo kicked in) as for reliability, the only thing is that he had to change was the spark plugs and oil, also the wires, but that was all he told me. his car had 120,000 miles i think if not il post again about it. check out the mr2 forums too. and if it helps i was thinkin about trading in my mp3 for a mr2 a while back. then i remembered how much i hate 2 seater cars, plus u have to b like 5' 6" to see over the dam thing cuz the seats are so low lol. and me being asian doesnt help that much lol

SKY said:
How much u selling the MP3 and how much u paying the MR2?
Half the question was already answered..
Mr2 $7.5k

nice... i love the MR2... but not a fan of the colour on that one. if only it was white or red.

Obviously like every other 15 year old car out there, there will be problems. There is NO lack of parts and support, and because the cars are as old as they are, and there is such a HUGE enthusiast base, there is no lack of knowledge. Ive been into MR2s for about 9 years now, Ive owned one for 4, and my best friend when I was 16 had one and he had his for about 3. Ive done alot of work on them. I know how to fix most of the minute stuff that comes up. I know their failings, shortcomings, how to fix those, or get around them. Ive researched their engines, turbos, everything to death, and Id love to pass the knowledge Ive acquired along to someone else that wants to do them. Mine and Eriks good friend David just bought a beautiful 91 with a generation 3 engine. (That green one Erikman is looking at was found by me as a potential buy for David, but he chose the gen3 motor and black car over the green one). The guy selling the green one has a tuning session with ATS racing for the gforce ecu hed let go for free with the car as well. The support in the community is great, that car is beautiful, the modslist is impeccable. The MP3 is a great car, but unless you spend a bunch of money to make it performance oriented it just isnt what he wants. And inherently its always FWD and you get to deal with all the shortcomings of a performance FWD platform. Not to mention depreciation.. what happens in 3 or 4 years after hes turboed his MP3 and it isnt worth all hes put into it? With the MR2 in 3 years, as long as he doesnt harm the car, the overall market price wont depreciate much at all. Plus its more of a drivers car (again I like the MP3, but I dont believe it to be a sports car), and if thats what hes looking for, I believe he should get an MR2. Besides he can afford to work on it a little in the name of progress if he has to. I say go for it Erikman.

Oh and guys I just wanted to note for people that may be interested in his car, we put a pretty sweet stereo system in there, and Im sure if he had an MR2 he wouldnt have much use for the sub or amps or what not, so he might throw the whole system in if he was given the right offer. The car also has like brand new tires on it and just barely had the timing belt changed. Im sure he can get some pictures of his stereo install if you guys want to see it. (it kinda sucks actually, I did it ROFL.. JK)

Last edited:
I'm looking to get about what I owe on the car, I am looking to sell for $11,000 with the stereo(I will post some pics if you guys want), I also, just like Luni mentioned, bought some brand new Kuhmo Ecsta ASX tires 2000 miles ago, just installed new timing belt last month and engine component belts, also had a new water pump installed back last October. Also if you read my other post about my weird grinding noise http://www.msprotege.com/forum/showthread.php?t=114493 , my car is at the dealership for some warranty work, and should be fixed.

Last edited:
erikmanx said:
I'm looking to get about what I owe on the car, I am looking to sell for $11,000 with the stereo(I will post some pics if you guys want), I also, just like Luni mentioned, bought some brand new Kuhmo Ecsta ASX tires 2000 miles ago, just installed new timing belt last month and engine component belts, also had a new water pump installed back last October. Also if you read my other post about my weird grinding noise http://www.msprotege.com/forum/showthread.php?t=114493 , my car is at the dealership for some warranty work, and should be fixed.

How many miles are on your MP3? I am interested but my p5 has almost 52k miles and I don't know if I'd like to go up in miles while getting an older car (though barely older I know).

Get some pics up, I'd like to see this "stereo", because I think I'd be happy with what the MP3 comes with stock. I'm currently running an Alpine V-Drive head unit powering all the stock mazdaspeed protege speakers and an Infinity Basslink in the hatch, and I'm pretty much satisfied with that.

zverg said:
How many miles are on your MP3? I am interested but my p5 has almost 52k miles and I don't know if I'd like to go up in miles while getting an older car (though barely older I know).

Get some pics up, I'd like to see this "stereo", because I think I'd be happy with what the MP3 comes with stock. I'm currently running an Alpine V-Drive head unit powering all the stock mazdaspeed protege speakers and an Infinity Basslink in the hatch, and I'm pretty much satisfied with that.

The car has 88,000 miles (66,000 when I purchased it) and the extended warranty that I purchased is still good for, I believe, 3 more years. My head unit is an Alpine CDA-9813, I have an Infinity 4 channel amp (REF7541A) powering my stock rear speakers and I replaced my fronts with some Infinity Reference 2-way components with crossovers. I also have an Alpine V-Drive mono amp (MRP-M350) powering a single 12" Infinty Kappa Green sub in an Alpine ported box. Both amps are also running off a 1 farad Monster Cable Cap.

Unfortunately, I don't have any pics of my car or stereo currently, but as soon as I get it back from the dealership I will post.

One last thing I forgot to mention, the passenger side fog light is broken (rock chip from freeway), if someone is willing to buy car, I will either knock off $200 bucks, or replace it if wanted.

Last edited:
Back