Temporary Roof Rack??

tasmith09

:
2011 CX9 Sport FWD
Hi. I just purchased a 2011 CX9 Sport FWD last week, and we already have a long road trip planned for 6 people (24 hr drive). We don't do trips with that many people very often so I don't think it would be economical to get a permanent cargo rack. We do need space for luggage for this trip though.
I have been browsing internet shopping sites and have seen what are called temporary racks that can be removed after use and soft "bag-like" cargo carriers. Do you think a set-up like this will work?
I don't know anything about cargo racks, rails, or carriers so any advice would be appreciated!

No hitch. Easy to get one?? Cost?
I'm sorry, I am very clueless when it comes to cars in general..and hubby isn't very helpful..but he does like this idea better than the roof rack..

Look around in the forum because a lot of people have bought them and posted install pictures and recommedations. From what I've read, etrailer.com is a popular place to get them and they have hidden hitch, valley, curt aftermarket hitches which is just a bolt up job. Fairly easy.

Do you have rails on your CX9? If so, the Mt. Blanc Aero crossbars go on/off in about a minute. Of course you'd also need to get a cargo box or something.

Nope. No rails. Strongly considering installing a hitch and getting a rack to hook on the back though.

I bought a hitch basket for like $50 awhile back and it works great. It's just a metal mesh basket that's about the width of the car and has about 2 feet of depth. I've loaded that sucker up with a 100 qt cooler completely packed and a couple suitcases on or plastic containers, probably pushing the 350 lb limit. The hitch will cost at least a couple hundred dollars but if you don't need to wire anything you'll save money there. I would think $300 for everything.

Back