TCM failure and ScanGuage

l-miwa

:
Mazda CX-9
Just a warning to those that have a ScanGuage installed...

Over the New Year's holiday, our CX-9 Trans Control Module (TCM) failed. I came out one (cold) morning and the AT light was on and the trans would select only reverse and forward (2nd gear). I thought maybe it was just REALLY cold, so I drove a few miles, but it wouldn't shift. I shut the car off and restarted it. Everything was back to normal, but the Check Engine light was on.

I used the ScanGuage check codes feature and found a U0101 code - UART communication error. I thought maybe it was just a glitch, so I used the ScanGuage to reset it and clear the Check Engine light. It worked fine for the rest of the day, but the next morning it did the same thing. This time I didn't clear the code, but just drove it to the dealer.

Three weeks later I got it back...

They first tried the usual diagnostic tools but found nothing. They called Mazda in Japan and got a special diagnostic tool shipped over. The Japanese techs connected to it over the internet. Still nothing. They then sent 9 engineers from Japan to look at it for two days!

Their conclusion? The TCM failed for an unknown reason, but the ScanGuage "could have been the cause." This of course is complete BS!!!

However, the bottom line is that they replaced the TCM under warranty, but told me that if I plugged my ScanGuage back in and the TCM failed again, they would refuse to cover it.

So a warning to all ScanGuage owners. If you have to take your vehicle in for service, be sure to remove the ScanGuage first. That way they will have to find the REAL cause of the problem, instead of just blaming "aftermarket modifications."

Glad to see you had it fixed. I have a scantgauge too.

Dont meant to be an ass but why did you leave it in there ! Takes like 10 seconds to unplug.

Dont meant to be an ass but why did you leave it in there ! Takes like 10 seconds to unplug.

I had it permanently mounted at the bottom of the instrument cluster. Unplugging it was easy, unmounting it took a while.

It never occurred to me that they would try to blame a transmission failure on a diagnostic tool plugged into a port made specifically for diagnostic tools! I guess I should have known better...

Back