Suspenision/Washer-mod help!

Flash5

Corners > Straight Lines
:
2002 Mazda P5
Okay guys I need a bit of help.

Today I changed out my rear strut mounts hoping it would help kill some of the noise in the rear over slow bumps/turns. I have tokico blues and an eibach prokit and have added the washers under the nut. Seems like even after going through all of it (roughly 5 hours) it didn't really help.

I have noticed something though and hopefully someone can clear it up for me. How much of the strut thread should come through the nut if you have added the washers? For me the thread is only barley getting all the way through the nut. The strut thread is basically flush with the top of the nut.

To me this seems wrong and when I try to tighten it anymore the strut shaft spins along with the nut basically making it useless. I know there is that stock washer that has a groove in it but i can only manhandle that so much before it won't help anymore. Is there some tool I can use to hold that in place?

Any help would be great. I want to get back out there tomorrow and see what I can do with it.

The power of impact did it for me with no issues. You might be able to try wrapping the strut piston with tape and cloth and clamping on some vice grips to keep it from spinning. You really don't want to scratch that, though, as I'm sure you know.

Yea power tools would make doing this about 10x easier. Its not really hard to take the suspension apart its just tedious at times.

Back