Surprise Checking Oil

Mouse doesn't really do much damage, but if you have rat's nest there, you've got a real problem. Ask me how I know.
OK, I'll bite.

I had a mouse nest in my 2004 Accord right behind the cabin air filter located in the usual place, behind the drop-down glove box. Pulled the filter, "what's all this"?

Under the category of TMI, Terminix claims mice can squeeze through openings as small as 1/4" so the possibilities are nearly endless.

House Mouse - Mouse Hole Characteristics | Terminix

Mouse doesn't really do much damage, but if you have rat's nest there, you've got a real problem. Ask me how I know.
Mice don't do much damage?

Oh really?

I believe that many people would disagree with you on this...

Can’t do as much damage as my in-laws. I wonder if mothballs will keep them outta my CX-5. Asking for a friend.
Some say that they work some say no. I've never used them myself as I can't abide the smell. If you do a search online most would say that they don't work.

What works for me is 20 mouse bait stations strategically placed around my vehicles in the garage. I remove the battery from my motorcycle during storage and replace the battery with a bait station. I've not had any nibbled wires or nests ever since I stated doing this.

Speaking of this it's time to change out the poison blocks in the bait stations and get them in position.

Sorry rodents, it's either you or my wires...

I've had some mice in my other cars, but never had any problem. I always keep some folded paper towels under hood for periodic oil check purpose. Once any rodents get in, that paper towels got chewed up, nothing else happened. I also had a unopened bag of rice in the garage, mice never touched it, I suppose they tried chew the bag but was too tough for to chew it. I set the mouse traps there, caught a few mice, so I know it's mice not rats. This was inside city limit, not sure in wild.

The best way to keep your car from any rodents? Keep a hungry cat next to your cars, that's what my friend did after family of rats nested under the hood of his MB, chewed up main wire harness, cost him a big bundle. He used have a couple of Rottweilers there, didn't do a damn thing. Rats had dog kibbles stashed under the hood.

Back