Sumitomo tires, generally speaking, opinions?

Mid_Life_Crisis

Contributor
:
2007 MS3
It's time for tires again and money is tight.
I saw some nice looking Sumitomos for a sweet price but the tires are so new that there are no reviews for them yet.
I've never owned Sumitomos before and want to know their general reputation, get impressions from people who have owned them.
I'm looking at ultra high performance all-seasons.
Thanks in advance.

Talking to ppl @ Tirerack, they said they are a good tire. I was told the HTR II (something like that...) I think it was, was comparable to the Max Performance Summer Hankooks (v12 k110 evo) I am running right now. Granted they are semi-sales people so you have to take it with a grain of salt.

I've never used them, tho. So I don't have any personal experience. I was tempted to try them, but the Hankooks were too good of a tire, for too good of a price to pass up. I have a feeling that they are a good buy for the price, but not sure how they actually compare to some higher priced tires in the real world.

I can't really help you on the all-seasons, but I've run a Sumitomo Ultra High Performance summer tire.
They were a nice tire for the money, good grip, great in the rain while the tread lasted but I got about 2/3 the wear as the Yokohamas I've had. And the Yoks weren't all that much more expensive.

Ive owned the all seasons before.. the only thing i don like about em is tread ware!! it doesnt last long at all!!
i got them cause money was tight also.. DO NOT GET EM!!!
if u want a long lastin tire, get something else!! NOT THE SUMITOMOS

Ive owned the all seasons before.. the only thing i don like about em is tread ware!! it doesnt last long at all!!
i got them cause money was tight also.. DO NOT GET EM!!!
if u want a long lastin tire, get something else!! NOT THE SUMITOMOS

What kind of mileage are we talking about here? More, less, or about the same as Falken Azenis?

I never had the Falken Azenis... but if i remember correctly i got about 10-15k miles out of the sumi's... i guess it also depends on how you drive... i did alot of drivin in the city and drove on long curvy roads on a daily basis which ment, for me, a good bit of Spirited Drivin ;)... that might have also effected the tread wear also.. but either way, they are soft tires which results in faster tread wear.. granted they were AWESOME in dry and wet weather... but u cant have it all, have to scarifice somethin...

If your going to get cheap tires, look into some kuhmos or maybe a popular tire brand that is semi cheap.

How much are we talking here though?? Like less than 100 or maybe >120

I had HTR's on my MSP and LOVED them. Great wet and dry traction; and quiet on the highway. Once the tires need replaced, those are what I'm gonna be on the lookout for unless I find a deal on some Dunlop Direzza's.

I had HTR's on my MSP and LOVED them. Great wet and dry traction; and quiet on the highway. Once the tires need replaced, those are what I'm gonna be on the lookout for unless I find a deal on some Dunlop Direzza's.

Star Specs? Sticky icky.

I have HTRs on my BMW. I have about 40k on them and they are about done. This is with my wife driving though.

I would buy them again. They wore evenly when rotated and are still quiet even though they are worn.

If you are looking for s summer only tire, look at the Sumitomo HTRZ-III not the II. the III just took first place in a ultra performance tire test on tirerack and it was put up against some damn good tires. However I haven't heard anything great their other tires, just the HTRZ-III.

I had the htrz on my 01 neon r/t which had some nice suspension mods and was pretty tight. I went through 3 sets of them and was very pleased with the handling and grip. I bought them from tire rack also. A satisfied customer was i! A summer tire only though

Back