Subs Amps RMS? So confusing! Help!?

:
Laser Blue MSP #2733_sold
Ok, so no matter how much I research to try to figure this out is doesn't click...

I have one amp I'm trying to power one one sub which I don't have a sub yet. So, what I'm coming up with is I'll need a bigger amp... I think.

I have this 600 watt Rockford Fosgate Punch 201S
2-channel car amplifier 50 watts RMS x 2

-50 watts RMS x 2 at 4 ohms -100 watts RMS x 2 at 2 ohms -200 watts RMS x 1 bridged output at 4 ohms
1_4ohmSVC_4ohm.gif

1_4ohmDVC_2ohm.gif

So what I'm thinking is it's a two channel... If I take one +pos from one side and one -neg from the other to power only one sub is only 200 watt RMS at 4 ohms... Correct? So there's no way to wire down to 2 ohms and I'm looking for a sub that's 200 watt RMS... Correct? So even though this 600 watt amp can only power one 200 watt sub, I don't know if that's going to be enough wattage for me...

Thanks for the clarification for my little tech knowledge.

That's just what the amp can put out you can go bigger on the sub the wattage doesn't have to be the exact same

the 600 w it for the dynamic range it can produce. RMS is the continuous power that it pushes to the speaker. if you want to have the maximum 200 rms, you'll have to get a single voice coil sub that has a 200RMS 4ohm, it can be -+10w, then bridge it to the amp

Can't wire it down to 2ohms? If that would do anything?

it took a while for it to click with me too. what solidified it for me, was realizing that the ohm load is a physical characteristic of the speakers connected. it isn't a option or a variable its just what it is. (some speakers have multiple Voice coils giving you options, but dont worry about that for now)

if you get a speaker (or speakers) that are 2ohms, then the amp will see 2 ohms, and put out more power (or burn up)

another analogy could be to compare it to an engine and RPMs. motors put out more power at higher RPMs, but it becomes increasingly harder on the motor.

your RF amp isnt made to be run at 2ohms (bridged) the RMS power of that amp is 100x2 (2ohms stereo) or you can "bridge" them together to make 200x1 @ 4ohms

hopefully some rambling helped it click for you

as mentioned above, your best option is to get 1 4ohm sub and bridge your amp to give it 200 watts.

Last edited:
Back