Subaru Tribeca, Mazda 6 on the chopping block, report says

coolmazda5

Contributor
:
2008 Mazda5 5MT Sport w/ Popular Package

The Subaru Tribeca SUV and Mazda6 mid-sized sedan will be discontinued as their manufacturers seek to improve the efficiency of U.S. assembly plants, a Japan newspaper says.

subaru-tribeca.jpg&maxW=340

Subaru has decided to stop r&d of a next-generation Tribeca and end production after the current version, the Nikkan Kogyo business daily reported on Tuesday.

Meanwhile, Mazda plans to stop making the Mazda6 at the Flat Rock, Mich., plant it operates as a joint venture with Ford Motor Co. Doing so may lead to Mazda pulling out all together, the newspaper said.

Spokesmen for both companies declined to comment on the report.

But both Subaru and Mazda face some painful decisions on these troubled models.

The aging Tribeca, which saw flat sales of only 910 units in the year through April, is sucking up valuable production space at Subaru's Indiana plant, where the company is aching for more capacity to build the popular Outback and Legacy.

The Nikkan Kogyo didn't say when the Tribeca would be dropped. But the model, still on its first generation, was introduced in 2005.

Meanwhile, the Mazda6 is a big reason Mazda can't turn a regional operating profit in North America--one of its most important markets.

mazda6.jpg&maxW=340

The company planned to produce 100,000 Mazda6 units annually at the Flat Rock, Mich., plant, when the redesigned sedan was launched there in mid-2008. Then the financial crisis hit.

Last year the plant built only 45,168 units.

Mazda is cagey about what options it is mulling. If it quits producing the Mazda6, it could bring in another vehicle--or Mazda could quit the plant completely. Speculation abounds in Japan that Mazda is eyeing a new, lower cost North American production base in Mexico.

Ford has previously declined comment on Mazda's plans.

Autoweek

Tribeca, we hardly knew you, and for the Mazda6, bring the JDM or Euro Spec instead, no issues there :D

isn't the 6 mazda's only mid/full-size sedan? wonder what they'd put in it's place?

isn't the 6 mazda's only mid/full-size sedan? wonder what they'd put in it's place?

I guess it will still be produced, but either Japan or Mexico (I believe they wanted to move model production there)

Now this would be nice (if it makes it to production) (naughty)

lead1mazdashinarilive.jpg

I really hope the 6 isnt gone, I live less than a mile away from the Flat Rock plant and my father works there. The only two cars they build there is the Mazda 6 and Ford Mustang. With the loss of the 6 means a loss of work for my family :(

i think mazda never should have made a dedicated 6 for the us market. should have just globalized the 6 that is sold in europe. stupid ford...

Mazda thought they could get away with the same marketing scheme as Honda did...which is selling one Accord here, and a smaller one in Europe. When you're the underdog, you have to sell the same car globally. They're really in a hard spot, because they pretty much have to sell a 6 in the U.S. that is comparable in size to the now full-size Accord, or there's no point in having a large sedan in their lineup. I think it comes down to aesthetics. The '08 just isn't the looker that the '03 was. They need to find a way to make a big car look good. Mazda just didn't get the formula right this time around.

I really hope the 6 isnt gone, I live less than a mile away from the Flat Rock plant and my father works there. The only two cars they build there is the Mazda 6 and Ford Mustang. With the loss of the 6 means a loss of work for my family :(

That would suck man, sorry

Mazda thought they could get away with the same marketing scheme as Honda did...which is selling one Accord here, and a smaller one in Europe. When you're the underdog, you have to sell the same car globally. They're really in a hard spot, because they pretty much have to sell a 6 in the U.S. that is comparable in size to the now full-size Accord, or there's no point in having a large sedan in their lineup. I think it comes down to aesthetics. The '08 just isn't the looker that the '03 was. They need to find a way to make a big car look good. Mazda just didn't get the formula right this time around.

Yes and yes, the 03 was still kicking competition butts in 2008, the 2009+ not so much unfortunately, plus the stupid economy didn't help

I have two friends with 2010 6's and they love the car, best one they've owned so far, and one used to have an accord. They think the 6 they have now is a far nicer car.

Mazda6 Not Discontinued

Yesterday, Automobile Magazine and a few other publications reported that Mazda will discontinue the Mazda6, its affordable midsize sedan. But, after calling Mazda spokespersons, several publications have confirmed that these rumors are false.

According to Car and Driver and Left Lane News, the 6 will be around for a while longer. This is consistent with what we were told during a recent conversation with Mazdas U.S. CEO Jim OSullivan, Car and Driver writes, who indicated that the present generation of 6 would be around for the next several years.

While the Mazda6 will stay on the market for now, there is no word on when the midsize sedan will retire. However, we do know that it wont undergo many changes. Car and Driver says it should get an upgrade to Mazdas new four-cylinder SKYACTIVE engine that will replace the current models 2.5-liter four-cylinder engine.

Left Lane News also contacted Mazda, who confirmed that, There is absolutely no intention to discontinue Mazda6 it remains an important part of Mazdas product lineup, according to a company spokesman.

When rumors that Mazda would end production for the 6 circulated, the automotive press wasnt surprised because it is one of Mazdas lowest selling vehicles. In a press release, Mazda notes that in April 2011, it sold 2,734 models. While that is a 7.8 percent increase from last year, sales for the 6 were still lower than the Mazda CX-7 and CX-9's, whose sales numbers were 2,873 and 2,750 vehicles, respectively. The sales of these models have jumped over 23 percent in the last year.

If you want a Mazda6 or are a faithful admire of the automakers only midsize sedan, theres no need to worry, at least for now. In fact, if you do choose to purchase one, youll get what reviewers consider a great car, as it ranks highly among affordable midsize cars for its V6 engine, comfortable interior and huge trunk.

[US News]

I have two friends with 2010 6's and they love the car, best one they've owned so far, and one used to have an accord. They think the 6 they have now is a far nicer car.

The S Grand Touring has the best looks: wheels, HIDs, and LED Tails, I actually like it

2009_mazda6_north_america_images_4.jpg

In the right color, with the right wheels, it can look pretty good. But rarely do I see one that looks like the above. In fact, I've never seen one in person with those wheels. Their 'lesser' wheel choices are lacking, IMO.

I hate to say it, but I said this would happen once they said American made and american sized...

1. American built Mazda 6 just does not have the same quality as the Japan ones did. Sorry, but it's the reason I went to another brand this time around. My MS6 was Japan built, not a rattle for 4yrs.
2. It's not that it's too big, but it lost it's appeal. It's not that sexy sharp sporty handling car the 03 was. It doesn't offer anything over the Honda except a few options. No ground effects, no decent spoiler, it just look like a plain rental car.
3. When I went to get rid of my Mazdaspeed 6 - The Mazda 6 GT was actually 90.00 /month MORE then my fully loaded Accord V6. No joke. Now one could argue that the 6 has more in it, memory seats, hids, keyless start etc, but most people just don't think that way...they see Honda vs Mazda and resale and supposed quality.

Now I know I drive an Accord which is also american built. I can tell you it's not the same Honda quality I had with my 10 other honda over the years. I had other reasons and incentives for going to the Accord....and yes I find it boring but with no Mazdaspeed 6 to buy I was stuck, and the accord was the right price at the time. But I seriously looked at the Mazda6 V6 GT. I hated the tranny, the interior was nice looking but felt cheap, the car didn't handle all that well, it seemed too big but yet my accord is bigger and drives smaller?!?!? The windsheild was too close to my face, I hate that.

It was a mistake making a US made 6 for the North American Market. I probably would have bought the Euro 6

It was also a mistake putting f@#$@#$ smiley's on everything. I would have bought the MS3...if it wasn't so happy looking, or a CX-7 as well. Mazda has made countless mistakes over the last few years, and I left because of it.

So, now they'll be built in Mexico, yeah that'll fix things !?!?!?!?WTF?

Last edited:
Back