Steelrain's CX-5 Build Thread

Steelrain

:
Mazda CX5
Hey Everyone

I'm new here to this forum, let alone new to the CX-5 platform. Just a quick background, I use to own a '12 Mz3 sTouring HB 2.5 (click for build thread) that was moderately modded and my Girlfriend owned a stock '08 Mz3 sGT sdn. I sold the '12 for personal financial reasons back in Nov. and plan on picking up a NA Miata sometime end of this month.
Just over the Memorial Day weekend we traded up the '08 Mz3 for a 2016 Soul Red AWD GT w/ Tech and i-Activsense packages. MRSP was $33,725 and we got the dealer down to $31,900 plus tax & lic. After the Purchase I had placed an order for Weather Tech Mats and the CS interior LED lights. Unfortunately I do not have any major plans for the vehicle unlike my Mz3, but I do plan on getting Side & Cross Rails, Tow Hitch and small trailer, Bumper guards and mud flaps. So far that is it at the moment. I will be updating this thread as best as I can for the life of the car.

Enjoy!

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Two days ago I got the CS LEDs in the mail, although was not able to install right away until last night. The install was somewhat easy as far as the dome & lic. plate lights. The vanity mirror and trunk lights were the most difficult. The vanity mirror, I had little to no leverage to pop the OEM light out causing the clips to open up and me having to bend it back in place. Then the trunk light I was having a hell of a time trying to pry off the cover, felt like I was about to snap it in half. But all is good, I'm happy.

attachment.php

As far as the Weather Tech mats they should be arriving sometime around Wednesday.

The sticker guy from mazda3revolution. Did you look at mods?

The sticker guy from mazda3revolution. Did you look at mods?
Ha, ya thats me. Ive seen most of the basic mods, just not sure exactly what i want to do at this point. I plan on keeping her stock height. Maybe down the road wheels and tires.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

About two weeks ago I received my black Weather Tech Mats in the mail. I also picked up from the dealer the OEM Cargo Tray and Side Rails.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

After reviewing the instructions, I decided to install the Side Rails myself. At first took me a few minutes to get the first part of the roof trim off because I didn't want to risk breaking it. Once I figured out how it came off I was able to remove the other sides with ease.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Now i didn't have a metal cuter available, so I made a small trip to HD and picked up a small cheap Jig saw with metal blades for about $50. Unfortunately I forgot to take pictures of the cutting process, was to worried about jacking the pieces up. Best to have a friend help hold the trim pieces while you cut or visa-versa, just make sure to double check your measurements and then check again before cutting. I was able to make clean cuts using the jig saw, after I installed everything I returned the jig saw.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Overall time from start to finish including the trip to HD took me about 1.5 hours (spent most of it at HD)

Looks Good! Your build is just like mine: Weathertech floor mats with the OEM cargo tray. And my rails should be coming in tomorrow.

Now i didn't have a metal cuter available, so I made a small trip to HD and picked up a small cheap Jig saw with metal blades for about $50. (snip) I was able to make clean cuts using the jig saw, after I installed everything I returned the jig saw.

attachment.php

Dishonest and expensive for other HD customers.
attachment.php

attachment.php

Overall time from start to finish including the trip to HD took me about 1.5 hours (spent most of it at HD)

Please elaborate on the matter?

Ok, I'll help you out here.

The stunt you pulled with HD I think is creepy, self centered and entitled. Those of us that honestly buy our tools are subsidizing your fraud.

Have you returned items you purchased and happily and successfully used to McDonalds or Dominos or KFC? How did that turn out? Why screw HD?

Please elaborate.

Last edited:
Ok, I'll help you out here.

The stunt you pulled with HD I think is creepy, self centered and entitled. Those of us that honestly buy our tools are subsidizing your fraud.

Have you returned items you purchased and happily and successfully used to McDonalds or Dominos or KFC? How did that turn out? Why screw HD?

Please elaborate.

Unfortunately I don't do it all the time, in fact its rare. Although I do see where your concerns is and i'm sorry you feel that way.

Unfortunately I don't do it all the time, in fact its rare. Although I do see where your concerns is and i'm sorry you feel that way.

More sorry that old-school disapproves than sorry about your actions? You know, some places rent tools legitimately.

Alright, don't think his build thread needs to be further cluttered with disapproval of his rental method...

Welcome to the CX5 party! Those TSWs you had would have looked great on the CX5.

Last edited:
Back