Sound quality difference between BT and USB?

:
2017 Mazda CX-5 GS
Is there any difference in sound quality between using my iPhone through BT or through the USB cable? I can’t tell any difference, but I thought some of you audiophiles might.

Solution
I normally use BT just for the convenience, but decided to give the USB connection a try. To my ears, in a moving vehicle, especially with snow tires, the difference was negligible. But the technology explanations make sense. I’ll keep experimenting. Thanks for all the articles.
Mp3 was released in 1993. Know what else was released on 1993? Windows 3.11.

It's time to move on. Hell, it was time to move on over 20 years ago.

Upvote 0
I think I said this earlier, but I haven’t used any MP3s. I just don’t have any. Most of this has been from Amazon lately, or from my own iTunes library that no longer has any mp3s in it. I can tell a bit of a difference with the USB connection for sure, it just doesn’t matter all that much to me. right now the car has snow tires and a top box on it, so you can imagine that it’s not finest place to listen to music. I’m actually quite happy with the factory Bose system that most of you hate - so there's that. 😁 I’m in a completely different mindset than most of you. Interesting discussion. Carry on.

Upvote 0
Mp3 was released in 1993. Know what else was released on 1993? Windows 3.11.

It's time to move on. Hell, it was time to move on over 20 years ago.
With that logic, I assume you think the Miata has been around a little too long, right? :ROFLMAO:

The answer to the OP's question has already been answered. Do they lock threads around here?

Upvote 0
With that logic, I assume you think the Miata has been around a little too long, right? :ROFLMAO:

The answer to the OP's question has already been answered. Do they lock threads around here?
I had no idea that I was starting anything. The second post answered my question. 🤦🏻

Upvote 0

The Miata has been extensively updated, with 4 different generations, with the 5th coming in less than 2 years, whereas mp3 has not. Mp3 is still the exact same old crap stuck in the early 90's. Heck, Microsoft doesn't even use .doc or .xls files anymore! Even MS has realized that as ubiquitous as doc and xls files were, they had their limitations and therefore revamped them to docx and xlsx.

Upvote 0
Side note...

We prefer NOT to lock threads unless necessary. Even if a question has been answered, there may be related questions, solutions, discussion etc.

The second post answered my question.
Thanks for using our new Question Answered feature ("Solution").(y)

A reminder for everyone, please keep threads On Topic and Civil (even when disagreeing) at all times. Another way to think about it is, our motto..."Fun, Friendly and Informative". :)

Upvote 0
The original question was:

"Is there any difference in sound quality between using my iPhone through BT or through the USB cable?"

IF all things are equal, bose/no bose, transmitting your audio via USB cable has the ability to be superior (simply more available bandwidth for the data transmission) . Hard stop. Question answered.

What -- the ability to be superior? Yes like MANY have mentioned if you are using a poor audio source (low quality MP3 at 128kbps) then you will NOT notice the difference as you have already degraded the audio where the loss over bluetooth is going to be indiscernible vs USB transmission (to the average ear).

From there it can be a full audiophile discussion about the SOURCE audio and then how it gets manipulated for playback (speakers, amps, DSP, cables, digital vs analog) - down the rabbit hole. There is a reason there is are SQ competitions in car audio.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The original question was:

"Is there any difference in sound quality between using my iPhone through BT or through the USB cable?"

IF all things are equal, bose/no bose, transmitting your audio via USB cable has the ability to be superior (simply more available bandwidth for the data transmission) . Hard stop. Question answered.
'Has the ability' is the key phrase. :)

Upvote 0
Back