Sold my 2014 CX-5

:
Former CX-5 Own
I finally sold my 2014 CX-5 Touring AWD private-party, after a little over 8 years of using the car.
My plan was to sell it in 2020, but I decided to avoid it because of Covid.

Except for some initial troubles with the hood shake and side mirror shake, it was mostly trouble free.
It had some temperature related rattles, one I did not fix.
It did have an oil leak in the transfer case, which was fixed under warranty and the water pump was also replaced.
I only used OEM Mazda oil with Moly. The engine had a tendency to consume maybe 1/2 quart of oil every 6 months.

I liked the handling and looks of the car and that it was mostly reliable. However, I disliked transmission programming for inclines, when speed is limited to 35 MPH. The car would typically keep revs too low, below 2K, with much protest from the engine and too low torque.

Buying a new car is now difficult and more expensive. I decided to wait until things cool down, as we don't need a new one now. We did cash in on the increase in used values.
I am not sure I am going to get a new Mazda. While I was seriously considering the CX-30, I was disappointed with the fuel economy, which remained stuck since I bought mine, while competitors improved. When I bought mine, it was significantly better than a CR-V or RAV4, now, not so much.
What I'll get as a replacement is very much up in the air, mostly for personal preferences.

I finally sold my 2014 CX-5 Touring AWD private-party, after a little over 8 years of using the car.
My plan was to sell it in 2020, but I decided to avoid it because of Covid.

Except for some initial troubles with the hood shake and side mirror shake, it was mostly trouble free.
It had some temperature related rattles, one I did not fix.
It did have an oil leak in the transfer case, which was fixed under warranty and the water pump was also replaced.
I only used OEM Mazda oil with Moly. The engine had a tendency to consume maybe 1/2 quart of oil every 6 months.

I liked the handling and looks of the car and that it was mostly reliable. However, I disliked transmission programming for inclines, when speed is limited to 35 MPH. The car would typically keep revs too low, below 2K, with much protest from the engine and too low torque.

Buying a new car is now difficult and more expensive. I decided to wait until things cool down, as we don't need a new one now. We did cash in on the increase in used values.
I am not sure I am going to get a new Mazda. While I was seriously considering the CX-30, I was disappointed with the fuel economy, which remained stuck since I bought mine, while competitors improved. When I bought mine, it was significantly better than a CR-V or RAV4, now, not so much.
What I'll get as a replacement is very much up in the air, mostly for personal preferences.
How many miles did you have on your 2014 CX-5 Touring AWD? Any suspension noise issues as there’re several TSBs on front suspension mainly the LCA bushing? Did you ever have the belt tensioner replaced? How about the oil control valve (leaking)?

My next new vehicle will be at least a hybrid, or a PHEV, even though I really want a traditional ICE vehicle with no turbo (and no cylinder deactivation) and an 8-speed step automatic transmission.

Sorry to see another long-time member going ⋯

Last edited:
84K when I sold it.
Some suspension noises were noticed when climbing a driveway (low creaking sound) but not really otherwise.
Belt tensioner: don't think so.
Oil control valve: not replaced, but maybe starting to go bad? No drips below the car but some little oil residue on the top left. Is that where it is located?

84K when I sold it.

Oil control valve: not replaced, but maybe starting to go bad? No drips below the car but some little oil residue on the top left. Is that where it is located?
Yes.

While I was seriously considering the CX-30, I was disappointed with the fuel economy, which remained stuck since I bought mine, while competitors improved.
If you can wait until 2022, Mazda’s new CX-7 sounds enticing. It should be using Toyota’s hybrid tech.

I’ll be in the market around 2024 or 2025 looking for a truck. My ‘19 RAV4 will be paid off and I’m hoping the new Tundra will have any kinks worked out by then.

Back