Sluggish Downshift Circumstances (2020 CX-5)

Pitter

Pitter
Contributor
:
2020 CX-5 Signature Azul Metalico
I have a 2020 Signature with which I am generally pleased as punch but I have been caught completely off guard too many times when trying to pass slow moving trucks without having engaged "Sport Mode". Typically I am following said slow moveing truck uphill with the transmission having shifted into third or so, saving gas I suppose when I see a passing opportunity and stomp on it. To my horror nothing happens! And it takes the transmission far too many seconds to downshift putting me in the position do I keep it to the floor or brake hard and pull back in behind the truck??? As a result I am trying to learn to switch into "sport" mode keeping it "on cam" when I anticipate the need to pass slow moving vehicles on my mountain drive up to my home. Some scary moments for sure with car in "drive"!

Are you depressing the long pedal all the way down? There is a switch under the pedal near the floorboards which will immediately give a downshift - if safe of course. If you need to pass, don’t go half way!

You either floor it like CarpeDiem suggested, or you take your CX-5 for a workout sometimes (once is a while)... spirited driving, that is.
The transmission learns your driving style.

Are you depressing the long pedal all the way down? There is a switch under the pedal near the floorboards which will immediately give a downshift - if safe of course. If you need to pass, don’t go half way!
There is a slight detent, but there is no switch there; no wiring for a switch, and I've monitored both outputs of the accelerator pedal; no material change when pushing past the detent.

When I want to perform a quick pass and I need fast acceleration, I downshift to 4th gear for a second or two, the RPM jumps above 4k, then move to the 5th and finish the pass. I (only) drive in manual mode.

There are two ways to reset, throttle response on your Mazdas:

1. Firstly, slowly press the gas pedal to the floor. This should take around four seconds, and once the pedal hits the floor, leave it there for another three seconds or so. In the same way, if you press the accelerator pedal down, you will want to release it slowly, retaking four seconds. Repeat this process three times.

Reprogramming or resetting your sensor can sometimes solve these issues. This step can also be necessary when you install a new sensor. The easiest way to reset your throttle position sensor is to unhook the negative cable from your battery for up to five minutes or to remove the fuse for your engine control module

My 2015 Mazda 6 does not have a sport mode. It has 300,000KM on it.
I can't think of a single circumstance where I got a hesitation to downshift, ever. Typically, I am a very conservative driver. In doing such, I pay close attention to the way the vehicle wishes to be driven. It's a very conservative approach. I abide by it, and get good response from the transmission as such.

Two things:
1. Question whether it is absolutely critical or not to be passing. More often than not, its better to take the patient, defensive approach. You'll be far more likely to find a suitable, safer opening for passing if you wait.

2. If you do absolutely need to pass, you can't rely on having the vehicle in sport mode at whatever given moment. Learn the shift points, and understand how much throttle position would be required to get the downshift you wish. In my case, It's very easy with this car, and I get some of the fastest downshifts of any auto I've ever used. Even an early model 2011 5 series which I've driven in another life would often stumble, hesitate, and sometimes not give the downshift at all when requested. I adapted my driving style, not my expectations from that transmission to achieve success and consistency.

Back