Short Shifter Install

Lots of confusing misinformation in this thread right now.

Starting from the Top, Yes there is a high probability a short shifter will reduce the lifespan of a transmission. BUT it is very dependent on how you drive the car. Synchronizers need time to work properly and mesh prior to the main drive gears engagement. By reducing the amount of time the transmission has to make this work the more likely you are to run into issues when changing gears rapidly.

Double Clutching and Heal toe down shifting are completely different from on another.

Double clutching is an old school technique to smoothly shift (up or down) from one gear to the next on older cars with non-synchronized manual transmissions that do not have fancy double and triple mesh synchronizers doing all of the work for them that we are all spoiled with today. Basically you would use the double clutch technique to ensure the transmission has enough momentum to smoothly transition from one gear to the next which is no easy task in a car with a straight cut gear especially if you are driving like a reasonably sane person.

Heel toe down shifting is the act of simultaneously braking and doing a rev matched down shift in one fluid motion without upsetting the balance of the car.

Rev matching is a generic term of matching engine speed with the gear you are down shifting into and it will also alleviate drive train shock and wear.

Thorough explanations. I've actually not seen too much misinformation here though.

And for the record rev-matching and double-clutching can easily be done without heel-toe mastery (though its not ideal). I know because I can do these things and am not great at heel-toe.

you are correct you do not need to heel toe to rev match. But Double clutching is a technique that really has no relevance to the 2 let alone any modern car.

I heel toe, and double clutch. And sometimes I mix them up, and do them at the same time. I also started clutchless shifting. So now I mix it up where ever I go. It's fun, and makes me smile all the way to work.

But I think double clutching is great in the car. Shifts a buttery smooth when you pull off a great heel toe double clutch down shift. And all the double clutch up shifts are silky. You can't argue with the feed back from the shifter. I can't do me clutch that quickly, especially between first and second. That's a tough shift for me. But even so I prefer to double clutch now.

Im excited to give this part to my gf for her birthday and install it :) I think mine is the updated one with the hole in it and bolt.

I just got back from a quick drive with the new shift plate installed. When I played with it with the car parked it didn't feel like that much of a change, but when I was driving I was shocked at how short the throw was every time I went to grab a gear. It's nice.

And from what I read I assumed that the shifter would feel much stiffer, but the difference is barely noticeable. I am thoroughly happy with this upgrade. Anyone who is on the fence about this should just go do it. I'm gonna go for another drive right now.

I learned to double-clutch in non-synchroed formula cars and was stuck doing it for a month afterward while driving my street car. It's fun, but pointless in a synchroed car and takes longer than a normal upshift or heel-toe down.

You California guys should try driving a car around the city when its 20 degrees below. Double clutching feels a lot better until the transmission warms up.<LOL>

I also think double clutching helps a lot downshifting to 1st while rolling -- way less crunch that way. Helps with reverse sometimes too. (but not when rolling, lol)

Last edited:
Is everybody still happy with their short shifters? Any problems after having them installed for a while? Mine is coming soon :)

Is everybody still happy with their short shifters? Any problems after having them installed for a while? Mine is coming soon :)

Had my CS for about a year and cracked a shift cable going into 5th. Dealer replaced the cable after a good amount of bitching; refused to reinstall it after this incident. I did not like how 1-2 and 5-rev felt when trying to get them into gear. There was very little feedback and it felt like the shifter was just hanging on by a prayer. I bought the DDM Works short shifter but stored the car before installing it. Now I'm planning on selling the 2 in a couple weeks when I haul it out of storage so I can't provide any feedback. That said I have both the CS plate, and the DDM short shifter and bushings I'll be offloading soon.

I have one from the 1st batch, and have never had any problems with it. One of my favorite mods on the car.

I bought the DDM shifter and love it. Perfect throw and "snicks" into gear very Miata like. I bought it and the shifter bushings at the same time.

I have the DDMworks shifter bushings and did not mind the small improvement. I then got the CS shift plate for a present and it was tough to get into gears. It was super short throws but was unnerving trying to make sure it was in correctly. It would probably be better if i took out the bushes and put the short shifter on its own, but cannot be bothered really

Yup, they are completely different. CS shift plate relocates the shift cable on the transmission, a 5 min job. DDM works replaces the shift lever on the interior. Might as well do the bushings at the same time if you're going that route. I really don't think you can go wrong with either one. The CS piece provides shorter throws with more effort compared to the DDM shifter.

I like the DDM shifter because aside from reduced throws, it feels completely stock. It's a nice way to tighten up shifts without sacrificing anything.

Back