Shopping for a used Mazda5, advice please

Sumit

:
Mazda2
Hey there,
I'm moving from a Mazda 2, to hopefully a Mazda 5. I'm wonder what years you guys recommend and of there's anything I should specifically be on the lookout for when looking at one. I believe 2008 switch to the 5 SPD automatic, does anyone recommend going for an earlier 4 speed model or vice versa. Any guidance and advice is appreciated, thanks in advance!

Like all used car, buy the newest model year with the cleanest history (ideal if verified single owner and NO history of title transfer across states) at the best price you can afford... Don't settle for Sport or Touring trim; save up/look for the GT (had Sport, current GT).

If you are hands on and not afraid to DIY (b/c old car, you WILL need to service it), 2009 GT in white or red, IMHO.

-first year with canister oil filter
-last year with fender marker lights
-last year b4 DSC nannies

Hey there,
I'm moving from a Mazda 2, to hopefully a Mazda 5. I'm wonder what years you guys recommend and of there's anything I should specifically be on the lookout for when looking at one. I believe 2008 switch to the 5 SPD automatic, does anyone recommend going for an earlier 4 speed model or vice versa. Any guidance and advice is appreciated, thanks in advance!
I wouldn't recommend going for a 4-speed model, i.e., 2007.
Personally, I'd go for 2014-2015, anything but the Sport trim.

I now have both 2008 and 2014 in touring trim, both have their own pros and cons.
If I have to start over, I will go for 2014-2015.

I love the 5 so much I have three!
2008 GT Manual 592,000km, bought brand new (cloth interior)
2009 GT Manual 126,000km, bought used about 2 years ago (leather interior)
2010 GT Automatic 213,000km, bought used about 6 years ago (cloth interior)

Only my 2010 has a canister oil filter. I think it depends on when in 2009 they were manufactured as to whether they have a spin on or canister filter or not. Either way they both are fine.

My opinion is the 2008-10 models are the best looking (sorry for those of you with the 2012 and beyond, just my opinion). I don't know about the 2.5L motor in the newer ones, but I can confidently say the 2.3's are dead reliable if maintained. My '08 doesn't burn any oil, still runs fine. Various friends of mine have also purchased 5's in the '08-'10 range and have all had solid luck with them mechanically as well.

When I say solid, I mean the powertrain is solid. Brakes, CV joints, tires, shocks, wheel bearings, belts, fluids, etc will always need changing. The more you drive, the greater the chance of replacing these items. Replacing them is still cheaper than buying a new car, especially if you just need new tires, lol!

The rear wheel openings are prone to rusting if you live where it freezes and they salt the road. Check that area out if you're buying a used one and you see paint bubbling there. If there are bubbles, it's only a matter of time before they rust through. My '08 has a lot of rust. It doesn't look good, but it is still as reliable as anything new. It just went 1200km this past weekend ... no issues at all. All three of mine average about 8.5-9L/100km ... fuel economy is the same with either transmission.

I figure these three 5's of mine should get me to 2035 when I will likely be purchasing an electric vehicle of some type.

Hey there,
I've been a happy owner of a 2015 Mazda 5 Sport since 2018. I've found it to be a very reliable vehicle with little to no issues, currently at almost 110k miles. It hauls my family of 4 around perfectly and has just enough storage for all the sports equipment we need to take with us. It's not an overly exciting or exilerating car, but it gets the job done, and for far less than other options on the market. 10/10 would buy it again, in fact sometimes I search available listings to see what the going rate is should we be in the market again. In this current time of crazy high used car prices, it's one of the few vehicles out there that can still be found at affordable levels. If I could find a decent stick shift I'd snatch it up and run it forever. Best of luck!

Only downside for me has been pretty poor snow performance, even with winter tires.

Back