Setting for 2021 Signature that makes headlights come on whilst wipers are on during the day?

I've had both the headlights and wipers on auto, but I've noticed that if it is raining during the day, the headlights do not come on.
Is there a way to tell the car to turn on the headlights when the wipers are on?
There is a law here about having to have the lights on while using the wipers.

I've had both the headlights and wipers on auto, but I've noticed that if it is raining during the day, the headlights do not come on.
I use the same settings and have not found a way to get the lights to come on automatically with the wipers.
PA has the same headlight on with wiper on law & I'd say the majority of drivers don't abide by it. I've personally never seen it enforced. I just conditioned myself to switch the headlights from auto to on when the wipers come on.

For my 2017, the owner's manual says this:
If the headlight switch and the
windshield wiper switch are in AUTO
and the wipers are operated at low or
high speed by the auto wiper control for
several seconds, bad weather conditions
are determined and the headlights may
be turned on.

Did they remove that function later models?

In practice, I've found that the car is really reluctant to turn on the lights. Emphasis on "...may be turn on." If the wipers stay in intermittent mode, the lights don't come on. If they go into low or high speed for about 10 seconds, the lights do come on, as it says in the manual. Unfortunately, as soon as the wipers slow down a bit, back to intermittent operation - even if fairly frequent intermittent - the lights turn off again.

This is in contrast to my wife's BMW, which, once it turns to the lights on due to steady operation of the wipers (and it only takes 3 swipes,) the lights stay on until the wipers go for some time without swiping at all. Intermittent operation keeps the lights on.

I really doubt that any police officer is going to pull someone over for having only DRLs while the wipers are on

For my 2017, the owner's manual says this:

Did they remove that function later models?

In practice, I've found that the car is really reluctant to turn on the lights. Emphasis on "...may be turn on." If the wipers stay in intermittent mode, the lights don't come on. If they go into low or high speed for about 10 seconds, the lights do come on, as it says in the manual. Unfortunately, as soon as the wipers slow down a bit, back to intermittent operation - even if fairly frequent intermittent - the lights turn off again.

This is in contrast to my wife's BMW, which, once it turns to the lights on due to steady operation of the wipers (and it only takes 3 swipes,) the lights stay on until the wipers go for some time without swiping at all. Intermittent operation keeps the lights on.
This is exactly what I experience in my '21 Signature. The setting only functions when the wipers are operating at low/high speed. Intermittent is treated the same as the wipers being off.

I've also had the better implementation you describe with BMW, as well as the same or similar in Audi, VW, Honda, GMC, Jeep.

I believe Mazda engineers operate in a vacuum where they never experience or test how any other manufacturer implements to see if there is a better way. That's the only logical explanation for how so many of the little shortcomings are allowed to continue in production for years.

I really doubt that any police officer is going to pull someone over for having only DRLs while the wipers are on
It's not just about getting pulled over or getting a ticket. The law has the intention of increasing safety. When headlights are on, taillights and marker lights are also on, making a vehicle a lot more visible from all angles, very useful for all in low visibility conditions. Sure, DRLs are also useful, but to a lesser degree and only from the front.

Is there a way to tell the car to turn on the headlights when the wipers are on?
There is a law here about having to have the lights on while using the wipers.
With both my wipers and lights set to auto, once the wipers start wiping at a steady rate due to the rainfall, headlights automatically come on. I have a Canadian 2020 Signature.

With both my wipers and lights set to auto, once the wipers start wiping at a steady rate due to the rainfall, headlights automatically come on. I have a Canadian 2020 Signature.
Yes, the auto headlights turn on when the auto wipers run at low/high speed, but do not work when operating on intermittent, so your steady rate description would seem to indicate low speed.

The issue is that they really should operate as long as the wipers are active at any speed. Mazda has seemed to decide that anything below low speed does not warrant headlights, while other manufacturers program their system so intermittent wiping will also activate the headlights. The many other manufacturers whom I've had experience with the same function all seem to have some variation on turning the headlights on once a wipe has been triggered a certain number of times within a given timeframe and remaining on as long as the wipers continue to operate above a given frequency.

Back