RUMOUR: New CX-9 (possibly CX-90) destined for release in 2024

sm1ke

2018 Mazda CX-9 Signature
Contributor
:
Canada
Hey Mazdas247, just saw this blurb from a user on a different forum. Based on their post history and accuracy of other info they have provided in the past, I felt that this little blurb was worthwhile to share, even if only a rumour. See below.

Capture.JPG

Apparently the next CX-9 (or the replacement CX-90) has already been designed and is slated for release in 2024, likely as a 2025 MY. Given the lifecycle of the previous generation of CX-9 (07-15), this does seem likely.

Aside from the likely change to the proposed RWD-based chassis with inline 6 engine, what would you like to see on the new CX-9/90? Personally I would love to see massaging seats, a true premium audio system option, an adjustable suspension option, better towing capability, and of course, improved safety features.

It might be hard to get 3 more years out of the current CX-9. Sales are good but not sure how much more they can add to the car.

As for a wish list:

1) 8+ speed transmission
2) better hands free driving
3) more and functional drive modes.
4) better gas mileage. Drove my son's Mazda 3 600 mies down the east coast and was surprised at the performance and mileage. No major issue keeping up with traffic and still got 40+ MPG. Would love it if the CX-9 could get a routine 30 MPG on highway.
5) Second row cooled seats.
6) better quality interior plastics. What they use now is cheap and scratchy and dents just by looking at it the wrong way.
7) slightly longer seats.

It might be hard to get 3 more years out of the current CX-9. Sales are good but not sure how much more they can add to the car.

As for a wish list:

1) 8+ speed transmission
2) better hands free driving
3) more and functional drive modes.
4) better gas mileage. Drove my son's Mazda 3 600 mies down the east coast and was surprised at the performance and mileage. No major issue keeping up with traffic and still got 40+ MPG. Would love it if the CX-9 could get a routine 30 MPG on highway.
5) Second row cooled seats.
6) better quality interior plastics. What they use now is cheap and scratchy and dents just by looking at it the wrong way.
7) slightly longer seats.

3, 5 and 6 may find their way into the CX-9 in the years leading up to the redesign. I agree though, those changes alone are not enough to carry the CX-9 for a few more years, they would need to do more. Let's see what happens!

Question for you though, would you trade in your CX-9 for a bigger CX-5 (CX-50?) with an inline 6 engine but only two rows?

From a new CX-9/CX-90? German-premium levels of luxury and performance but with Mazda styling, driving dynamics, reliability and of course the flying M badge. 😁

Great topic and thanks for the share, @sm1ke...This makes me wonder, would it be too much to offer a CX-5, CX-50, CX-9, CX-90 in addition to the CX-30 and MX-30? Do other manufacturers offer as many or more suvs/cuvs?

I ask this because it seems to me this is likely the path Mazda is taking...Or are the CX-50 and CX-90 replacements? Makes sense that the CX-9 would be the higher-end mainstream model while the CX-90 would be higher performance and more premium (same idea for the CX-5/CX-50). No?

Question for you though, would you trade in your CX-9 for a bigger CX-5 (CX-50?) with an inline 6 engine but only two rows?

I really don't know, lol. I would love to upgrade to an inline 6, and with the car being smaller/lighter than the CX-9, it would also be faster and more nimble. I have to say though, I really like the proportions of the CX-9, and the longer wheelbase means the CX-9 would probably be more comfortable to drive in general. I think I'd probably just hold out for the new CX-9/90.. I think? Who knows lol. I'd be perfectly fine with two rows. The only reason we got a three-row was because my wife insisted on it lol

I really don't know, lol. I would love to upgrade to an inline 6, and with the car being smaller/lighter than the CX-9, it would also be faster and more nimble. I have to say though, I really like the proportions of the CX-9, and the longer wheelbase means the CX-9 would probably be more comfortable to drive in general. I think I'd probably just hold out for the new CX-9/90.. I think? Who knows lol. I'd be perfectly fine with two rows. The only reason we got a three-row was because my wife insisted on it lol

Yeah, I use the CX-9 as a two row vehicle with a large back area. Easy to put in bikes and other stuff. But if the CX-50 is close with all the nice things plus some of the CX-9 Sig, I would be tempted!

Hey Mazdas247, just saw this blurb from a user on a different forum. Based on their post history and accuracy of other info they have provided in the past, I felt that this little blurb was worthwhile to share, even if only a rumour. See below.

View attachment 303211

Apparently the next CX-9 (or the replacement CX-90) has already been designed and is slated for release in 2024, likely as a 2025 MY. Given the lifecycle of the previous generation of CX-9 (07-15), this does seem likely.

Aside from the likely change to the proposed RWD-based chassis with inline 6 engine, what would you like to see on the new CX-9/90? Personally I would love to see massaging seats, a true premium audio system option, an adjustable suspension option, better towing capability, and of course, improved safety features.
If this rumor is true I have a feeling that is a missed opportunity for Mazda. Waiting another 3 years to fully refreshed/change to the new platform for the CX9 is a bad gamble. While CX9 does not sell in a lot of numbers and is still a really good car, if you compare it with the competition, it seems a little bit outdated. If you look at the numbers that Kia/Hyundai are selling on they're Telluride/Palisade, there is a big slice of bread to be taken from those.

Also the number of years in service for this model, don't think it makes any sense at all without a full refresh/replacement. Started selling in mid 2016, so that's already 5years and while the last generation lasted more than 7years I have a feeling that this is way too much for a model life span.

If they wanted to keep it until 2024, they better put a better engine in it, put the new 8-speed transmission in it, at the very least.

If this rumor is true I have a feeling that is a missed opportunity for Mazda. Waiting another 3 years to fully refreshed/change to the new platform for the CX9 is a bad gamble. While CX9 does not sell in a lot of numbers and is still a really good car, if you compare it with the competition, it seems a little bit outdated. If you look at the numbers that Kia/Hyundai are selling on they're Telluride/Palisade, there is a big slice of bread to be taken from those.

Also the number of years in service for this model, don't think it makes any sense at all without a full refresh/replacement. Started selling in mid 2016, so that's already 5years and while the last generation lasted more than 7years I have a feeling that this is way too much for a model life span.

If they wanted to keep it until 2024, they better put a better engine in it, put the new 8-speed transmission in it, at the very least.

Yes, I agree on all points. The rumoured 2024 timeline is probably a very conservative estimation, since it wouldn't make sense to stretch it out further than they did for the previous generation. Things are certainly different now, and the Koreans' new models have definitely put a squeeze on the CX-9 in particular. Before, I felt that you needed to move upmarket to get a better interior than the CX-9, but with the debut of the Telluride/Palisade, that isn't really true anymore.

And Car and driver take on the news: cx-70 to be new model, cx-90 to replace cx-9 both with the rear wheel drive architecture (with awd standard)

Here's a crazy thought (and I realize that this is how rumors get started)

Now that Mazda has a partnership with Toyota, who has a partnership with BMW, what are the chances that the new CX90's engine is based on BMW's B58 (which is used in the Supra)? :D

Here's a crazy thought (and I realize that this is how rumors get started)

Now that Mazda has a partnership with Toyota, who has a partnership with BMW, what are the chances that the new CX90's engine is based on BMW's B58 (which is used in the Supra)? :D

Mazda has been working on this for several years now, you can find patent documents out there from years ago. They describe the Skyactive-X version of this engine along with a hybrid architecture. It would not be surprising if Mazda disassembled a few BMW engines while designing their own I6, but this looks like it's a clean sheet Mazda design.

There are already rumors that Toyota will be using the Mazda large rear drive platform and inline 6 to underpin upcoming Lexus and Toyota models.

My mouth is watering thinking of the RWD based AWD I6 CX-90. Even more so that Toyota might be using some of the same underpinnings for some of their vehicles. Our two most recent vehicles have made us convert to a Mazda/Toyota family. Now if only Mazda would offer a truck.... I guess there are always the Toyota versions

I really, really, really want to see Mazda succeed in their move upmarket. I do like technology in cars and some of the crazy features - personally I think some of it is overkill. But, for Mazda to succeed they will need to really up their game with tech that’s starting to become more main stream as well as hopefully offering some unique stuff. In particular, Hyundai Genesis is really making quantum leaps from generation to generation.

I think Mazda needs to at least match much of what they offer in their vehicles. Things like remotely moving the car with the key fob and exit assist where it uses the Blindspot monitoring while you’re parked to alert you if a car is coming up next to you before you open the door. A full LED gauge cluster should be a no brainer as well wireless Apple CarPlay. I’d like to see a pano roof and second row captains chairs with cooling.

I have no doubt they will nail the styling inside and out. I hope the handling doesn’t get soft or maybe they offer adaptive suspension so you can firm it up if you want.

Interesting. I am not sure personally what is required as standard equipment in that upmarket segment, and maybe i am getting old, but i don’t really care about LED screens in car and moving vehicle with the remotes.

Ford have had automatic parallel parking for years on their cars, still won’t make me buy one.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion and wish list in vehicles options i guess I just wanted to show that other end of the spectrum.

My mouth is watering thinking of the RWD based AWD I6 CX-90. Even more so that Toyota might be using some of the same underpinnings for some of their vehicles. Our two most recent vehicles have made us convert to a Mazda/Toyota family. Now if only Mazda would offer a truck.... I guess there are always the Toyota versions
They do offer a truck and it looks amazing. Just not in the US market.

• Ventilated second row
  • AC vents for third row
  • Better instrument cluster
  • Better HUD that works with polarized glasses and can project CarPlay
  • Off road package / skid plates
  • Ambient lighting
  • Better interior space
  • Blind spots cameras

• Ventilated second row
  • AC vents for third row
  • Better instrument cluster
  • Better HUD that works with polarized glasses and can project CarPlay
  • Off road package / skid plates
  • Ambient lighting
  • Better interior space
  • Blind spots cameras

I am on board for most of those but generally dislike the blind spot cameras.

My dealer said the new CX-9 will be equal in size to a Palisade. I hope it has all the other things you mentioned. I also hope it gets better gas mileage than the 2.5T gets.

Back