Rotary Never say Never

As much as I liked the rotary engine, I just don't think it's going to happen, especially with today's emission standards.

As much as I liked the rotary engine, I just don't think it's going to happen, especially with today's emission standards.

That's what engineering is all about, doing the seemingly impossible.

I did some studying of Charles Kettering. Among many other things he invented the electric starter. He had some problems from the car guys. First it couldn't be done, then it was only for the rich and was immoral, then it was dangerous because it allowed the feeble to drive.

Kettering said

Calculations are based on theory, which, Kettering held, was merely the summary of experience, not the limit of possibility.
The only difference between a problem and a solution, he used to say, is that people understand the solution. Solutions only involve a change in perception, since the solution must have existed all along -within the problem itself. A researcher, he argued, was there not to master the problem but to make it give birth to its solution.

That's what engineering is all about, doing the seemingly impossible.

I did some studying of Charles Kettering. Among many other things he invented the electric starter. He had some problems from the car guys. First it couldn't be done, then it was only for the rich and was immoral, then it was dangerous because it allowed the feeble to drive.

Kettering said

Calculations are based on theory, which, Kettering held, was merely the summary of experience, not the limit of possibility.
The only difference between a problem and a solution, he used to say, is that people understand the solution. Solutions only involve a change in perception, since the solution must have existed all along -within the problem itself. A researcher, he argued, was there not to master the problem but to make it give birth to its solution.

There is nothing like the feel of a Rotary! I like the fact that there have been some advances OUTSIDE of Mazda in the Wankel engine.

Back