2013~2016 Replacing CX-5 Battery

:
'16.5 CX-5 AWD
Does the '16.5 CX-5 need to have a battery minder reset when the battery is replaced like a Bee Emm Vay, or Benz? I hope not. Mine is weak, because I ran it down too many times. It is also 3 months shy of 5 years old, too.

Does the '16.5 CX-5 need to have a battery minder reset when the battery is replaced like a Bee Emm Vay, or Benz? I hope not. Mine is weak, because I ran it down too many times. It is also 3 months shy of 5 years old, too.
I replaced my factory Panasonic battery on my 2016 CX-5 last October after 5.5 years of service. My experience of replacing the battery without memory minder is I lost only trip odometers and HomeLink®. And I did a reset to one-touch open / close driver power window according to owner’s manual.

I expected those things. But many cars in the last few years use the ECU to manage the charge rate of the battery. That charge rate must be reset for a new battery, or it will never get a full charge, shortening its life a little. Lacking the correct Mazda term, I called that a battery minder.

If such a task were required, I'm pretty certain the Owner's Manual would mention it. If it doesn't, then I wouldn't worry about it.

ColtX-5, some Mazda vehicles equipped with iStop and iEloop do need reprogramming to make the battery recharging work properly.

ColtX-5, some Mazda vehicles equipped with iStop and iEloop do need reprogramming to make the battery recharging work properly.
I replaced my CX5 battery with one from a major aftermarket company here in UK, it lasted 6 months. I got a refund and bought the correct battery from Mazda, which was only £10 more than the aftermarket one. I have iStop but was assured by the dealer the new battery was 'plug and play' as it were, no need to code it to the ecu etc. That was a month ago and everything is working fine and the battery monitor I fitted some time ago registers a higher standing voltage than the aftermarket one. So for my experience, buy a Mazda battery.

My battery died one day a few months ago in my driveway. I replaced it with whatever Autozone/Advanced Auto Parts had in stock and everything worked fine. Only the the power window had to be reset.

Latest posts

Back