Rattle in defrost vent (2015 CX-9)...Help

Hey Folks,

2015 CX-9 Touring - rattle started roughly a month ago, started as minimal and has gotten louder. When driving it sounds like its coming from the right door. As a passenger I've narrowed it down to the deforest vent. Nothing viable and probed with a magnet and retrieved nothing.

Dealership wants $135 for an exploratory assessment. I have the wrap coverage and they are telling me that regardless of my coverage plan, I'm on the hook for the $135.
Hoping someone has some insight on this condition and if it is correctable without dash component removal.

Thank you for any recommendations,
Gregg

Could it be a small stone? I've even had pieces of a dried out leaf make its way to the fan in older cars. Did you remove the cabin filter?

Thanks, not coming from the filter area. Not sure what if anything could have fallen in there. It's my wife's car and she is meticulous with keeping it clean. Louder than a leaf, more like a bolt.

You likely know this already but sound can really travel in a vehicle. Have you checked the cowl area under the windshield and the firewall? I once had an acorn up by my wipers and I could swear the sound it made was coming from the area near my radio.

Hey Folks,

2015 CX-9 Touring - rattle started roughly a month ago, started as minimal and has gotten louder. When driving it sounds like its coming from the right door. As a passenger I've narrowed it down to the deforest vent. Nothing viable and probed with a magnet and retrieved nothing.

Dealership wants $135 for an exploratory assessment. I have the wrap coverage and they are telling me that regardless of my coverage plan, I'm on the hook for the $135.
Hoping someone has some insight on this condition and if it is correctable without dash component removal.

Gregg
This sounds like the same issue I have with my 2020 CX9. Only my rattle comes and goes which is harder to find. Took it to the dealer several times and they could not get it to rattle. I hope I can get them to find it because I do not want to put up with this for years. It does get very annoying (sometimes very loud) when it rattles.

Hey Folks,

Gregg
Had a similar rattle in my 2019 CX-5. Turns out the passsenger side A-pillar was rubbing up against the dash. It made a noise when I drove over rough pavement or pot hole [body flex].
Fixed it by pulling down the A-pillar covers [both sides] and applied felt tape to where it was rubbing.
Now it rides as quiet as the day I drove it off the Mazda lot.

Back