Raspy / Noisy headers

prix

I've got some 4-2-1 headers on my car and they are making an awful lot of noise. If I listen from under the car while someone rev's the engine, it's very very loud right between the front wheels. There is a little mesh part of the pipe (I assume to provide some play in it) and maybe the noise is coming from that. I was wondering if some type of header wrap or sound deadening material installed on the exterior of the car would help.

The major annoyance is at freeway cruising speeds, it causes quite a bit of droning noise that gets annoying when you are trying to have a conversation...

It's not really a ricey exhaust note that's the problem, the exhaust note is fine, its the drone from the engine bay that annoys me..

What exhaust are you running. I had a HORRIBLE drone when I was running my ceramic coated Ractive 4-1 header into the stock mid pipe, then into the stock exhaust tubing with the stock resonator, then into a MAZDASPEED axle back exhaust. I put in a high flow mid pipe and the drone got worse.

IT was to the point that I couldn't even talk in the car. It was so loud that I had to yell at the person in the other seat. Kept the header, kept the midpipe. Got a Magnaflow CAT back exhaust and I no longer have a drone and its not raspy. Problem solved.

So I tried a test that someone told me for finding an exhaust leak where you lightly put your foot over the muffler tip and have someone gently rev the engine, I didn't hear anything that sounded like a major exhaust leak... maybe there is one that I didn't detect?

When you tested with your foot blocking the tail pipe - did the engine bog down? if not - the leak is pretty substantial.

It may still leak however. I would put seafoam[tm] in the intake and let the smoke help you find the leak. I did this to find the cracked welds on my Wagner header. It may just be the donut gasket between the header and the exhaust pipe.

Back