Radio Over-riding USB audio playback

Firstly, HELLO.. I'm new here so please be kind.. ;)

Ok.. So My first post.. And sadly.. I have an Issue
I recently moved from a 2021 Mazda 3 G20 Pure (The Australian base spec model, but with an amazing audio/infotainment system) to a 2021 CX5 Maxx (Again the Australian base spec model). Sadly it runs the older infotainment system which to be honest I find a little bit cronky. However other than one issue, it works fine.
So... onto my issue..

I run Android Auto connected to the USB port #1 and it seems to be working fine. I also have a 32gb Sandisk USB 3.0 drive plugged into port #2. When I start the system up it recognises that the usb is there and will even open the files and allow me scroll through the entire library and select and play music. It then plays perfectly, but only for about 30 - 50 seconds or so, then FM Tuner kicks in and over-rides the media playback. Once this happens, I am unable to select the USB drive. Although it is still shown as connected. This only happens with USB media playback. I've also tried the USB drive in port #1 and still the same thing happens.
Anybody experienced this? I have tried with a smaller Lexar USB 2.0 and the same thing happens. Any thoughts or fixes appreciated.

Pure speculation on my part, but once AA is connected it might disable the #2 USB port as a music source and assume AA will be the player. If AA isn't playing an audio source on the phone it'll go to FM as a default.

I use an AA Wireless adapter in my '20 and if I walk away from the car with the system on when the AA disconnects the cars goes to FM, then when back in range it'll reconnect and go back to AA as the music player.

I'd start the car up with no AA and see if the USB stays live, then plug in your phone and see if it disappears and goes to FM after AA connects.

Pure speculation on my part, but once AA is connected it might disable the #2 USB port as a music source and assume AA will be the player. If AA isn't playing an audio source on the phone it'll go to FM as a default.

I use an AA Wireless adapter in my '20 and if I walk away from the car with the system on when the AA disconnects the cars goes to FM, then when back in range it'll reconnect and go back to AA as the music player.

I'd start the car up with no AA and see if the USB stays live, then plug in your phone and see if it disappears and goes to FM after AA connects.
Hi. Thanks for the response. FM jumps in whether my phone is connected or not. I've tried playing media from the USB from both ports. Always the same issue. If i connect my phone AA boots up and will play from where it left off as normal. I've also tried factory resetting the infotainment system and updating the gracenote files. Still the same.
Its in for its 10000km service today. Hopefully it just needs an update. 🤞

Wild guess here.
How many files are there in your USB (music)?
I think there is a limit.
Create a USB with fewer files (says, <100) and see if this happens.

I would say that the USB drive itself is flaky. Try loading some music onto another drive and test with that

Back