Question from prospective buyer -

BruT-804

:
Non-Mazda
Hello all - long time lurker, 1st time poster.

I'm seriously considering buying a CX-5 within the next few months, I'm leaning towards a used GT AWD but will look at new ones when the time comes.

The one question I have is related to the Infotainment system - it looks like any GT newer than a '15 has the dial selector on the console to control the Infotainment system.
How hard is it to get used to using that vs. a touch-screen ? I have some concerns about that - not sure I could get used to it for something like changing the radio station.

Appreciate any thoughts or advice.
BT

It’s a quick transition. At least for me it was.

You’re talking about the dial behind the gear shifter right?

I LOVE the volume knob there as well. I almost never have to touch the screen, which is nice because there less fingerprints to clean off

It’s a quick transition. At least for me it was.

You’re talking about the dial behind the gear shifter right?

I LOVE the volume knob there as well. I almost never have to touch the screen, which is nice because there less fingerprints to clean off

Yes - the dial behind the gear shifter -
thanks for the reply
BT

You will get used to using the commander dial.

I used it for about 2 years I prefer to it the touch screen

Once you get used to it, you would never want a car without it. The volume knob is easier then volume controls on steering wheel. Also, i use a combination of controls. I use track change on steering to cycle through programmed radio stations.

Learning curve is fast, and buttons around the command knob can be felt, so switching between functions can be really fast. And the knob doesnt just rotate, but is a joystick - you will find your style and realize it is faster then any touch screen.

Once you program your favorite radio list you can then use the steering wheel buttons to control going through the list. This avoids having to use the infotainment control knob to change the radio stations. This is what I do and I find it much easier. Alphadog00 posted about the steering wheels control also.

You can't actually just use the screen as not all options or available, I have mine moded so the screen is active on the move, but still have to use the knob.

Its a shame voice commands are so poor, I don't even attempt voice commands now, just wish I had google voice that actually works for me on my phone every time.

+1 volume knob on the console. I thought it was a weird spot at first, but it's really smart. You'll like it.

+1 command dial. It's really intuitive and I much prefer it to a touch screen.

+1 voice command feature sucks.

+1000 I want android auto :( :(

Plus you can't use the touchscreen when the car is moving.

The commander knob is great, you don't really have to take your eyes off the road for more than a second to use it. Plus it becomes intuitive, you kinda know how far to turn it to get to the selection you want.

Touchscreen...what's a touchscreen LOL. Yeah, the knobs and steering wheel controls are all I use.

For the CX-5, 2016 model year was the first year for the commander knob and the MazdaConnect Infotainment system in the US. (Along with a host of other updates for 2016)

The commander knob is superior, as it can be done intuitively by feel without even taking your eyes off the road for most tasks. Whereas with the touchscreen, you must physically look at where your finger is going and what it is touching, thereby taking your eyes off the road for a longer period.

Hey OP I think it all comes down to preference. I think Mazda really nailed the infotainment knob. When you get comfortable you dont even need to look at the screen any more which is the biggest indicator of what a good control system should be. Ive seen reviews where people hate it. I never use the touch screen on my Cx5 since the knob can do the same thing but in a way more ergonomic and comfortable position. For all the flaws with the infotainment system itself, the control scheme is not one of them

Thanks for all the good info everyone. I'm glad to know its easy to get used to and even preferable to a touchscreen.
regards -
BT

What you should know about the infotainment systems itself is that it is way behind the competition such as Hundai, Honda, BMW, Audi, and even Toyota. The system desperately needs to be updated and Apple CarPlay introduced. Having said this, I still enjoy driving the car and the driving dynamics at the Mazda price pointe, were more important to me than the entertainment system. If you want all of those things in one package then go with a BMW or Audi.

One feature universally praised by every Mazda owner is that knob. When 100% of us agree on something?!?! Well... that don't happen every day brother.

I'll never own a car without a knob in that spot.

What you should know about the infotainment systems itself is that it is way behind the competition such as Hundai, Honda, BMW, Audi, and even Toyota. The system desperately needs to be updated and Apple CarPlay introduced. Having said this, I still enjoy driving the car and the driving dynamics at the Mazda price pointe, were more important to me than the entertainment system. If you want all of those things in one package then go with a BMW or Audi.

I don't want Apple CarPlay, I want the Android version.

I'll give the knob this...my touchscreen is definitely starting to show a few wear marks, no matter how much I clean it. (I don't have a commander knob)

Back