Prepaid maintenance plan

You can run an honest business, and you can run a shady business.

If someone comes in and is stupid enough not to have money to buy what they are looking at, and they decide to take a loan out for the item, there is no excuse whatsoever to take advantage of that. If the bank says they will loan money at 5%, but then you tell the customer it's 8% so you can reap the extra profits, that makes you a liar. And you KNOW damned well that stealerships do this each and every single day.
Sorry everyone for the OFF Topic banter:

So, you are saying in a blanket statement that dealerships no matter who owns them in state (*dealerships are mostly independently owned) are dishonest and are a shady institution?

I do suggest that you talk to a bank or loan institution about your interesting thoughts about how dealerships offer loans.

* most states have legislation protecting this “ancient” business model, requiring automotive manufacturers to sell through independently owned and operated physical dealerships.

For every 1 honest dealership out there, there are 2 stealer-ships out there to take you for a ride.

Granted there are some that try to get the best loan rates for you whether it be manufacturer interest rate or local bank. and there are some dealerships with salespeople which honestly show you all the good and bad points of vehicle, etc.

While others lie, high pressure tactic and try to sell you alot of highly marked up stuff. It's all pure profit.

When younger , I've had dealerships keep my driver's license hostage for half a day(they needed it before I could test drive then they said the clerk took it in the other bldg and locked it in safe before she went home while they attempted to pressure me into a car. After hours there, I had to tell them I was calling police ...at that point they supposedly got a key manager to come in and get my DL from the safe.)

another had me sign a power of attorney with no expiration or limitations ( I argued with them before signing but they said they needed it to correct any car paperwork and then I had to have an attorney involved to get it back/destroyed)

Another tried to pressure me into a lease and another tried to sell for over the sticker price then dropped price to sticker and thought I should buy it because it was a deal. I got the same car at an honest dealership for $4000 less than sticker.

And don't get me started on laser etching... one dealership all cars were laser etched and cost $3000 more.

That's what car insurance is for. Laser etch won't keep car from being stolen and car insurance will pay claim. So what does it do for me?

Yeah, no offense but you have to assume an adversarial relationship with dealers from the start because you don't know if they are honest or dishonest/high pressure.

And lastly you can't compare car dealerships to realtors. Realtors are heavily regulated and state licensed. No/few of the realtors/brokers would risk their livelihood doing underhanded things. The crappiest thing I've seen realtor do is take best view pictures of house from certain angles and it looks nothing like that when you get there. Other than that all problems need disclosed by owner, etc.

As I was in sales before, I always tried to explain why benefits of my products outweighed the negatives and while always going for the close, never employed anything like the tactics that car dealerships pull.

Last edited:
F

When younger ,

Yeah, no offense but you have to assume an adversarial relationship with dealers from the start because you don't know if they are honest or dishonest/high pressure.

And lastly you can't compare car dealerships to realtors.

As I was in sales before, I always tried to explain why benefits of my products outweighed the negatives and while always going for the close, never employed anything like the tactics that car dealerships pull.

Well honestly ... it does show that you had a negative(s) experience and yes Realtors are much like dealership... LOL
Those regulations are very much like dealerships, only in real-estate you get a salesperson that takes there time to build a relationship with you first. You have herd the word "commission" before?

As for you being in sales, I guess is was hourly rate because if it were a salary draw or any bonus or commission, or even a contest you would not have use your salesperson experience as an example of dealership sales people.

I could go on defending much more of your post and try to explain why some of those things were done during that time period but it's pointless, you have your thoughts on how you thinks things are done and nothing more I say is going to change that. You have been permanently damaged for life regarding dealerships.

For all other, we all know that that sticker on the window is for comparing and if things were a simple as that we would not need to "deal" a price. Also, I challenge anyone to pick one vehicle on any platform and follow it from the factory to the dealership lot and TRACK all the extra expense the dealerships pays before it arrives to be offered for sale! GOOD LUCK! However, should you even get 1/2 the information you may more enlightened and less hyper critical of dealerships? It may also help you in the future when negotiating a deal for a new vehicle?

Is $1500 for 36-month prepaid maintenance plan reasonable? I am worried I might have been taken advantage of..
I was told by the dealership that
1)Performing recommended service in first three years outside mazda dealership services (any in the area) could be risky for the warranty
2)Prices for service could be between $200 to $500 in the first three years. Filters for eg could cost $60. However I find now that online prices for cabin air filter are ~$30, engine air filter <$20 even if it has to be replaced six times in first three years, comes to $300 tops.
3)There is no cancellation window for this plan, and even if cancelled right after purchase, will be refunded with a $300 deduction. However mazda website states it is cancellable within 30 days for full refund. The dealer hasn't given me any legit paperwork stating terms for this plan so I am afraid if they sold me something other than the mazda approved service plan with a different set of terms and conditions

Any recommendations on what to do? Is the price reasonable or rip off?
@weepee
Were you be able to cancel this prepaid maintenance service within the 30 days?

What's wrong with paying cash? Some folks don't want to make monthly payments and if you have the means, why not?

I would have paid cash for our CX and the MX but with the incentives added for taking a loan, I saved money and paid the vehicles off the following month.

Some folks get a tax break with a loan, some don't. I don't so I don't maintain a loan.

Edit.

After thinking about this after I posted, there is at least one good reason to finance a vehicle. If the rate is very low or zero and you can make more money investing the amount you're paying for the interest on the loan.

Last edited:
Off topic, it's absolutely insane to me the # of people I see here and especially on Reddit...paying cash for $30k-$40k cars.
I think it's insane that people finance $30-40k cars that will be worth less than half of that by the time the loan is finally paid off.

Cars are a *hugely* deprecating asset. Smart people don't pay interest on something that is guaranteed to lose massive value.

Pissing away money on endless car payments is the one surefire way to insure you'll never build wealth and be debt-free.

I think the reason most people finance or lease new cars is they dont have the 30-40k cash to spare. That way they can drive new car and pay it over time even though the car price then comes to 45-50k total cost. Another reason is today most cars are traded in before the 5-6 year mark.
A lot of people want new cars with all the gadgets etc.

And your are absolutely right on depreciating part. My turbo 40k is now priced at 29k after 1year.

At the end thats a huge profit for the businesses. Add tax and fuel and it is expensive toy.

Smart people usually buy efficient and cheaper cars and spend their money on investments and once your investments bring cash you can pay with it for a more expensive car. even at finance. Another group always chase subsidies and rebates - like the EV mania lately with the government subsidy.

And lastly, past few years brainwashed lots of people too with all the "free" money and equity from housing etc. Same craziness happened with the real estate and houses.

Last edited:
I think the reason most people finance or lease new cars is they dont have the 30-40k cash to spare. That way they can drive new car and pay it over time even though the car price then comes to 45-50k total cost. Another reason is today most cars are traded in before the 5-6 year mark.
A lot of people want new cars with all the gadgets etc.

And your are absolutely right on depreciating part. My turbo 40k is now priced at 29k after 1year.

At the end thats a huge profit for the businesses. Add tax and fuel and it is expensive toy.

Smart people usually buy efficient and cheaper cars and spend their money on investments and once your investments bring cash you can pay with it for a more expensive car. even at finance. Another group always chase subsidies and rebates - like the EV mania lately with the government subsidy.

And lastly, past few years brainwashed lots of people too with all the "free" money and equity from housing etc. Same craziness happened with the real estate and houses.
The reason they don't have the cash to spare, is simply because they didn't save up the money. I know that eventually my cars will be worn out to the point they're ready for the crusher, and they will have to be replaced. That's why I save a little bit every month into an account specifically set aside for a new car.

When the time comes, I'll withdraw the money and go buy it. And no, I won't be buying a new car, it'll be a couple of years old, letting someone else take that huge financial hit of $10,000 or even more after just one year. Like you said, you've already lost $11,000. Personally, I can't afford that! That's a LOT of money! Generally I'll buy low mileage 3-6 year old cars. I've found that's right in the sweet spot where it's still practically new, but I'm not getting hit with that initial "drive it off the lot" depreciation. I bought my 2012 Mazda5 in 2018 with 36,000 miles for $9500. I bought my 2013 CX-5 in 2020 with 82,000 and a full service history down to the wiper blades for $9800. Paid cash for both of them. It's 2024 now, and I've built back up $11,000 in the bank for my next car, (which won't be for a good long while. Years probably).

Last time I made a car payment to a bank was in 1999 on my 1993 Protege that I bought 1 year old. And I don't miss them at all.

Right now I'm debt free, even my mortgage is paid off. There's *nothing* in the world like complete financial freedom. And ever since I paid my house off in November of 2021, I've been building my nest egg big time. It feels so damned good.

Am I saying that this is the only way to do it? Not at all. But this system works for me, and I went from being literally on food stamps 25 years ago (when I was still making car payments!) to being worth $1.2M today. And big picture? $1M ain't a lot of money anymore. It really isn't. It sure won't get you through retirement from age 65 to death. You need way more than that.

Right now I'm debt free, even my mortgage is paid off. There's *nothing* in the world like complete financial freedom. And ever since I paid my house off in November of 2021, I've been building my nest egg big time. It feels so damned good.
Agree 100%. Feels great.
I am also debt free. Have been for years. This allows me to live very comfortably in my retirement years. I don't buy anything that I can't pay cash for.
I use a credit card for everything (to get the rewards), but I make weekly payments to avoid interest. I never carry a balance.
The last 2 cars I bought I paid cash for.
The biggest lesson I can forward here, is that when you are negotiating the price of the car, DO NOT tell the salesman how you are going to pay for it. Negotiate a final price, then tell them you are paying cash. Let them think you are going to finance it, or that you have a trade in. Leave them in the dark until you get the price you want.
Also, don't spend any money on add ons. Say no to everything, from extended warranties, to vin etching, rustproofing, nitrogen in the tires, blah blah blah. Just. Say. No.
If the dealer tries to tell you that this stuff has already been done to the car and you have to pay for it, tell them to remove everything.

What's wrong with paying cash?
Nothing. Absolutely nothing. Y'all missed my point, sorry I was not clear.
It surprises me how many people CAN... CAN..ARE ABLE TO...pay for cars in CA$H.
My mother in law does it too...puts aside money every month, pays cash for car. I get it. I don't do it. I like having ZERO car payments... in between my car loans. And 2 out of the last 3 cars I bought were 0% interest.

Let's circle back to the topic please.

If you guys would like, I can move the offtopic posts to a new thread in the Lounge so you can continue the discussion there? Just let me know.

Back