Power/Vol on Navi systems

palooka23

Anyone notice this knob has quite a bit of play?
Works fine, but I was wondering if anyone else with this system has noticed this as well.
If indeed it is just mine, I wonder if long term this would cause an issue. Although my warranty runs to 100k, it only covers the nav until 36k. I would hate to have to replace the head unit on my dime.

Thanks in advance

Anyone notice this knob has quite a bit of play?
Works fine, but I was wondering if anyone else with this system has noticed this as well.
If indeed it is just mine, I wonder if long term this would cause an issue. Although my warranty runs to 100k, it only covers the nav until 36k. I would hate to have to replace the head unit on my dime.

Thanks in advance

I have measured 0.9 mm (~1/32) vertical and horizontal play with a digital caliper on the knob. I dont feel it excessive considering:
(i) most of the time you use the volume control on your steering wheel, so the wear over the years will be minimal on the potentiometer;
(ii) the knob needs some play along the depth when pushed to turn the unit on/off.

I would not be concerned about this issue, as long as:
- the knob runs freely (i.e. no jamming or scrubbing on the front panel) with this minimal but equal horizontal and vertical tolerances (check it in two knob positions: (a) at origin and (b) by rotating 90 to ensure the potentiometer shaft is not bent), and
- no crackling noise when adjusting volume.

Back