Potential CX 5 purchase

I really like the cx5 styling and am considering purchasing one this spring. One of the concerns I have is that of rust/corrosion. Reasearching the net and looking at cars in parking lots, it seems as if mazdas have corrosion issues. Is this still an issue for mazda or was it only for a few years or few models? I would be upset with this purchase if the 5 is rusting after a few years.

Also, only other issue i see is related to the transmissions. Maybe only on the early builds in 2012 and 2013. Has this issue been corrected?

Any input is appreciated.

Ron

2 guys I work with have 10 year old Mazdas, no rust and no complaints. They influenced my decision.

If I remember correctly back in 03 or 05 the Mazda 6 had issues with rust appearing in the door jambs and other parts near it. I believe this have been fixed for many years now.

I really like the cx5 styling and am considering purchasing one this spring. One of the concerns I have is that of rust/corrosion. Reasearching the net and looking at cars in parking lots, it seems as if mazdas have corrosion issues. Is this still an issue for mazda or was it only for a few years or few models? I would be upset with this purchase if the 5 is rusting after a few years.

Also, only other issue i see is related to the transmissions. Maybe only on the early builds in 2012 and 2013. Has this issue been corrected?

I'm not aware of any rust issues. The CX-5 is my second Mazda, several friends who have owned many over years have never mentioned any issues.

The SkyActiv automatic transmission, in my opinion, is unsafe. Mine is one of several NHSTA reports, and I won't let anyone but Mazda drive my CX-5. The technology package is riddled with gremlins that were not in the comparable options in my 2010 Mazda3, but YMMV. The AWD works great in bad weather (as good as my Subaru).

If you are doing research, in addition to these forums (which are great), I recommend:

NHTSA http://goo.gl/TwVFE
TrueCarDelta http://goo.gl/Sq3XI

Good luck with your shopping.

As for rust issues, I think Mazda has improved a lot over the last few years. In the early 2000's (until about 05 or 06) Mazda was using a faulty painting method and was using cheap/contaminated steal. Those who say they have no experience with rust issues don't live in the land of snow and salt like us Canadians. I just signed for a CX-5, and my Protege5 is just about to fall to pieces after 11 years of loyal service. I can't even jack the car anymore since the jack will go trough the bottom! Every one I know with P5's and 3's from that aera have similar issues. I'm not seeing that in newer models though (or I wouldn't have bought another Mazda).

I'm not sure how it is in the US, but it is worthy to note that mazda has increased its rust warrenty to 8 years (from 5) this year, so they are certainly more confident...

I'm not aware of any rust issues. The CX-5 is my second Mazda, several friends who have owned many over years have never mentioned any issues.

The SkyActiv automatic transmission, in my opinion, is unsafe. Mine is one of several NHSTA reports, and I won't let anyone but Mazda drive my CX-5. The technology package is riddled with gremlins that were not in the comparable options in my 2010 Mazda3, but YMMV. The AWD works great in bad weather (as good as my Subaru).

If you are doing research, in addition to these forums (which are great), I recommend:

NHTSA http://goo.gl/TwVFE
TrueCarDelta http://goo.gl/Sq3XI

Good luck with your shopping.

Thanks for your input. I see you are in Ohio. I am originally from the Youngstown area. When was your 5 built? I don;t see any current issues all are from early 2012. It is a shame they are having tranny issues. These are swetlooking crossovers. Is this the same transmissioin that is in the Mazda6? Any known problems with the cars?

Thanks

The SkyActiv automatic transmission, in my opinion, is unsafe.

Your tranny must have something wrong with it. The tranny on my AWD CX-5 is the sweetest shifting automatic ever. Almost seamless to the point I rarely think about it unless I'm in manual shift mode. I haven't noticed a single thing that could be considered a safety issue. As to reliability, only time will tell, but I have no reason to believe it's not up to the task.

The SkyActiv automatic transmission, in my opinion, is unsafe. Mine is one of several NHSTA reports, and I won't let anyone but Mazda drive my CX-5.
It sounds like you have an electronics problem, not a transmission problem. Poor grounds, poor power connections, or poor connections to sensors can all cause your problems, and happen with complicated electronic devices. Get it to happen 3-5 times and see if they won't replace it as a lemon. Unfortunately, tracking issues like you describe down are
very difficult and sometimes they get lucky and replace the right piece, and other times no. I once had an Audi that would occasionally lose power and turn on the Check Engine light. They worked on that thing for a very long time and never got it fixed. It would come back every six months to a year.

Thanks for your input. I see you are in Ohio. I am originally from the Youngstown area. When was your 5 built? I don;t see any current issues all are from early 2012. It is a shame they are having tranny issues. These are swetlooking crossovers. Is this the same transmissioin that is in the Mazda6? Any known problems with the cars?

My CX-5 was built in Japan

It sounds like you have an electronics problem, not a transmission problem. Poor grounds, poor power connections, or poor connections to sensors can all cause your problems, and happen with complicated electronic devices. Get it to happen 3-5 times and see if they won't replace it as a lemon. Unfortunately, tracking issues like you describe down are
very difficult and sometimes they get lucky and replace the right piece, and other times no. I once had an Audi that would occasionally lose power and turn on the Check Engine light. They worked on that thing for a very long time and never got it fixed. It would come back every six months to a year.

I've been going through Mazda's process since June. They made me wait 3 months for a data recorder, that caused the car to breakdown after 3 weeks (cause: bad cable). The cable on the second data recorder kept disconnecting. Mazda has has the data record back for about 5 weeks, they're still analyzing the data.

I'm sure there are plenty of CX-5s that are fine. The lemon law is very difficult to apply: the manufacturer has to acknowledge that the problem first, then the clock starts (number of days out of service or number of visits to dealer without being repaired). Mazda doesn't agree that the transmission has a problem, so the clock hasn't started. Likewise, my remote starter was in probably 4 times and each they told me it worked fine. Once they got a TSB that it was a problem, the clock starts. It's been in now 2 times and 5 days just for that, and I can't confirm yet that it's been fixed. My smart key has been malfunctioning since June, and I documented 34 malfunctions in 6 weeks, but Mazda still has not acknowledged there is a problem. The only time the car was towed was because of data recorder #1, and Mazda agrees that was the cause, but that isn't the transmission problem it was trying to diagnose.

Your tranny must have something wrong with it. The tranny on my AWD CX-5 is the sweetest shifting automatic ever. Almost seamless to the point I rarely think about it unless I'm in manual shift mode. I haven't noticed a single thing that could be considered a safety issue. As to reliability, only time will tell, but I have no reason to believe it's not up to the task.

+1. Best auto trans I've ever had in a vehicle.

It's unfortunate that you're having problems. Your story is the primary example of why I will not buy a first-year production vehicle.

You're always rolling the dice on undiscovered issues that will be resolved/corrected a year down the road.

Your issues not withstanding, it seems pretty apparent that the current crop of CX-5s are performing quite well with above average reliability.

The NHTSA link you provided clearly shows others had the same problem.
It does sound like a software bug and not a real mechanical issue, but if data recording has only started recently (and who knows when the next failure should happen), the fix may be at least 6 months away and probably longer. If really a software bug, I'd believe everyone has it just that it materializes only in some hard to scratch corner-case.

The NHTSA link you provided clearly shows others had the same problem.
It does sound like a software bug and not a real mechanical issue, but if data recording has only started recently (and who knows when the next failure should happen), the fix may be at least 6 months away and probably longer. If really a software bug, I'd believe everyone has it just that it materializes only in some hard to scratch corner-case.

This has been my point to Mazda all along: if you acknowledge there is a problem, you're working on a fix. If we are still arguing there is a problem, it's going to be a long time before it's fixed. I'm not an engineer, but everything I have read, and everyone I have spoken to (inside and outside of Mazda) gives me the sense that this a software problem. Like a lot of cars that have "sport" and "eco" mode, the CX-5 is fixed in "eco" mode, and has at least 3 race conditions by my count.

I agree with kayger12 about avoiding 1st year cars. For work, I spent more than 150 days in rental cars in 2011, more than 75 days in 2012, and several weeks already in 2013. I've driven a lot of economy/compact/midsize/full-size/small suvs over that time, and the shifting on the CX-5 is bar none the worst of any of those (or any of the cars I've owned). I would trade the SkyActiv AT for the AT in an Elantra, a Cruze, a Dart, a Corolla, a Taurus, a Focus, a Versa (that speaks volumes)...

Why did I buy it? I test drove the CX-5 Sport AWD (all they had) in February at my local dealer, would have bought that day, but the GT did not have a stock number. My sales person didn't call me back the next day with a price, and when I followed up (I had to call several times) it was gone and they were selling everything they had. The lease on my Mazda3 was up, so I factory ordered mine (it was in manufacturing when they allocated it, but port-installed my hitch and starter). My memory is that the transmission on the Sport did not shift at-all like the GT I received, and it was in service 4 days after I took delivery. I can reproduce these issues, Mazda still claims it's as designed.

Enough of the SkyActiv transmission soap box, I still have to deal with the screw in the tire from yesterday...

+1. Best auto trans I've ever had in a vehicle.

It's unfortunate that you're having problems. Your story is the primary example of why I will not buy a first-year production vehicle.

You're always rolling the dice on undiscovered issues that will be resolved/corrected a year down the road.

Your issues not withstanding, it seems pretty apparent that the current crop of CX-5s are performing quite well with above average reliability.
I agree. The combination of throttle tip in and transmission control in the CX-5 are far better than the auto in our BMW 335i - getting the thing away from a start, smoothly, at anything other than slow was not smooth. But, the CX-5 does a great job. Ours is a '14, however, and doesn't seem to have the electronic gremlins jeisensc has.

You can see our cars in the sig - both first year Skyactive engine/transmissions.

20k on the 3i and 15k on the CX-5 - Neither have missed a beat. Great vehicles!

Back