Post your aftermarket head units and audio setups

I just think it would be a little less loud on the outside, but you'd lose a lot of thump on the inside with an 8.

Just so I'm clear, the "problem" I'm describing doesn't affect the sound inside the car at all. It sounds really really good for a single 10" sub in a small box. I'm only nit-picking about the sound it makes outside the car. :)
how bad was the interior disassmbly, and how much dymat did you use, any underbody coating in the tight spots ?

I think I have some pics, I'll go look. Maybe I will make a vidja so it's clear what I'm talking about. Kinda jacked the OP's thread though, sorry about that. :)

This was before any dynamat went down.

JLSubInstall11.jpg

Any idea how much that panel goes for at the stealership.. in case you needed to replace it?

Edit: Now that Im looking at that, I wonder if it wouldnt be easier to take it to a truck shop and have them just spray that whole area with Rhino Liner... probably wouldnt be too expensive for that small of area.

You mean just take out the panel altogether? I don't know how much it is but if I do get rid of the jackstand box I'd like to replace it.

I mean since you had to cut out to make the box fit, so if you take it out, youd have to replace that entire side I would assume

Yeah it def has to be replaced, I just didn't understand what you were getting at with the bedliner idea.

thanks looks good i will have to give that a try or i might just have to remove the spare tire and put one or even two tens in their like the pics thanks a lot

Sub and Amp. JL audio 8W7 with JL audio 500.1 amp. The sound is amazing. This setup up will compete with most 12in setups. sunglasses for size comparison. It really isn't that big. If you want a smaller enclosure, just get a sealed box. It's about half the size of my box. both boxes can be found on ebay.

1251924942IMG_0266.JPG

Caska head unit i got in a group buy for about $700
IMG_0008.jpg

IMG_0009.jpg

The stealth sub looks like a waste of time. you'll get 0 sound out of that.

looks nice tho.

Last edited:
0 sound? haha no. I'm sure it doesn't slam like your ported box, but it sounds clean and goes pretty low. It can easily vibrate my rear view to where it's hard to see out of it. ;)

Yea, you had me up until you played the Mine is bigger than yours game.
Im almost 31 years old, Ive had my time with systems (4 rockford 10s with the punch 800, 2 DEI compX 10s with DEI 1100D amp).. I need a better sounding system without taking up my entire hatch, and yes.. that box takes up your entire hatch. You have to take it out of there if you want to haul anything.

Yea, you had me up until you played the Mine is bigger than yours game.
Im almost 31 years old, Ive had my time with systems (4 rockford 10s with the punch 800, 2 DEI compX 10s with DEI 1100D amp).. I need a better sounding system without taking up my entire hatch, and yes.. that box takes up your entire hatch. You have to take it out of there if you want to haul anything.

i'm 35, so i'm not sure what you're getting at.

Lets just agree that my needs dont match your needs, because we are different people.. and Im absolutely CERTAIN that I wont "get 0 sound out of that" stealth enclosure as you so eloquently put it.

I just think it would be a little less loud on the outside, but you'd lose a lot of thump on the inside with an 8.

Just so I'm clear, the "problem" I'm describing doesn't affect the sound inside the car at all. It sounds really really good for a single 10" sub in a small box. I'm only nit-picking about the sound it makes outside the car. :)

That's exactly what I suspected. Thanks for clarifying.

1251924942IMG_0266.JPG

The stealth sub looks like a waste of time. you'll get 0 sound out of that.

After listening to an 8" version in person, you're wrong. :)

I'd imagine it would depend on your needs. For example, I'd be inclined to call your sub/amp setup a waste of space since I could never fit the supplies I need in the back without risking damage.

Different strokes...

Last edited:
Ugh! I want an aftermarket HU, but I really would love it to be integrated like the ProtegeGarage DVD unit. But they've discontinued it. Are there any more units like these out there??

Here's a noname ebay one, has all the features I want though...ones like this run about 400.

hu0021.jpg

That's exactly what I suspected. Thanks for clarifying.

After listening to an 8" version in person, you're wrong. :)

I'd imagine it would depend on your needs. For example, I'd be inclined to call your sub/amp setup a waste of space since I could never fit the supplies I need in the back without risking damage.

Different strokes...

8in what?? JL audio 8W7 isn't your typical 8in sub. you cannot compare it to any other 8in sub. you are right about space, but then again i don't drive much. last year i put on about 5k miles. my car is for fun and weekends only. honestly, if you are going to do all that work for a stealth box with that much air space, i'd rather just upgrade the speaker in the cars cabin. makes more sense to me.

again to each their own....

The volume of the stealth box is perfectly reasonable for a 10" driver in a sealed enclosure. Upgrading door speakers isn't going to give you the bass of a sub.

Latest posts

Back