Mazda3 2.5T Poll: Are you going to buy a Mazda3 2.5 Turbo?

Are you going to buy a Mazda3 2.5 Turbo?

• YES!

Votes: 7 14.9%
  • No Thanks

Votes: 8 17.0%
  • Thinking about it...

Votes: 13 27.7%
  • Seriously Considering

Votes: 16 34.0%
  • Other (please post the reason in this thread)

Votes: 3 6.4%

• Total voters
A Mazda3 hatchback Turbo Premium Plus would definitely be my next car except two things bother me…

1) Mazdas have LKAS with Lane Departure Warning, but in the USA market they don't seem to include what they call "Lane Trace" (or Lane Centering). I understand the Australian market cars do include this. My present car has Lane Trace and it is one of my favorite features. You don't realize until you have it how much steering effort it is required to just drive down the highway. Lane Trace is just so relaxing.

2) Remote Start seems to be built-in to their web app. My current car has remote start as a function of the key fob – long-press a button, the car starts, the lights flash once, the windshield wipers are turned off, and the defrosters/heaters or air-conditioning is turned on. Paying who knows how much after the trial and messing around with your phone and some web app is just not worth it.

Unless the car really blows me away, for me these two omissions could be showstoppers.

I’ve got a couple of years left on the lease on my ‘19 3 hatch to make up my mind. And I was really hoping the monthly on my next car would be less than this one. But I do really like this car, and I’ve been hoping for years for a turbo option, so at the moment I’m leaning heavily toward yes. When the time comes, I think a test drive will be the final decider. My next purchase will likely be my last one, so I might just have to go out with a bang. And a zoom. Zoom.

A Mazda3 hatchback Turbo Premium Plus would definitely be my next car except two things bother me…

1) Mazdas have LKAS with Lane Departure Warning, but in the USA market they don't seem to include what they call "Lane Trace" (or Lane Centering). I understand the Australian market cars do include this. My present car has Lane Trace and it is one of my favorite features. You don't realize until you have it how much steering effort it is required to just drive down the highway. Lane Trace is just so relaxing.

2) Remote Start seems to be built-in to their web app. My current car has remote start as a function of the key fob – long-press a button, the car starts, the lights flash once, the windshield wipers are turned off, and the defrosters/heaters or air-conditioning is turned on. Paying who knows how much after the trial and messing around with your phone and some web app is just not worth it.

Unless the car really blows me away, for me these two omissions could be showstoppers.

There are aftermarket solutions for both of those issues. That said, they may not satisfy your criteria in full.

1) Comma.ai offers a product that "upgrades" the existing system and provides the Lane Trace feature. I know there is at least one user on this forum who currently has it installed, but I don't remember their username or the vehicle they're driving. I'm pretty sure they have a 2019 or 2020 model.

2) Mazda's Remote Start app is... not ideal. A lot of people have opted for an aftermarket remote start from Fortin or Compustar. I believe Fortin's remote start utilizes the OEM fob, so there's no need to carry an extra fob for the remote start like the Compustar, but the range is only as good as the OEM fob. Also, the car may not do what you're used your other car doing when you start it (wipers, defrosters/heaters and/or HVAC settings retained upon shutdown). Hopefully someone with a new 3 can chime in to confirm.

That's what my old 2001 Corvette averaged after break in. Most likely yours will improve over time.

The only thing I don't like about it are the blind spots, but with blind spot monitoring I guess it isn't much of an issue. Though, I still like to look back and see what is next to me.

I brought one home yesterday. It's an interesting car. I haven't driven spiritedly with mine yet, but I test drove one about a month ago and was able to get on it and really test it's limits. In a straight line it's not that impressive. Where it really comes alive is in the twisties. I live in western MD where we have some pretty awesome hill/mountain roads and its handling was fantastic. I was pushing it fairly hard too, there were a few corners that I didn't know all to well and had to adjust quickly, but the car responded precisely. I'm looking forward to seeing what some bolt on's and a base tune will do to help liven it up even more!

Last edited:

My Mazda has a faster steering ratio than do the latest Mazdas, so having to correct steering should not be as frequent with older versions.

I was given a loaner Lexus ES350 by the Lexus dealership and the lane-tracing/correction feature was activated. I turned it off because it was quite annoying.

Back