Parking sensors: Cheap & easy upgrade!

Rijstraket

:
Mazda2 1.3hp 5d Exective '08 Brilliant Black
Our previous car had parking sensors, and although the beeps can be rather annoying, you really get used to having that extra little help when driving around in reverse :D

I don't mind spending money, but i didn't want to pay too much for the parking sensors as you don't _really_ need them :) I ordered a cheap set from Ebay and installed them in less than two hours (with my dad, as you will need the extra pair of hands when fiddling with the cables).

The parking sensors i bought via Ebay for less than €20 including shipment (that's around $25):

It all starts with pinpointing the places where i want to drill the holes for the sensors:

The parking sensors came with a drill bit, so i didn't have to worry about makeing the holes to big (or too small ;))

After drilling the holes, you need to put in the sensors and redirect the cables to one of the light-units. A extra pair of hands can make this step a lot easier! :D

After connecting the sensors and the speaker to the main unit, you'll need to solder the power wires to the + and - from the reverse-light. In the picture below you can see that the wires are stripped and ready to be soldered together. We used a combination of heat-shrinkable tube and insulation-tape to make sure it's waterproof :)

After that you're all done!

Last edited:
Nice little upgrade, good write up...

Thx!

I must say that they work as good as the 400 ($540) parking sensors i have on my Suzuki Swift! (boom06) I didn't really take pictures for a howto, but it worked out really well actually ;)

It's really easy: Remove one of the lightunits and find the two wires that connect to the reverselight. Pull the wires from the parking sensors through the hole in the chassis so you can solder them to the reverse wires :)

Make sure everything is weatherproof by insulating al the soldered wires and put the lightunit back in place! The lightunit comes loose by unscrewing two bolts and pull the unit away from the car :)

Back