Oops - left window down

riffraff

Contributor
:
2013 CX-5 GX MT
So... last Monday someone left the window of the the 2013 CX-5 open about 4 inches overnight while it rained. There was water on the inside of the door and into the window and door controls. I mopped up as best I could, and everything still works. The car lives outside, so no way to dry it out in a heated garage. We don't want any long term damage. Will this dry/drain on it's own or will I have a nasty surprise when it freezes? Or worse :-( I don't want to find the car won't unlock one day.

So... last Monday someone left the window of the the 2013 CX-5 open about 4 inches overnight while it rained. There was water on the inside of the door and into the window and door controls. I mopped up as best I could, and everything still works. The car lives outside, so no way to dry it out in a heated garage. We don't want any long term damage. Will this dry/drain on it's own or will I have a nasty surprise when it freezes? Or worse :-( I don't want to find the car won't unlock one day.
A fan left on low speed will help dry the carpet out a lot faster.

My guess is nothing will happen to the controls. There are only wires and switches in there, no circuit boards or motors. It might take a while for any water that got in there to evaporate. What Mazdiod2 said about using a hair dryer is a good idea but don't over heat it.

Same thing happened to me. I decided to take off the panel and brought it inside to dry it out. That gave inside the door a chance to dry also. Used one of the you tube videos for removal. Everything was OK when panel put back in service. Carpet and seat took a while. Had to use towels and pressure on seat to speed things up.

OMG. If I had a dollar for everytime I left a window open or the sunroof open and water got in my car.... well I might not be rich, but I'd have some dollars. :D
It will dry and drain on its own. Absolutely nothing to worry about. Once left a back window half way open for 5 DAYS while out of town. Car's 100% fine (and yes it rained a bit more than once).
Cars are surprisingly resilient to water... now POP /SODA on the other hand. :D

Back