On the quest for more horsepower for my Mazdaspeed3

MSP507

:
MAZDA, MS3, 2007
Ok guys i recently had my car tuned , im doing some research for mt future mods for now im want to buy the Maperformance Ported Intake Manifold , and im looking into buying some additional parts .

I came across a company that makes cams and some turbo upgrades as i dont want to go with the ATP turbos .

Im planning on getting cams (any feedback would be good )
http://www.pt-performance.com/showProduct.php?vID=3&cID=4&pID=230

I also want to do a Turbo upgrade (Real feedback and opinions accepted)
I want a tru fast steet car , im not looking for a big laggy drag setup

Borg Warner s256
http://www.pt-performance.com/showProduct.php?vID=3&cID=9&pID=322

Mazdaspeed 3 and 6 SST
http://www.pt-performance.com/showProduct.php?vID=3&cID=9&pID=161

Ok so that was basically what i wanted to talk about for now on these 2 parts wich i need some help on , before someone asks i have some good mods on my car as i know that good supporting mods is what gets u going .

The car stands on access port , stock turbo , ported exhaust manifold , Cpe piping and IC , Cpe downpipe , ITV 22 spark plugs , injen intake , full 3 inch exhaust .

thanks (wrc)

First of all, PtP is in Chapter 7 bankruptcy at the moment.

How bout a 2871 Garrett? Still reasonably sized for quick spoolup + BB, great for a street car. Those turbos are tough mothers too, not delicate waifs like the KO4. I wouldn't cut corners here. I have had nothing but success with Garrett in the past.

I do think once you change the turbo, the stock internals are on borrowed time. If they fail, they'll likely go catastrophically so, you might want to build the motor before going this way.

Definitely a fuel pump needed, ASAP.

+1 ^

If you don't want to go ATP, then I wouldn't go any smaller than a BNR stage 3 which uses a 2871 hybrid with a sleeve/journal bearing CHRA instead of a Ball Bearing CHRA like the ATP units are. This will save you some $$ as they are several hundred quid less than the ATP 2871. If you go with an upgraded K04 you'll blow - too much strain on the rods down low in the RPM range and if you tune that out with your AP then there's not enough power up high with a K04 anyway. Besides - the K04 design is a smoker waiting to happen because of the small shaft width and thrust bearing design - not worth the money to rebuild or upgrade on. By looking at the list of parts in your sig putting in any variant of a K04 would be a shame as your only missing a fuel pump to support a 2871, 3071, 3076.

Last edited:
Oh yeah, and regarding PTP, if your not scared away from their bankruptcy issues then Google earth their address you'll see a pic of a suburban residential home with a MS3 parked in the driveway. Not to say that's bad but my take on this is to me that's as much a performance shop as any "performance shop" on e-bay.

ProtegeGarage also sells a reworked K04 and there's talk of CP-E coming out with a BT kit in the near future (few months maybe?).

Definitely get a fuel pump upgraded - either internals or full CP-E pump.

Since we're on the subject LOL... I have a ProtegeGarage reworked K04 that has a thermal coated hot side and an upgraded PTP wastegate actuator that I'll be selling in the near future (soon as I pull it off my car)

It was run for about 2 miles before I popped my motor from not having the proper tune on it.... PM me if interested...

next plan is fuelp pump , and im looking into a turbo i can use

i saw garret has there new version of gtx turbo out ,

if you guys want to keep the stock exhaust manifold and downpipe, you'll have to use the ATP turbos... any other BT will require lots of fabrication

Last edited:
You can't make it significantly faster, you will just add wheel spin and vent your block. People are getting big dyno numbers but planting the power is an issue, it also takes a lot of money to get big numbers. This is not the car to get 500 HP or 10 sec passes.

Back