Ok, Gas Mileage SUCKS!

When you're on the Avg MPG screen hold down the Info button for about 3 seconds. It will reset the Avg MPG. Really useful if you like seeing your average tank to tank

Im now getting about 25 mpg but in 100% rush hour driving. Damn good considering i always drive it manually and shift between 2500 and 3000 rpm.

When you're on the Avg MPG screen hold down the Info button for about 3 seconds. It will reset the Avg MPG. Really useful if you like seeing your average tank to tank

Awesome thanks, thats exactly what I used to do, tank to tank. Seeing 27.6 MPG for 1000 miles doesn't help me. hehe

Yeah thanks Gio26NJ, I still have a half of tank of gas from the dealership, but my average was showing 16.8 and had no idea how to reset it, so will go out now and do so. I was really puzzled by 16.8 MPG because I'm a 'easy off the line' kind of driver hoping to max gas mileage, and lately been doing without AC because of the low reading.

Update edit: I reset it, drove around lightly (no i don't have a lead foot) and now it reads 18.- MPG Average... maybe something is wrong here, like a sensor mentioned.

Last edited:
I'm getting about 8.4L/100km aka 28mpg. Not bad, but nowhere near what was advertised.. and this is break-in period, driving very light, rarely over 2500/2600 rpm...

I'm getting about 8.4L/100km aka 28mpg. Not bad, but nowhere near what was advertised.. and this is break-in period, driving very light, rarely over 2500/2600 rpm...

28mpg is the "combined" rating in US for the AWD version of CX-5 (assumes a mix of 55% city/45% highway driving I think). What are your your driving conditions like in Toronto?

City 8L/100km and Highway 6.4L/100km are the advertised figures.. i don't know why the combined rating would be above that. Conditions are probably comparable, 60 city/40 highway. btw this is without AC, lots of coasting, no hard acceleration.

City 8L/100km and Highway 6.4L/100km are the advertised figures.. i don't know why the combined rating would be above that. Conditions are probably comparable, 60 city/40 highway. btw this is without AC, lots of coasting, no hard acceleration.

In the US, advertised city rating is 25mpg, highway 31mpg, combined 28mpg for the AWD CX-5.

New member here and first post. I picked mine up a week ago and I'm at 245 miles and averaging 22.1 MPG. My previous car was advertised at 17MPG but was averaging 13.2MPG. I'm not a speed demon or a jack rabbit at the light, but we do have one big factor that affects our MPG here. We live on an island. If you look on Google map, we don't have any straight or level streets here except for Waikiki. Our major metro freeway has only three lanes on each side and a recent study pegged Honolulu as the worst U.S. city for traffic at 58 hours of sitting in traffic per year. I don't think any person or deity can match the manufacturer's posted city mpg in "normal" Honolulu driving conditions. If you've ever resided or visited Honolulu, I'm sure you're aware that we're not lead footed drivers here.

I'm happy with the MPG on my new ride. It will probably snow in Waikiki before I reach that posted City 26MPG.

I'm glad I saw this. I live in Honolulu too and do maybe 5-10% Highway. I thought I was going crazy getting only around 20mpg.

With the six speed manual I'm getting ~ 33mpg (American gallons) - calculated at pump and computer is dead on at 33.4 avg.

75% highway

I just got my lowest mpg on any tank so far at 29.2. I am pretty happy about this because I was pulling my utility trailer loaded with tools over the Siskiyou mountains from central Oregon, past Mt Shasta then up into the Sierra foothills to Auburn Ca. I kept the CX-5 between 55 and 65 mph and had to drop down to 4th gear a few times to maintain speed, but overall I was impressed with performance and mileage. We'll see how it goes on the return trip tomorrow.

I've had this beautiful little beast for 7 days now and at my first fill I did 9.3L/100 KM = 25mpg. I was hoping for better. Probably about 80%city 20%highway but no way to be accurate on that since I havent taken any road trips yet.

Hopefully I get closer to the 28 range being advertised. I'm a lightfoot driver too.

MPGs should impove once it fully breaks in.

Yes, cannot conclude much based on first fillup. Who knows how dealer first filled the CX (or not), how the dealer drove it (or idled it for long periods).

To see 28 combined, plan on driving a higher percentage of highway (45%+ versus 20%).

why would mileage get better over time? if anything i would think the opposite.. but i don't really know.
i considered filling up with 91 octane next time to see if that improves mileage.. should be good for a boost, almost enough to offset the price.

i considered filling up with 91 octane next time to see if that improves mileage.. should be good for a boost, almost enough to offset the price.

Breaking in a relatively green/new engine, but impact should be minor. Only engines that I can think of with measurable improvement are Porsches. Not likely to get 5% improvement of anything to offset 91 octane price.

after a little more than a month, im getting 15mpg in the city(NYC). how long does the break in usually takes?

Holy crap! I get about 25 in 90% rush hour driving. But that's Canadian rush hour so not not as bad as NY. Is that a calculated value or going by the built in monitor?

I live in NYC and I am getting 28-30 MPG with 30 City% and 70% highway. are you running full blast on A/C and stomping the pedal?

And how are you arriving at your MPG? is that what the trip computer is saying? or are you calculating based upon distance driven divided by fuel pumped in at the gas station?

after a little more than a month, im getting 15mpg in the city(NYC). how long does the break in usually takes?

I average little over 28 mpg with about 80% city driving with awd and automatic. I use the gas pedal liberally. Highway is ususally 70 mph+.

Back