Oil change at 4 months or 5k miles...True?

just received this from my dealer. Does manual state anywhere 4 months or 5k whatever occurs first? GTR

"Our records indicate it has been about 4 months since you purchased your new Mazda. This means you are likely due for your first oil change and tire rotation. As you may already know, the manufacturer recommends having your oil changed once every 4 months or 5,000 miles, whichever comes first."

just received this from my dealer. Does manual state anywhere 4 months or 5k whatever occurs first? GTR

"Our records indicate it has been about 4 months since you purchased your new Mazda. This means you are likely due for your first oil change and tire rotation. As you may already know, the manufacturer recommends having your oil changed once every 4 months or 5,000 miles, whichever comes first."

I am unsure what year or model you have, but it will be listed in the recommended maintenance schedule in your owners manual. It also varies depending on your country, and your service duty, whether it is SEVERE or Normal.

Don't believe anything the dealer tells you when it comes to items they charge you for. Your GTR has an oil change interval indicator. Also, the owners manual is quite specific regarding oil change intervals. Read up!

As you may already know, the manufacturer recommends having your oil changed once every 4 months or 5,000 miles, whichever comes first."
Total BS. They just want your money.
The 4 month thing is especially a bold claim on their part. I'd be pretty irritated if my dealer gave me that message.
I don't drive much anymore (retired), and in the two years I've had my car, I've put on a grand total of 17,000 Kms. That's just over 10,000 miles.
If I followed your dealer recommendation and changed my oil every 4 months, I'd be doing it every 1,250 miles.
Yea right.

The manual states to change the oil when the wrench light comes on or at 12 months, or 7500 mi (normal driving)

There are views/opinions from individuals who believe that brand new motors should undergo its first oil change early to remove "manufacturing leftovers" that may impact the life of the motor/drivetrain. If following Mazda's recommendations, you should either be on a 6 month/5k or 12 month/7.5k change cycle, depending on your driving conditions.

My manual says 10,000 miles! But my dealer in Canada told me 7000km, not miles. Go figure who is right. Mazda company or local dealer? Dealer can set oil change interval to whatever they or you want it to be. Did you know that, its programmable.

There are views/opinions from individuals who believe that brand new motors should undergo its first oil change early to remove "manufacturing leftovers" that may impact the life of the motor/drivetrain. If following Mazda's recommendations, you should either be on a 6 month/5k or 12 month/7.5k change cycle, depending on your driving conditions.
True, but some of us like to give it extra love. The service manager said, just do ONE more oil change a year, and thats good extra protection. I also agree. I normally, let no one near my car and do all my own maintenance. My last three cars i kept for 15 years and all ran and looked like new when i sold them. Now i am getting on a bit, so hope to swap out my car in 4 to 5 years just to enjoy the new tech safety updates. No point in buying a car to hold for 15 to 20 years now, as technology changing fast. The safety features, alone are worth it for people who are seniors. Even younger folks. Think about it, if you can avoid one serious accident, with auto brake feature, not only will it save you car insurance hike, but may save your life. The Mazda maps are awesome, and i like them better than Google maps. You get 4 alternative route options, whilst your driving, and its greate to be able to see the map views all at once for 4 routes to select from.

My manual says 10,000 miles! But my dealer in Canada told me 7000km, not miles. Go figure who is right. Mazda company or local dealer? Dealer can set oil change interval to whatever they or you want it to be. Did you know that, its programmable.

You're in Canada, so you would follow the maintenance schedule for Canada (Schedule 2). That means oil changes are to be done every 8000 km/6 months, whichever comes first. You can do them earlier if you'd like, but you'll want to stay within the 8000 km/6 month interval to maintain the warranty. Link to PDF copy of 2021.5 Owner's Manual.

As a rule, ALWAYS follow what the manual/Mazda says. If the dealer suggests a service, see what your manual says first.

You can also set your own oil change interval to whatever you want in the Infotainment menu. The Mazda Connect Manual details the procedure (page 2-6).

Interestingly enough, the new infotainment apparently has an option that allows you to check the engine oil level without popping the hood.

Capture.JPG

that would be interesting and nice addon if they finally exposed this in the infotainment.
I use the obdii on mine to check the level. My trim has a level sensor in the oil pan.

Interestingly enough, the new infotainment apparently has an option that allows you to check the engine oil level without popping the hood.

I wonder how that works, given that we need to check the oil level after shutting off the engine and waiting five minutes.

I wonder if the Infortainment system compensates for engine RPM somehow.
It seems like RPM could influence the reading.

I wonder how that works, given that we need to check the oil level after shutting off the engine and waiting five minutes.

I wonder if the Infortainment system compensates for engine RPM somehow.
It seems like RPM could influence the reading.

No idea how it works. But if it were a feature on my car, I would treat the reading as an approximation, and rely on the dipstick reading for a more accurate representation.

Maybe the reading in the infotainment somehow accounts for the varying oil level in the pan in different states of operation (at idle, moderate RPM, engine off in ACC mode, etc.).

You're in Canada, so you would follow the maintenance schedule for Canada (Schedule 2). That means oil changes are to be done every 8000 km/6 months, whichever comes first. You can do them earlier if you'd like, but you'll want to stay within the 8000 km/6 month interval to maintain the warranty. Link to PDF copy of 2021.5 Owner's Manual.

As a rule, ALWAYS follow what the manual/Mazda says. If the dealer suggests a service, see what your manual says first.

You can also set your own oil change interval to whatever you want in the Infotainment menu. The Mazda Connect Manual details the procedure (page 2-6).

View attachment 304952
Thanks for pointing it out. I will let dealer know about oil cap being wrong for turbo. I just dont understand why or how it could be swaped or incorrect. It should read 5w/30 as the manual points out.
I also got premium floor mats as part of the purchase deal, but 2 months and they still say not received. I dont know what to believed with this dealership as this is my first time in many years, going to a dealership. I normally do all my own work, but as new and warranty, have to put up with all this back and forth.
Thanks 👍😊

Thanks for pointing it out. I will let dealer know about oil cap being wrong for turbo. I just dont understand why or how it could be swaped or incorrect. It should read 5w/30 as the manual points out.
I also got premium floor mats as part of the purchase deal, but 2 months and they still say not received. I dont know what to believed with this dealership as this is my first time in many years, going to a dealership. I normally do all my own work, but as new and warranty, have to put up with all this back and forth.
Thanks 👍😊

No problem, hope you can get the oil cap and floormat situation resolved soon (y)

Back