OEM HIDs question.

projector type HID's use D2S bulbs, reflector type (like in older Acuras & Lexus') use D2R.

There is now a new mercury-free HID system called D4S/D4R, but this uses a different type of ballast I think.

So there is different housing between T and GT because mine T use H11 type for lower beam. Anyone know if I can use D2S bulbs to H11 housing?
Thanks for replies.

You would need to get a conversion kit that includes the ballasts and bulbs. MTEC has one available for an H11 housing for $250.

I suggest not going after aftermarket HID kits. It is best to use OEM components. Look for OEM ballasts and bulbs on Ebay. I just do not know if there is a coversion for the H11 base.

In my Subaru Legacy GT, I used OEM Denso ballasts with Philips D2S bulbs and H7 adaptors. I had previously used a kit HID from a vendor in this forum but I was not happy with it. The bulb burned out after 1 year.

If you're on a budget, go with a set of PIAA Xtreme White bulbs. They're not HID, but the best non-HID light you can get. I've had great experience with the PIAA bulbs on my Nissan Maxima's. Lasted years with no problems & much cheaper than HID conversion.

Back