Now with the CX-70 "revealed", what is everyone buying?

If you haven't used the Michelin PS AS 4, they're great tires. I use them for 3 seasons and Nokians for Winters.
I have Pilot SuperSports on my MX-5. Crazy good. I've had excellent luck with the Continental Extreme Contact DWS all season. Have run 5 sets on both a 2005 Acura TL and 2012 Honda Odyssey. Very similar in performance to the Pilot Sport AS, but won't last quite as long, but cost less. I should add that I bought the CrossClimate 2 for my daughters Honda HRV. We live in North Alabama where snow is a rarity but have family in Cincinnati and St. Louis where it is more common. Figured she did not need performance oriented tires.

I posted this on a BMW X5 Facebook group so goes for CX-70/90 owners. These guys do a good job testing these Michelins. Guy was suprised how good the Pilot Sport A/S was compared to the PS4 summer tire in the dry and wet. And surprised how good the CrossCilmate 2 was over across Dry, Wet and Snow though with less sportiness than the Pilots.
1711151561705.png

Last edited:
Nice find ! Leasing a used car…. I never even considered this as an option. Nothing bad with 2 year old cars, most of my rides have been 2 year olds used car. A lot of time there is even less issue with them because all the early issues come up in the first year of ownership.
Indeed, it turns out that leasing a 1-2 yr old used car can be done even through bmw financial, although their residual rates are quite bad. I leased mine from a GM dealer and I was attracted by the price so if you can "stomach" that a car might have 15-20k kms on it instead of new, than it actually becomes a good deal. Picked my car yesterday and tbh at 16k kms it looks brand new.
@dwswager, @Muggs1, @EWL5 and everyone else who's decided (or is planning to decide) on a CX-70 alternative - I hope you guys stick around on the boards, if only to check in every once in a while and update on your ownership experiences! (y)
Absolutely will stay around, still going to keep my 6 and still hoping to replace it with a Mazda sedan if they ever decide to build one

The wife wants a CX-90. I told her I'd get her a 2024 in 10 years after her 2012 Mazda5 finally dies.

My wife is driving a 2010 mazda 3 that is still going strong. The CX-70 was supposed to replace it. Now we are not so sure. Definitely won’t be keeping it around for another then years though, here with the road salt, the rust will get to it before that.

Considering the massive early depreciation on a BMW X5 leases for a used one should be pretty decent even with the overall vehicle price increases and interest rates. And the 40i is enough...400HP is enough even at 5,000lbs.

I'm kinda on Bimmerpost's X5 forum and a BMW X5 Facebook group.
Only the "24 get the "official" power bump. Mine is still 335hp, however it definitely feels like it has a bit more.
I have Pilot SuperSports on my MX-5. Crazy good. I've had excellent luck with the Continental Extreme Contact DWS all season. Have run 5 sets on both a 2005 Acura TL and 2012 Honda Odyssey. Very similar in performance to the Pilot Sport AS, but won't last quite as long, but cost less. I should add that I bought the CrossClimate 2 for my daughters Honda HRV. We live in North Alabama where snow is a rarity but have family in Cincinnati and St. Louis where it is more common. Figured she did not need performance oriented tires.

I posted this on a BMW X5 Facebook group so goes for CX-70/90 owners. These guys do a good job testing these Michelins. Guy was suprised how good the Pilot Sport A/S was compared to the PS4 summer tire in the dry and wet. And surprised how good the CrossCilmate 2 was over across Dry, Wet and Snow though with less sportiness than the Pilots.View attachment 326833
Michellin PS4 A/S is definitely an awesome tire, put them on my 6 last year (yes, its overkill) and the amount of grip it has, its astonishing. The only downside is that my fuel economy dipped by 0.5l/100km.

Looks great and congrats! Did you get the Driver's Assistance Package w/Highway Assistant?
Nope and I turn off laser cruise control and lane departure warning. I hate most of these driver aid because it just make other drivers less attentive than they already were and makes maneuvering through the moving obstacles even harder. I have 500,000 miles driving without an accident. Assume it's coming sometime. I drive for all the people around me anticipating the bone head moves they are about to make.

And laser cruise control should work where the car in front get's painted with the laser and it sets off lights and sirens warning them to take avoidance maneuvers to avoid the incoming missile.

1711565760474.png

Macan is the X3 size at 186" and to get the V6 it starts at $66K. It's a great driving vehicle...everything about the driving dynamics is better than the X3 except the motor. For $66K you are into a X3 M40i with a 382HP B58 inline 6. The BMW also has more functionality. More of a luxury kit while the Macan is more of a driving vehicle. But even a BMW SUV is a stretch. I have a friend with a Porche Cayenne that pulls his Porsche 911 turbo to the track with it. I told him it is a good thing because someone with a Porsche SUV better have a REAL Porsche.

That would be neat to see, someone pulling a 911 out of a trailer behind a Cayenne. Dreams, dreams.

Only way to improve it, make it a Singer 911!!!

If you know you know.
Those are probably the finest automobiles on the face of the planet right now.
I'd rather have a Singer than a Bugatti, and I'm not kidding.
For sure.

I don't even know if they are that fast, it's really just the presence. That era is a good one.

A lot of us lived those days staring at 300 zx's, Jaguar XJ6s, and even the affordable ones like the Mazda MX6.

Back then cars had style. (Old man yelling at clouds warning...)

For sure.

I don't even know if they are that fast, it's really just the presence. That era is a good one.

A lot of us lived those days staring at 300 zx's, Jaguar XJ6s, and even the affordable ones like the Mazda MX6.

Back then cars had style. (Old man yelling at clouds warning...)
Lots of nostalgia and I participate, but we need to separate regulatory screwing up of new cars from the actual quality of new cars. Feature bloat and weight is in large measure a regulatory issue. Auto Start/Stop is just the latest. This also has added to cost and driven cars out of the reach of lower middle class folks (how I grew up).

I had a '66 Mustang. Was a great car for the time. Would I want to drive that daily today...NO. I pined over the '90 MX-5 (broke in graduate school). I am much happier to have the 2017 I own than a NA.

I own a low-mileage 2017 CX-9 and my wife owns a low-mileage 2019 BMW 5-series sports sedan. As we are both retired, we are looking to downsize to one car in a few years. We have elected to get an SUV so we have our eyes on both the CX-90 and the CX-70. I prefer the looks of the CX-70, as the rear of the CX-90 looks awkward to my eyes. Plus, we don't need the third row. Currently, we don't use the third row of the CX-9, preferring to have more space. So, we'll wait a few years for the bugs to be worked out of the CX-70 and then probably purchase it. By the way, I used to work for Michelin and my CX-9 was recently shod with the company's Cross Climate 2 tires. Works well!

I own a low-mileage 2017 CX-9 and my wife owns a low-mileage 2019 BMW 5-series sports sedan. As we are both retired, we are looking to downsize to one car in a few years. We have elected to get an SUV so we have our eyes on both the CX-90 and the CX-70. I prefer the looks of the CX-70, as the rear of the CX-90 looks awkward to my eyes. Plus, we don't need the third row. Currently, we don't use the third row of the CX-9, preferring to have more space. So, we'll wait a few years for the bugs to be worked out of the CX-70 and then probably purchase it. By the way, I used to work for Michelin and my CX-9 was recently shod with the company's Cross Climate 2 tires. Works well!
If you don't mind me asking, why would you need something as big as the CX70? I thought you were trying to downsize! It's just about the same size as your CX-9!

If you don't mind me asking, why would you need something as big as the CX70? I thought you were trying to downsize! It's just about the same size as your CX-9!

They're wanting to downsize from two cars to one.

They're wanting to downsize from two cars to one.
I understood that as well. However, most retired folks I know don't have kids to ferry and the fact that he specifically didn't want a 3rd row means no grandkids to ferry either! Why not just stick w/the same size CX-9?!!!

I understood that as well. However, most retired folks I know don't have kids to ferry and the fact that he specifically didn't want a 3rd row means no grandkids to ferry either! Why not just stick w/the same size CX-9?!!!
A few reasons why we might go with a CX-70: newer vehicle with nicer interior, better infotainment and, importantly, the PHEV option, as we probably could do our doctor's visits, shopping and restaurant trips, etc. with the ~26-mile range. We actually like the size of the CX-9, both for its storage capacity for trips to the nursery and for its spacious second row for trips with friends. So the CX-70 is attractive. I also am a big fan of design, and I feel the CX-70 is a nicer-looking vehicle than the CX-90.

Back