No TPMS for Winter Setup?

philogynist

2020 CX-5 GTR
I am going to purchase a winter setup for our 2020 CX-5 GTR. I would like to go with 18" steelies and no TPMS.

I have done this a few times on different vehicles meaning running without TPMS.
Never had an issue on any of them except for an illuminated light in the gauge cluster.

While data mining to find the answer I've read there might be constant beeps, continuous flashing of the TPMS light, can't turn off traction control, etc.

Anyone here have a solid answer as to what I can expect by not running TPMS?

no direct experience with the CX-5 and NOT running TPMS sensors; but over all TPMS is a safety feature mandated to help fuel economy by assuring proper tire inflation (idiot light).

If you rather not see the light at all, but don't want to install the sensors on the winter wheels (damage / wear), I might suggest buying aftermarket TPMS sensors, and a project similar to this:

I run OEM rims from Gen1 CX5 in the winter with no TPMS. The only thing you will see is the warning light on the cluster. It flashes for a few seconds when you start the car then stays solid. No alarms or beeps at all. I cannot answer the traction control question as I have not tried to turn it off yet.
As for safety, just check the tire pressure every couple of weeks like we used to before TPMS was around.

Thanks for the replies. After further digging I found my answer here.

Back