Off Topic New Vehicle Time

Hey, Did you replaced the stock summer tires with CC2's. or something else? Also, what changed since you posted this about Kia quality:
... After being yanked around by multiple Kia dealers, and having an EV6 on order for 2+ months with ZERO updates (I was told I'd have the car in 1-2 months, and get a VIN# in 1 month). After seeing numerous posts about motor/axle problems. After seeing a ton of Facebook posts about body panels/trim warping and coming loose in this heat wave. I have concluded that the EV6 is exactly what one would expect from Kia. Looks good in makeup and a nice sundress, but absolutely trash around the house and will make you miserable. ...

We're actively looking at EV's now. We thought the VW ID4 would be a good replacement for the CX-5, but after reading reviews, it's now a long-shot. The Model Y is the current front runner, but I hate owning something that everyone else is driving, like with our old CRV. I drove an EV6, the model below the GT-Line and was not at all impressed. I will see if I can find a GT-Line to test drive tomorrow. The GT is below the range we need. I have to find a dealer that doesn't think they're doing me a favor selling me a car. My local dealer jacks up the price by $2k for int/ext protection and wheel locks. They said I should lease it to take advantage of the $7,500 tax credit and then buy it out in a month. That part almost makes sense, except I'd still be paying that $2k, plus ~$1k in transaction fees.

I never saw you mention Tesla in your posts, but what's your take on their vehicles? They're the current bargain EV right now. When we looked a couple years ago, the Model Y Performance was $72k. It's currently $54k and qualifies for the full tax credit. We're also going to be looking at Hyundai and Volvo, but Volvo doesn't seem to have the range we need. Our daughter has an XC40 Recharge and loves it, but she never drives it far.

I should probably add, I'm being offered $28k for our 2019 Signature we paid ~$35k for in December 2018, via Vroom. KBB trade-in value shows it should be closer to $30k. That's insane, but I'll take it!

Hey, Did you replaced the stock summer tires with CC2's. or something else? Also, what changed since you posted this about Kia quality:

We're actively looking at EV's now. We thought the VW ID4 would be a good replacement for the CX-5, but after reading reviews, it's now a long-shot. The Model Y is the current front runner, but I hate owning something that everyone else is driving, like with our old CRV. I drove an EV6, the model below the GT-Line and was not at all impressed. I will see if I can find a GT-Line to test drive tomorrow. The GT is below the range we need. I have to find a dealer that doesn't think they're doing me a favor selling me a car. My local dealer jacks up the price by $2k for int/ext protection and wheel locks. They said I should lease it to take advantage of the $7,500 tax credit and then buy it out in a month. That part almost makes sense, except I'd still be paying that $2k, plus ~$1k in transaction fees.

I never saw you mention Tesla in your posts, but what's your take on their vehicles? They're the current bargain EV right now. When we looked a couple years ago, the Model Y Performance was $72k. It's currently $54k and qualifies for the full tax credit. We're also going to be looking at Hyundai and Volvo, but Volvo doesn't seem to have the range we need. Our daughter has an XC40 Recharge and loves it, but she never drives it far.

I should probably add, I'm being offered $28k for our 2019 Signature we paid ~$35k for in December 2018, via Vroom. KBB trade-in value shows it should be closer to $30k. That's insane, but I'll take it!
1) I found an awesome Kia dealer that could be a BMW dealer if they wanted to. They're that cleanly and legit.

2) I ordered the GT, as I figured it wouldnt have the base model drivetrain quibbles...and it doesn't.

3) I put 700mi on an EV6 Wind. The GT is far more purposeful. Its a completely different car in every way. It feels very buttoned down, like the BMW M that Biermann wanted it to feel like when he designed it. He did not disappoint.

4) The range is underrated. Im averaging 3.2-3.5mi/kwh in mine, and thats on Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 4 tires. They are a hair louder than Id like, but I dont find them obnoxious except on concrete. That can get tiresome. To put in perspective, C&D got 190mi at 75mph out of the GT, and 230 out of a MYP. Yet they are rated 206 and 303...Edmunds got 238mi from the GT in their "real world drive loop test" and 263 from their MYP, and 283 from their GT Line awd. My car says at 80%, I have about 195mi, and after driving it, this number holds true. In 20f temps I was averaging 2.5mi/kwh though, but I will say it has always been more efficient than my volvo c40 was, and battery size is nesr identical, and it was rated 226mi epa. I averaged 36-42kwh/100mi in it. So yeah...GT range is massively underrated. If you drive it exclusively in GT mode, its close to accurate. My data is in Normal mode (still 429hp...).

Where are you driving this that ypu are further from a charger than this?

5) The MYP is hard to ignore at the current effective price. Very hard to. I would drive both and see if the dollars and smiles equal out.

6)My Volvo had an unsolvable driveline vibration. It behaved like an out of balance driveshaft. Volvo is aware and unable to fix all these complaints from multiple countries. Hard. Pass.

How were you able to do this?
My EV6 GT was in the shop. Long story...

Local dealer I took it to, I said it had a rattle in the back. They were convinced a rear shock isolator was bad and replaced the whole assy. It didn't do anything to fix it. Then they told me that the "panels are flopping in the wind hitting the car". At this point, I refused to return to them and took the car to the original selling dealer, 250mi away (because they are absolutely awesome, and many Kia dealers...are not.) Anyway, they immediately discovered it was the cabin pressure relief vent covers, and that while nothing seemed broken, they had not encountered it before. So they called tech line. Tech line was busy AF because it was just after a holiday weekend, so they told them to put me in a loaner. Again, this dealer is baller as hell, and put me in a 20 mile old EV6 Wind with Tech. I told them I drove a lot and lived 250mi away, on top of it. They just shrugged. So...

EV6 Wind, Sport (320hp), Typical Commute:
353503833_6329024480517031_3607615523667696789_n.jpg

EV6 GT, Typical Commute, Normal (429hp):
351666190_6414250628634063_7649503974415050927_n.jpg

(Okay, so maybe I drove 75ish in the GT and 78ish in the Wind, but you get the point).

Keep in mind these two cars have 19 vs 21" rims and 235 series vs 255 series tires, and one makes 576hp and one maxes out at 320hp...

But yeah, this is why I don't really stress about the range difference.

Charging speed > Range when it comes to actual EV ownership.

Oh...as to the cabin pressure flaps. It's just a bit of a noisy design coupled with the hard plastic acoustics in the rear hatch area. I've thrown a couple of foam acoustic panels in there and will see what that does, it's not bothering me anymore really, I just thought something was wrong. It's not. Design "feature", and my only real complaint about the car.

My EV6 GT was in the shop. Long story...

Local dealer I took it to, I said it had a rattle in the back. They were convinced a rear shock isolator was bad and replaced the whole assy. It didn't do anything to fix it. Then they told me that the "panels are flopping in the wind hitting the car". At this point, I refused to return to them and took the car to the original selling dealer, 250mi away (because they are absolutely awesome, and many Kia dealers...are not.) Anyway, they immediately discovered it was the cabin pressure relief vent covers, and that while nothing seemed broken, they had not encountered it before. So they called tech line. Tech line was busy AF because it was just after a holiday weekend, so they told them to put me in a loaner. Again, this dealer is baller as hell, and put me in a 20 mile old EV6 Wind with Tech. I told them I drove a lot and lived 250mi away, on top of it. They just shrugged. So...

EV6 Wind, Sport (320hp), Typical Commute:
353503833_6329024480517031_3607615523667696789_n.jpg

EV6 GT, Typical Commute, Normal (429hp):
351666190_6414250628634063_7649503974415050927_n.jpg

(Okay, so maybe I drove 75ish in the GT and 78ish in the Wind, but you get the point).

Keep in mind these two cars have 19 vs 21" rims and 235 series vs 255 series tires, and one makes 576hp and one maxes out at 320hp...

But yeah, this is why I don't really stress about the range difference.

Charging speed > Range when it comes to actual EV ownership.

Oh...as to the cabin pressure flaps. It's just a bit of a noisy design coupled with the hard plastic acoustics in the rear hatch area. I've thrown a couple of foam acoustic panels in there and will see what that does, it's not bothering me anymore really, I just thought something was wrong. It's not. Design "feature", and my only real complaint about the car.

So they were not able to come up with a fix after consulting their Tech line?

Sounds pretty minor in any case, maybe slightly less so because EVs are naturally quieter cars, so you'd notice any rattle a little more easily. I'd put this in the same category as the vent reflections in the CX-5.

Back