New (used) 2016 CX-5 - had a couple questions/concerns!

mochidust

:
Mazda CX-5
Hey guys - finally joined the Mazda family and just picked up a pre-owned 2016 CX-5 GT with 42k miles on it!
Loving it so far but had a couple of questions/concerns, hoping you guys can provide some thoughts.

1. Didn't notice this on the test drive, but seems like at idle/park, there is a very subtle engine shudder/vibration that occurs every other second maybe. It's subtle, but noticeable if you really feel for it. I've chalked this up to the car having quite some mileage for a 1.5yr old car, but any thoughts on if this is normal, and what I can possibly due to address? Car seems to be in excellent condition (bought from dealer so unsure of exact maintenance prior), but was thinking of adding in a can of seafoam to the next fuel-up hoping it would help clean up things a bit. Any thoughts/suggestions?

2. Kinda surprised about fuel economy. On my ~180 mile highway drive back from dealership, I noticed the current mileage would display between 23-26mpg, when driving at 70-80mph. Isn't this low? I thought freeway mpg would be around 30mpg. Doing some quick math (half a tank used for 180 miles, roughly 90% of which is freeway), reveals around ~24mpg. This seems pretty low to mean given the EPA estimates of 24/30, but not sure if these are just real world numbers. I've reset the average, and want to do further testing, but what do you guys usually get? Anything I can do to "freshen" up the car as best I can to achieve greater fuel economy?

Thanks all!

1. Haven't noticed anything like that on my 16 CX5. Not to say there isn't anything like that but if so, its certainly not anything that has every bothered me. I will check for that next time I drive.

2. I average about 28mpg in my cx5 with hwy/city being 50/50 or so. If not more city. Doing 70mph, I will always hit above 28mpg for the most part. 80mph, yeah that'll put you around 25-26. At least, for me. Make sure the tires are at optimal tire pressure. That's your quick and easy check that will greatly improve gas mileage. I keep mine at 38psi for awd.

1. 2014 here, my idle is very smooth. When I first got the car I thought it was off when idling.

2. I average about 27-28mpg 50/50. I can get 30 pretty easily on highway, but I tend to be a pretty spirited driver so my highway tends to be around 28. City tends to drop me down to 26. Honestly, it's a fun to drive vehicle so I really don't care too much about 1-2 mpg.

2016.5 AWD with 8,900 miles no shutter it’s smooth...

MPG is 24-26 if I drive semi aggressively, 28-31 hwy at 60-65 mph. Once I hit 70+ it does drop down 26-28mpg

I get some intermittent vibes while stopped in gear nothing alarming and i often drive it like a manual and pop in N while stopped which also saves a bit a fuel or just turn up the tunes;)

I almost always get north of 27 (not 30 unless I'm trying, not hitting traffic and not breaking 70 all 3 of which doesn't happen) but yes your mileage does seem low. Stock 19" wheels i assume but how about your tires? The one time I did see south of 25 was when i fitted 235/55-19 Pirelli Scorpion verdes. They were on step wider than stock and almost 15% heavier..bad combo damn near ruined it..was able to swap for stock size pirelli p7s which were better but i still much prefer the oe Toyo for the cx5.

Thanks for all the data points guys, very helpful.

On the engine shudder, it's very subtle, but as I've been monitoring it, it does seem consistent and frequent. At almost every stop, it'll seem like the car shudders ever so slightly every couple seconds or so. Wonder if and what kind of poor maintenance from previous owner could have led to this and how might to address it. Was thinking dumping a can of seafoam in the tank, anybody have good exp with it?

On mpg, mine seems on the low side then - I'll continue to monitor and see if it stays this way. Tires are brand new put on by the dealer, Continental TrueContact 225/55R19.

Don’t take any notice of that trip computer, do tank to tank calculations. If that hasn’t been zeroed it will be showing you compound averages.

-Don't do the SeaFoam

-your dealer put on pretty good tires,check the air pressure,adjust to 38 psi all the way around...

-16.5 AWD here,5300 miles,get 26.5 mpg here on highway running 77-85mph consistently,a little under 25mpg all-around

2016 GT,AWD, 21,000 miles. No shudder. 28 MPG 16 mile commute to work light traffic in morning, Moderate in afternoon. 30 + MPG highway but I stay 70 MPH or less

My best trip mpg was 35.2 Sweet speeds for CX5 are 30-50 mph. Tires at 37 front and 36/35 rear. Rotate tires every 8K miles.
No matter how i drive my avg never drops under 27. Worse trips are short ones but even in bad traffic I hit 22 atleast for that trip and make up to 27 for the tank. Best tank avg is 30.xx I drive 18 miles each way with 28-33 mph being avg. speed and speeds range till 80+

Don’t take any notice of that trip computer, do tank to tank calculations. If that hasn’t been zeroed it will be showing you compound averages.

I've used an app to track mileage for 8 months now. I just stopped using it because it matches almost to the number with what the car tells me I'm getting.

Seafoam isn't going to hurt anything so you can go ahead and try running a can thru a tank of gas. It might help a bit to clean some of the injectors and what not. I've always gone back and forth between think seafoam is good to use and useful and thinking its just a bit of snake oil marketing. I've never had it hurt a car. I think with todays gasolines and the higher amounts of detergents in them it's not as useful as it once was.

70-80mph you will see lower mpg's. You are asking the car to punch through that much more air at a higher velocity and your mpg's take a hit. Keep it around 70pmh and you will see better mpg. Although the CX-5 is pretty aerodynamic it's not a super car slipping thru the air.

At 42,000mi you might have the start of some engine build up going on which is robbing you of power. Try the seafoam see if it helps, if not ask the dealer to take a look at it and see if they notice anything. Could be any number things. Does it have a fresh air filter? Has the EGR valve ever been clean, what about the MAF sensor? Check the spark plugs, lots of short trips in that 42K could have them worn out. Oh and make sure your tires are inflated correctly. I have always found best mpg at 2 psi over recommend, so for my GT with 19's that's 38 psi

Try turning off the AC compressor, could be you are feeling it engage and disengage at idle which is normal...

I am not sure if this is a CX-5 issue or not but my wife's Mazda 3 had the shudder issue and we took it to the dealer and it had a broken leaking motor mount, which does appear to be a common 3 issue. Once that was replaced it was smooth again.

I'm a new CX-5 owner. 2016, automatic, AWD. I do a lot of short (less than 5 miles) stop and go commutes in the city with traffic and traffic lights every few blocks, with a few longer (20ish mile) highway drives per week. I am averaging 19MPG according to the car!! (I have not calculated it myself yet) There has to be something wrong, right? I understand that short commutes with lots of stop and go will cause MPGs to go down, but if the advertised MPG is 24 CITY, I wouldn't expect to get 5 MPGs less than that in the city.

EDIT: My last car, which I was driving the same commutes with, would average 21 MPG even though it was rated 19 city. So I find it hard to believe that I would get 2 MPG better than advertised on one car and 5 MPGs less than advertised on the Cx-5 while doing the same driving in both vehicles, unless something was wrong.

Last edited:
I'm a new CX-5 owner. 2016, automatic, AWD. I do a lot of short (less than 5 miles) stop and go commutes in the city with traffic and traffic lights every few blocks, with a few longer (20ish mile) highway drives per week. I am averaging 19MPG according to the car!! (I have not calculated it myself yet) There has to be something wrong, right? I understand that short commutes with lots of stop and go will cause MPGs to go down, but if the advertised MPG is 24 CITY, I wouldn't expect to get 5 MPGs less than that in the city.

Short trips are hard on these GDI engines. Take it out for a longer drive to see the difference. Your driving habits will also impact mpg. Obviously a feather foot will do better than a lead foot.

When you are at a stop, you are getting 0 mpg.
When you accelerate from a stop to 10 mph and back to stop (stop and go traffic),you are getting 6-10mpg.

Your drive cycle does not sound like an efficient one.(bang)

Compare your stop and go day MPG, with your 20 mile trip days MPG and see what the diff is?

Last edited:
Back