New to the Forum, check out my progress so far!

Got another update here on the Mazda bought some more parts for her. Picked up a driver side control arm, thermostat, intake gasket kit, bottom motor mount, PCV valve, oil catch can and I got an easyguard pke push start alarm system for her. No need to ever touch the key again the alarm system will be a nice touch with the push start and the passive arming and disarming.

PXL_20210212_212623377.jpg

PXL_20210212_212643756.jpg

Also I should have some pictures shortly of the rear with the stereo upgrades got half the dash out already but then got some more power wire for the stereo yesterday so I started finishing up the back.

I can't seem to find an easy way to reach the pcv valve. To me it looks like the whole front end of the engine bay will need to be pull apart. I hope you have a better method for it.

I can't seem to find an easy way to reach the pcv valve. To me it looks like the whole front end of the engine bay will need to be pull apart. I hope you have a better method for it.
Yup you need to remove the intake manifold in order to get to it as it's under it that's why I had to buy the intake gasket kit.

Got the dash out finally!!! Been cold here the last few days and my shop is on propane for heat so I haven't been out there much in order to save on the propane.
I must say tho, it was a really crappy job to do! Only worse car iv done aside from this was an early 2000s Jetta but will be all worth it in the end.
Also noticed there ant much room depth wise at the top of the dash where I want to put the speakers. Looks like I may have to fab up a bracket/spacer to make it work.
PXL_20210217_023507164.jpg
PXL_20210217_023409153.jpg
PXL_20210217_023343290.jpg

It nearly broke my back just to replace a cabin filter in my 5. I think the design pitch of the dash went like this: "Let us make it compact to maximize the interior space." "What about serviceability?" "The guy got fired last week." "Ah ok, proceed."

It nearly broke my back just to replace a cabin filter in my 5. I think the design pitch of the dash went like this: "Let us make it compact to maximize the interior space." "What about serviceability?" "The guy got fired last week." "Ah ok, proceed."
LOL yeah I kind of think that too but it wasn't horrible. Doing a Jetta is definitely much worse! But take my eclipse spyder for instance, I can have the dash out in an hour tops

Last edited:
Quick update on the Mazda.
My pke alarm is fully installed just need to finish buttoning up the interior and some more of the audio system with the new amp I got.
Happened to find a set of Mazdaspeed 3 complete front brakes with calipers rotors and pads. So I'll be doing that swap real soon. I also happen to find a throttle body spacer near me that was dirt cheap brand new in the box so also be putting that on.
I will be starting the intake manifold, PCV valve and catch can install soon so I'll make a thread right up on it.
Also happen to get heated seat kits one for every seat in the Mazda but I may just do the two fronts and middle cuz I have to take the whole seat apart in order to install them will probably be a bit of a job.

I always feel Mazda 5 lack decent braking power with factory setup. I wonder if it is because they use the same brake setup from the Mazda 3 of the same platform. The lightest Mazda 3 of that gen is 2,800 lb but Mazda 5 is 3,400 lb. That's like Mazda 3 with three adult passengers sitting in the car all the time!

I always feel Mazda 5 lack decent braking power with factory setup. I wonder if it is because they use the same brake setup from the Mazda 3 of the same platform. The lightest Mazda 3 of that gen is 2,800 lb but Mazda 5 is 3,400 lb. That's like Mazda 3 with three adult passengers sitting in the car all the time!
That my friend is exactly why I wanted these! Since I've had it I've always felt like the brakes lack huge.
I also drive a newer BMW and the brakes on BMWs are insane and I have a bigger brake kit on my Eclipse as well, then our other car is a newer Cadillac which also has really good brakes. So I kind of just wanted that in the Mazda. Every time I get in the BMW after driving the Mazda the first time I break, I almost eat the steering wheel because I forget how good they are compared to the Mazda LOL

Another quick update on the Mazda.
I picked up Mazdaspeed 3 gas pedal assembly today along with the pedal covers for the rest and the dead pedal. Also finally got a hold of a nice rear wiper motor with arm cuz mine has been missing since I bought it and the factory fog lights as well!
It seems as if I'm getting parts quicker than I can put them on lol.
Hopefully get this interior buttoned up soon so I can show off the custom gauges, custom heated seats, the pedals and the stereo system.
Now I need to get my parts washer finally going and clean up those brakes to start getting all that stuff on.
Also oddly enough the guy I bought the stuff from has a turboed Mazda 5 and I found out a lot of juicy information!
Minus $1,000 for the tuning I can probably get the rest done for about a thousand or less.
Seems as if I already have injectors that will work from my eclipse that's one little hint. Hehe.
So I think my Turbo Mazda 5 project will probably come to life at some point either this summer or this winter.

PXL_20210314_035608874.MP.jpg

PXL_20210314_035617558.jpg
PXL_20210314_035626681.jpg

Hey everyone how's it going. Got some more updates on my build.
I know I'm kind of jumping all over the place with everything LOL.
Almost got the heated seats done I'll have pictures of that soon already got the switches in and harness ran and the driver seat done.
Almost got all my interior go back together plus my push start alarm system as well looks really good as soon as I get it all cleaned up I'll have some pics.
I also started my PCV valve and catch can and while I was at it I cleaned and painted everything flat black that I could to make the engine bay look nice and clean.
Here's some pics of all the engine stuff I've been doing.

The before.

PXL_20210402_003853431.jpg

Painted the passenger engine mount, alternator, starter, tensioner pulley and a few little brackets.
PXL_20210404_045945443.jpg

Got my new PCV valve in and my hoses ran for my catch can. look how beautiful that alternator and starter looking flat black ☺️
PXL_20210405_054716071.jpg

Then I cleaned up the intake manifold and some of the brackets and hosings and stuff to make everything look new again.
Here's a picture of where I'm at right now. She definitely looks 10 times better with everything flat black and clean.
PXL_20210406_032540993.MP.jpg

I also got a little gift today from a buddy and he gave me a 6-speed transmission from a Mazda speed 3.
So if anybody knows is any good write-ups of putting the mazdaspeed transmission on a regular 2.3 please point me in the right direction. I know it bolts up but I'm wondering if I can use my factory flywheel, pressure plate and disc or if I have to get the Mazdaspeed 3 stuff. Here's a pic of the tranny, he couldn't get the rest of the CV shaft off but it took me about 10 minutes and I got that sucker out LOL.
So hopefully soon I'll be getting that swap on the go.
received_214120443803560.jpeg

I also got a newer style from bumper from an 09 and the fog lights as well so I'm actually going to try to paint this whole thing myself I might go all flat black maybe some of you might have some ideas on what I should paint it it will be my first attempt that actually painting an entire car.

Any particular reason for using the MS3 transmission? Yes, it's a limited slip, but the 6th gear MS3 and your regular 5th gear both have the same final ratio, so you won't be getting any better mileage. (The 6 speed weighs a good bit more, so you may actually lose mileage due to the increased weight).

Gaining an LSD is definitely the biggest upgrade, I'm just wondering if it's worth that hassle.

Any particular reason for using the MS3 transmission? Yes, it's a limited slip, but the 6th gear MS3 and your regular 5th gear both have the same final ratio, so you won't be getting any better mileage. (The 6 speed weighs a good bit more, so you may actually lose mileage due to the increased weight).

Gaining an LSD is definitely the biggest upgrade, I'm just wondering if it's worth that hassle.
Because it's stronger and I plan on going turbo on this thing I already have most of the parts in line for it. Also 6 speed is just so much cooler lol.

The amount of work don't bother me we have six other vehicles I can choose from to drive so if this thing's down for a month or so, so be it.

My buddy got me the ABS module cuz mine's gone and my pedal is soft and he told me it was a real big job to do in a real big pain. he lives about 45 minutes away from me and before he even got here I already had it pretty much out lol.
I'm never bothered by labor it's a good thing about having a shop I guess and other cars to back up on

Well another update on the Mazda! Must say my engine bay clean up and painting was a success!! Very happy with how it came out it's a huge difference compared to what it was when I got it. Also got my throttle body spacer in in my oil catch can all done.
Ended up cleaning out the intake manifold as well got all the carbon out of it, replaced manifold gaskets along with throttle body gasket, installed my new thermostat as well, put a drop in k&n filter in the air box, I also already have a custom pipe to feed the air box from the front grill and cleaned up every single ground under the engine bay.
She starts up on a dime now that was a big improvement! Also replace my abs module as well and my brakes are all good now no more soft pedal yay!
Hear some before and after pics.

The before
PXL_20210402_003853431.jpg

The After.
PXL_20210408_203522205.jpg
PXL_20210408_203553500.MP.jpg
PXL_20210408_203543437.jpg
PXL_20210408_203537756.jpg

Last edited:
Hey there everyone!

Sorry I haven't had much progress going up about the Mazda. I actually bought two more cars in the last couple of months one of which I just got a week and a half ago so they have taken up some of my time.

But quick update my subwoofer box is almost done. I just finished painting it, now to let that dry and then I can stick her all together.

I completed most of the interior off in the Mazda as well my gauges are all done custom red LED even the infotainment which I made my own clear red plastic piece to slit in between that makes it light up red.

I also got my custom bass knob installed as well and my sub amp plus my capacitor.

I've also got my hands on a rear sway bar and front as well so I'll be picking those up soon and I think I might go with the 2010 facelift front bumper as I got a hold of that for next to nothing with factory fogs.

I also tried to fit the front calipers but it's a no-go with my wheels that I have on now. So I'll be looking for some new Wheels I think I'm going to try to go 20s on it as soon as we get another daily driver vehicle for the wife and I can turn the Honda Odyssey we bought a month and a half ago into my daily work vehicle and then just go crazy on the Mazda.

Pretty sure the plans for the Mazda now will be to rip out the back seats and go to 15 inch subs instead with another sub amplifier on the other side where my capacitor is now. Stick the speed 3 brakes on it and find a set of 20 inch wheels that work and I still plan to try to fit a turbo kit on here for as cheap as possible but reliable at the same time.
Here are some pics of the progress and some things that I've got going on I also included a pic of the new car I bought a week and a half ago since that will probably take up most of my time after I get my engine in my Eclipse which is currently on my stand and getting cleaned.

There will be more updates to come soon for the Mazda I guarantee that!

The sub box almost ready!

16250828647344537098358363471677.jpg

The red gauges and infotainment.

16250829374128913769827198646085.jpg

16250829897811218560126155135090.jpg

My custom baby Yoda bass knob.

16250830514302470829886919025850.jpg
16250830910064770836463985676114.jpg

The sub amp and capacitor all hidden away I'll be making a little window with a plexiglass piece to show them off. They're also in their perfect so I can put the plastic panels back for now and you don't even notice that anything is back there at all.

16250837283182444388529140213092.jpg

16250836717725694360448604100899.jpg

The push start button and alarm system I put in with pke passive arming and disarming.

16250831496197341469826188338697.jpg

And last but not least our newest member of the family. I present to you my newest project a 1951 Ford Custom Tudor sedan with 3 on the tree shifting and a flathead V8 😁

IMG_20210626_110159_01.jpg

PXL_20210626_030612275.jpg

PXL_20210626_030621270.jpg

Attachments

• 16250836276964728422515880825166.jpg
    16250836276964728422515880825166.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 131
Last edited:
Back