New to Mazda Bluetooth Automatic Play Question

:
2017 Mazda CX-5 GS
I have a 2017 GS and an iPhone XS. When my phone is connected by bluetooth, the car automatically turns on any audio that I had been playing from the phone every time I restart it. For example, if I had listened to some music or a podcast earlier, then paused or stopped it, when I turn the car off and back on, it automatically restarts the audio whether I want it or not. I can’t find any setting on the car that has anything to do with automatic playback.

Another issue with it is that if I am half way through a podcast, pause it, mute the audio, turn that car off for a while, when I come back and start the car, it will begin playing the podcast even though I can no longer hear it playing in the car. I might notice sometime later that it has played through the podcast and into another, and I have to go back and try to find my place. This is nuts.

Is this a “feature?” If so, can I turn it off?

Great website. Thanks for any help you can give.

I'm not familiar with iOS, but on my Android, there is an option under the Playback settings of the app that lets me change what happens when my phone connects to my car. I can set it so that it automatically begins playing, or I can disable it. Check your music player's in-app settings.

I have a 2017 GS and an iPhone XS. When my phone is connected by bluetooth, the car automatically turns on any audio that I had been playing from the phone every time I restart it. For example, if I had listened to some music or a podcast earlier, then paused or stopped it, when I turn the car off and back on, it automatically restarts the audio whether I want it or not. I can’t find any setting on the car that has anything to do with automatic playback.

Another issue with it is that if I am half way through a podcast, pause it, mute the audio, turn that car off for a while, when I come back and start the car, it will begin playing the podcast even though I can no longer hear it playing in the car. I might notice sometime later that it has played through the podcast and into another, and I have to go back and try to find my place. This is nuts.

Is this a “feature?” If so, can I turn it off?

Great website. Thanks for any help you can give.

Mine does the same thing, except that I like that it does this.

Without delving into the settings I know one way to prevent this. Before you turn the car off select a different input on the infotainment system, USB, FM, or whatever, anything other than your phone. Or you can turn the phone's bluetooth off before starting the car. That will force the system to select another input on it's own.

Mine does the same thing, except that I like that it does this.

Without delving into the settings I know one way to prevent this. Before you turn the car off select a different input on the infotainment system, USB, FM, or whatever, anything other than your phone. Or you can turn the phone's bluetooth off before starting the car. That will force the system to select another input on it's own.

True, and that's what I’ve been doing, it just doesn’t seem like I should have to. I’ve only had the car a week, so I’m still getting used to it’s systems. Thanks.

I'm not familiar with iOS, but on my Android, there is an option under the Playback settings of the app that lets me change what happens when my phone connects to my car. I can set it so that it automatically begins playing, or I can disable it. Check your music player's in-app settings.

I'll check that. I never thought about it being the phone because my last car, a BMW, never did this.

Good thought, but no such setting in iOS.

Last edited:
iT'S TOTALLY THE PHONES FAULT. wHAT APP DO YOU USE FOR MUSIC?

(ACCI-cAPS)

iT'S TOTALLY THE PHONES FAULT. wHAT APP DO YOU USE FOR MUSIC?

(ACCI-cAPS)
I don't think it is, because it doesn't happen in any other vehicle that the phone is connected to on bluetooth. I use a variety of apps for music, apple music of course, amazon music, also this happens with an app for radio stations, and my podcast app. Again, only in this vehicle. All other vehicles connect to the phone immediately, but don't open apps and start playing on their own.

I don't think it is, because it doesn't happen in any other vehicle that the phone is connected to on bluetooth. I use a variety of apps for music, apple music of course, amazon music, also this happens with an app for radio stations, and my podcast app. Again, only in this vehicle. All other vehicles connect to the phone immediately, but don't open apps and start playing on their own.

On my particular device, the audio app has to actually be open (meaning it is running in the background in a paused state). If I reboot the phone and the app hasn't been opened, it will not automatically play when connected to bluetooth.

All that aside, if everything else is the same and audio does not automatically play in other vehicles but it does with your CX-5, that would appear to either be an issue with your Bluetooth profile or the infotainment system itself. Are you able to access your phone's Bluetooth profile and settings in the infotainment menu?

You could also try deleting your phone's bluetooth profile/saved info from the car's infotainment, then pair it again and see if that makes any difference.

There could be a command coming from the car to "Autoplay on connect" however there is no setting in the car that allows you to change this behavior (unless something has changed in the newer cars?). So you need to solve the issue on the phone side.

Funny how most search results are people complaining that this DOESN'T work. lol

Try turning off "Car Play"?

My 2022 does that.

And I'm trying to turn prevent it from auto playing?

Thank you
I never found a way to prevent it. If I don’t want it to auto play, I switch the car to FM radio and mute the sound before I get out. Otherwise, it will start up whatever I had playing, or it will start up my Apple Music list, even though I haven’t played from Apple Music in weeks. It WILL play something at all times. Apparently Mazda has no concept of anyone wanting to drive their car without something playing. I find it very odd, but I’ve learned to live with it.

Back